Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Rok of the Reds, which is very good.
The Barney Rubble reference in particular had me giggling at least a full chapter after I'd read it, but I do wonder what normals enticed in by the thought of a footy graphic novel might make of the very comics-y storytelling techniques like thought bubbles or the stadium banter between fans.  Cornwall is great, especially for a rookie find, and the footy sequences are actually well-realised compared to how I normally see the sport depicted, with none of the static or 'stock image'-looking panels that typify footy comics even nowadays.
Wagner and Grant can do this stuff in their sleep, or at the very least, they can do it while half-bladdered like they did between 1982 and 1988 when they called it Doomlord.  There's no point listing the comparisons between this and that, as this is more obviously arch and knowing about its ludicrous premise - which I'd argue owes a great deal more to Doomlord's fellow New Eagle stablemate, Star Rider - and for good measure it throws in some broad humor and drama to keep the pacing and tone agreeable.
It feels like the lads were angling to develop something that simultaneously channeled theirs and UK comics' glory days of the late 1970s and mid-80s, and which could be developed as a potential live-action enterprise.  It's a shame it doesn't seem to have paid off for them, as sports comics seem like a genre that - while not something I'm terribly interested in - might be waiting for its time in the sun when newer audiences brought in by the MCU tire of comics telling the same few superhero stories again and again.
This was a very good comic and I enjoyed it.

Barrington Boots

I'm now alternating reading Stainless Steel Rat books with continuing the Horus Heresy series, and the experience is like having a small bowl of fresh fruit salad after a particulary dense and ponderous sandwich.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

shaolin_monkey

The Ministry for the Future - Kim Stanley Robinson

It is science fiction, but grounded very firmly in science fact - an extrapolation based on our current understanding about how societies around the world cope with climate change in 5 - 20 years time.

It's absolutely fucking brutal, but is one of those pieces of work which feels super-important, and absolutely cover-to-cover enthralling.

Add it to your Xmas list.

Hawkmumbler

BLOOD MERIDIAN by Cormac McCarthy

Cor. Bit good 'innit.

pictsy

I finished Foundation and Empire last night.  Only three more books to go.  Honestly, the Mule storyline doesn't engage me enough and the whole book focuses on reactive characters rather than the proactive characters of Foundation.  I think some of the shifts are important for the concept of the series, but having reactive characters twice in a row is a bit much.  Especially as both times it presented as if they are trying to make a difference and it's clear throughout both stories that, nope, they aren't.  It's not even a farce.  The first story that does it is fine, it's the Mule storyline specifically that I struggle with, which is a rarity with Asimov's writing.  I think it is why I have struggled in the past to reread the Foundation series.  At least now I can recognise why.

Now I'm over the hump, I have three books left.  Even though I have enjoyed reading 11 Asimov books in a row, I'm looking forward to something different.  Terry Pratchett, maybe.  Or some trades I haven't read.  Got the last two Transmetropolitans, couple of Hell Boys and a Swamp Thing still to read.

broodblik

Took me awhile but I just finished Wild's End Volume 1. This was just a delight to read. A very deja vu type of story which gives me a remote feeling that it is World of the Worlds in a new interesting jacket. This is also brought to us by two of my favourite tooth creators in Dan Abnett and INJ Culbard. Abnett certainly is proofing to be one of the best currently writers in comics.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 28 December, 2020, 12:09:49 PM
Took me awhile but I just finished Wild's End Volume 1. This was just a delight to read. A very deja vu type of story which gives me a remote feeling that it is World of the Worlds in a new interesting jacket. This is also brought to us by two of my favourite tooth creators in Dan Abnett and INJ Culbard. Abnett certainly is proofing to be one of the best currently writers in comics.

Read the rest, read the rest, read the rest....

wedgeski

The Rhythm of War (Stormlight Archive vol. 4).

broodblik

Just finished both vol 2 and 3 of Wild's End and it is a wonderful tale. Highly recommended, especially for any Abnett or Culbard fans.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

Seconded. Wild's End is an absolute treat.

Colin YNWA

For all Dabnett's wonders in the Prog this would be my fav of his ...

... okay maybe after lawless...

and Brink... maybe The Out

Jez Dabnett gives us all sorts of wonders! But Wilds End 1, 2 and 3 are all absolutely brilliant.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

The mention of Wilds End here the other day, finally prodded me into ordering volume three. I was slightly alarmed that there didnt appear to be any comics- but once I'd verified that they had actually published it as an "original graphic novel", rather than a series, I was able to push that button.
Amazin tell me it's due to be delivered tomorrow- and i cant bloody wait. The first two series were... just perfect in every way, so am hoping Dabnett and Culbard didnt drop the ball at the last hurdle.

Thanks to whoever originally mentioned it!

SBT

broodblik

If you liked the first two volumes you will like the last one as well. It ends with an open-ended ending but I was satisfied with everything beginning, middle and ending.

Bolt-01

Personally I picked it up after Hawkmonger recommended it to me. I'm pretty sure that lots of Squaxx here have also mentioned it too, but it was that young rapscallion that prompted me.

Mind you, this year I think Colin has been more responsible for my impulse buying than anyone else!

TordelBack

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 30 December, 2020, 08:33:05 AM
Mind you, this year I think Colin has been more responsible for my impulse buying than anyone else!

That man is the very devil himself.