Main Menu

The Thing 2 (prequal)

Started by vzzbux, 30 January, 2008, 10:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

I heard whispers of this quite a few months ago thinking this doesn't need one as the 82 version was sound and still holds out visually, then totally forgot about it.

Rummaging around on random Google searches happened across this one and the concept arts look astounding.

I suppose only time will tell on this one.

V

Link: http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_10734.html" target="_blank">Can this work?

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-gallery/albums/VGP-TheThing/VGP-TheThingRemake-12.jpg">
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

mogzilla

what does the "X" bit on dredds helmet do? is it just for show or does it have a purpose? i reckon its a projector thingy for displaying a HUD  or thermal imaging.

any fellow nerdy ideas?

Art

Looks like this one was inspired by the alien in the original short story.

Oh, and anything they make will suck and completely miss the point, FWIW.

Link: http://www.moviesonline.ca/gallery.php?movie=VGP-TheThing&image=VGP-TheThingRemake-7.jpg" target="_blank">TheThingRemake-7.jpg

Ignatzmonster

*I suppose only time will tell on this one. *

Don't even need to break out the time machine to know this is going to suck. How many directors can top Carpenter? And of those guys who's going to sign up for this project? Maybe they can get the guy from Memories of Murder and the Host.

the shutdown man

I heard rumours about this about a year ago, when it wasn't going to be a prequel but a remake. Now, I'm not automatically against remakes, some of them can work, some of them are pointless. I wouldn't think the Thing needs a remake, since the 82 version pretty much nailed it, and I don't think CGI could improve on the gooey effects of the day. But what gave me some hope for it was that the writer attached was one Ronald D. "Battlestar" Moore, who clearly knows how to write a script about paranoia and mistrust, so that made me think "wait and see". I haven't heard any more since though, so I don't know if he's still attached, or if it's still a remake or what.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

TordelBack

Couldn't a Thing prequel just be At The Mountains of Madness?

Proudhuff

It won't beat the Edinburgh Film Festival launch of the film where a unfortunate chap had an
epiletic fit in the front row, so many people just one exit!

Any one play the PS2 game, I've never really tried to get passed the first level and wondered if it was worth persevering?

ProudHuff
DDT did a job on me

The Big Man

I've got the game for the PC and it's pretty good, no sign of Kurt Russell though.
"Is there a problem here ?"

dweezil2

So can we expect a crap CGI fest, aimed at an ADHD inflicted teen audience and totally pissing on the original's memory?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Satanist

I dont know whether I find this or the proposed Escape from New York remake more annoying.

Which is annoying in itself.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Peter Wolf

Yes we most probably can.Its the in thing these days.If i even hear of teenagers in this film then i will avoid it like the plague especially after watching AvP 2 .That film has largely killed off any faith i have in mainstream cinema.

I dont ever want to see another film with american teenagers in it as i am sick to the F ing back teeth of them all.

I call these sorts of films Fast Food Films.Lots of fast cut scenes and moving cameras.No room at all for subtlety.

I had attention span deficit when i was that age but never found it a problem sitting through a 2 - 2.5 hour film that was for adults without being bored.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Bico

Shapeshifting alien invaders is a bit... 'lazy' as a storytelling device these days, surely?

All the same, since no-one expects thing 2 to be a patch on the original, it might stand a chance of being enjoyed in isolation as some sort of homage to the original - if you can avoid all the preening pre-publicity cast interviews where they tell you it's the greatest experience of their lives and all that other shit they come out with when they've got a movie to whore.

vzzbux

I was hoping this will be the events with the Norwegian camp, discovery and exploration of the alien ship before they blew the shit out of it.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Mardroid

I would have preferred a prequel or a sequel than a remake. A remake just doesn't need to be made. For one thing, despite being an 80 film it doesn't feel all that 80s. For one thing the effects are very good. I mean they made a guys head sprout antenae and legs and skuttle about look fairly convincing. That's got to be one of the freakiest things I've seen in horror.

I'm not completely against remakes in that Carpenters Thing is actually a remake of a black and white film itself. His version was a vast improvement though as the other one (which I have seem) was basically a huge lumbering humanoid who throttled people. That and his was vastly more frightening... but another remake? No doubt it would even exceed the 80s effects (good CGI works despite the fashionability of condemning it), but the point is, they don't need to as they really are good enough.

ThryllSeekyr

The type of horror effects used in the film so long ago now. In remake I could very imagine them using what had been done in 'The Faculty'.

Both movies had some severed head sprouting tentacles or legs.

There was other stuff as well.

Such a sahme though. I agree that the first movie doesn't need evr redoing. Perhaps, a origin story. Even then that may be abad idea.

Best to leave these horror science fiction classics alone.