Main Menu

spawn

Started by mogzilla, 29 January, 2014, 06:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

Anyone else read this? I was a fan waay back first getting into it via the Viking spawn figure I bought my nephew and started another mild obsession.

I picked up a copy of the comic (I think it was around the time the heap made an appearance) and got hooked and managed to get the titan trade paperbacks even though the buggers fell apart after a few reads. Loved McFarlane's work form the go and capullos blew them away !  I lost interest around the time of angel medinas run when there were vampires  all over the shop .
  now I'm reading the new run with jim downing and can't help but miss McFarlane,capullo and medina...the current guy's work feels a bit muddy and dull and the story is slooooow .

I'm sticking with it to see were it goes with jim and if they'll find a way to bring al back as blond surfer dude doesn't do justice to the costume like a burnt corpse .

I know a lot of folk have no love for todd's empire but I don't care ,I love the guys art and the creation of spawn but do any of you here share that love?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

klute

I followed the spawn and wildcats crossover which i quite enjoyed.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Fragminion

I have tried checking out the Current Spawn title but the art and story makes NO SENSE at ALL!  That plus it seems that Spawn hardly seems to appear in it.

Recrewt

I loved the original Spawn comics on the 90s, thought it was a great concept and the artwork was stunning.  Unfortunately as time went on it became clear that they had run out of ideas and the story just wasn't up to it. 

When I came back to comics last year I was surprised that Spawn was still going as I would have thought it would have been canned by now.  I don't really have any desire to read the new stuff but I will pick up some of the tpbs of the older stuff to relive those glory days of the 90s.   

mogzilla

Quote from: Fragminion on 30 January, 2014, 02:35:17 PM
I have tried checking out the Current Spawn title but the art and story makes NO SENSE at ALL!  That plus it seems that Spawn hardly seems to appear in it.

yep,its confusing it pisses on all the old continuity now k7 leetha (the cossie) is a force on its own trying to dominate jim whos a spawn but not dead and a healer celeb to boot.theres some vampires (the main reason I gave up the first time) and clown has redeemer on side whos also a vamp...curse was in it but was killed by haunt who's floating around til they rtelaunch his comic ...and spawn does appear but only when jims apparently asleep.

and wasn't cog lord of hell? whys he back?

I do not like the art despite trying to as I didn't rate Ashley woods work on hellspawn until much later ...
I am determined to stick with it and see where it goes.
heres hoping it will go somewhere and they'll get an artist who can grab my attention.

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Fragminion

I wish the animated HBO series would get picked back up and at least given a decent ENDING!

Hawkmumbler

I need to start reading Spawn. Are the Omnibus editions any good?

mogzilla

the origins tpbs are a good start and come in regular paperback or deluxe hardcover there is a massive black and white collection of issues 1-50 and a bog paper edition of the curse of the spawn.
  some of the series spinoffs are collected to like the hellspawn and dark ages in a nice hardback coffee table book. I found amazon the best place to find them and have found speedyhen both cheap and quick!

dancornwell

I stop reading it soon after Greg Capullo left. Went back a couple of times but got bored. The stories were dull and the they got rid of Al Simmons!! Followed Capullo over to Haunt but again stopped reading when he left that. Thank god he went onto Batman! Great work on that. Spawn needs to change. A new artist who can bring back the crowds. The arts a little dark, moody and a bit to realistic. I think he also uses some photos within it. Not a fan of that really. Hope it picks up soon. I also heard they are relaunching Haunt. Let's see how that goes.

mogzilla

indications are Al Simmons could be coming back. Jim called sara "wanda" this month and a few issues ago there was a spawn looking fella  in the Vatican vaults they say was from medieval times...could al have displaced himself ? gone into hiding? heres hoping... I want my spawns to be undead, crispy and slumming it in alleys.  whats angel medina up to these days? I'm actually getting into his stuff as I collect the new origins books...