Main Menu

Spiderman on Channel 4 News

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 22 January, 2008, 04:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

Noticed this report on Channel 4 news...

I've never read Spiderman but it sounds like a good idea to me, you can't go round having married Superheroes, it kills the whole 'outsider' thing (it's bad enough when sit-com characters get married).

ADE

Link: http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/arts_entertainment/film_tv/spiderman+cuts+his+ties/1361467" target="_blank">Stop the press: Attractive girl reads comic book..

nofuture

big terrible retcon reboot reboll*x

the shutdown man

I don't really read Spiderman anymore, but this sounds like such a stupid idea. The Dallas analogy is appropriate. If they want to get rid of a married Spiderman, why not kill Mary-Jane? I know they'd probably resurrect her at some point, but at least you'd have a vengeful Spiderman on the streets, and surely that would open up more storylines than whatever they're thinking of here.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

El Spurioso

HYPHEN!  SPIDERHYPHENMAN! RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAA!

(Couldn't give a rat's arse, frankly, but I've been told off before and I like to Spread The Love)

Dark Jimbo

Pah. It's a sad world when this makes Channel 4 news. I dream of an alternative reality where the media embraces our homegrown characters instead (yeah, right), and Fargo's return in Origins or PJ Maybe's shock rise to Mayor was deemed worthy of a page on their website, not some lazy macguffin created by hack US writers to undo a tangle of unwanted continuity.

Pah, and indeed, Bah.
@jamesfeistdraws

nofuture

JOE SOAP

Marvel comics are such a load of Bollocks.

vzzbux

I find the media totally backwards, this news hits CH4 but a cock on the front cover of last weeks prog doesn't. This could've been perfect publicity for tooth.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

What's wrong with a cock?, whereas Marvel have been producing cock for years. The priorities are are more or less right, 2th shouldn't be on the news because genitalia is on the cover.

vzzbux

I'm not saying it as a negative. Something like that would surly increase sales.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

While not a regular Spiderhyphenman reader since my so-called youth (loved those first 50 issues, presented to me in big A6(?) 80's digests), I was suckered in by the awfulness of the OMD premise.  

I've now read two of the Bright New Day issues, and actually they're grand Spiderman fare (at least the 2nd one is better than the first), but I still find myself asking "why couldn't this story have been told with a married/divored/bereaved (again) Spidey?".  In short, what was the point?  Couldn't we just ahve headed off in (yet another) new direction.  Isn't this just Ultimate Spidey v.2.0?  Unfortunately, no.  

One of the current plot points centres on a mugger twigging that he's just mugged a plainclothes Spiderman, and trying to get back his fenced credit card to find out his identity... something that was revealed to the world during Civil War - something that hasn't been ret-conned into oblivion.  I can buy Joe Schmoe forgetting the real name/face of every previously-pseudonymous mask, but is the Daily Bugle likely to have dropped that ball?  But right there in the 2nd issue Peter is begged to photograph Spidey in action, yet again.  Apparently, we and everyone else is just supposed to forget it ever happend, without any actual 'reset' .  Preposterous - if you're going to piss everyone off with a reboot, then ferfuxache address the big problems with the strip's recent history.

PreacherCain

The world knowing Spidey's identity was also retconned in the final issue of One More Day, in the deal made with Mephisto.

TordelBack

Well, that's what I had understood from part three of OMD, but it seemed to be completely contradicted by the childish splash-summary in the back of BND.  And if Peter now didn't unmask in Civil War then what the hell did happen?  What did he do?  Just joined Cap straight away?  If people had just 'forgotten' things, that'd be one thing, but Mephisto seems to have actively changed the corse of events.  It's a right bloody mess.  

Bico

I'm interested to see how the book is affected in the long term - Marvel are telling us they're making it more accessible to teens, but they've spent the last five years telling us that teens don't read comics anymore because they're too busy texting their mates videos of themselves happy-slapping someone while they racially abuse complete strangers on Xbox Live to take five whole minutes to read a comic, so the logic of the exercise escapes me.
The actual post-event books are perfectly fine comics, it just seems questionable to make the big Spidey event one that drives away the readership that's most likely to hang in with the title once the hype-fuelled sales peak goes away in a few months.  Presumably once that happens, they'll just schedule another big event for the title.

Satanist

Part of me wants to go and see what John Byrne has to say about this but deep down Im too scared.

And dont really care enough about spiderman.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?