Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

radiator

My initial reaction in that at the very least, this thing will be huge in Japan, and its the first new console I've personally been interested in for years

I don't have a PS4 or an XB1 as I basically never have the time for traditional 'sit down' videogames, but something I can play on the move? Add in a comprehensive Virtual Console (with support for GBA, SNES, N64 and Gamecube) and I'm officially sold.

I like the social aspect they're pushing, but do people still play videogames socially? I haven't seen anything like that since the Wii days.

Pyroxian

Quote from: radiator on 20 October, 2016, 04:55:14 PMI like the social aspect they're pushing, but do people still play videogames socially? I haven't seen anything like that since the Wii days.

Yes, when they can find a game that lets them... We still play Mario Kart a bit, but games that support couch gaming are now few and far between, which is why I'm just not interested in any of the current generation of consoles. The Switch is intriguing me though...

radiator

The concept of having dual controllers is a really cool touch. Being able to play 2 player Mario Kart on a plane flight? That's pretty neat.

Honestly, this is the console the Wii U should have been.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I wants it. I regret getting rid of my Wii U. I did so for a PS4, but that was in retrospect a mistake. Especially now my kids want to play Mario Kart.

I'll probably pick one of these up at launch. I'll definitely pick one up if (a) it allows dual joypad control on a big screen and (b) is backwards compatible with Wii U titles.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

I think it's safe to say that it won't be backwards compatible with Wii U - there's no disc drive for a start...

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: radiator on 20 October, 2016, 05:37:04 PM
I think it's safe to say that it won't be backwards compatible with Wii U - there's no disc drive for a start...

Was thinking of being able to download the titles from the word go.

By "titles", I mean Donkey Kong Country (or whatever it was called) and Mario Kart
Lock up your spoons!

Apestrife

Wasn't fully sure at first, but when they showed people sitting around a screen with the controllers I "got it".

I'm thinking it'll be huge everywhere. It's both stationary, a handheld as well as a mobile stationary console. It's such a weird concept, but it's brilliant. More or less what people -I know- hoped the WiiU would be.

Name really sticks as well. Has that "Valve" quality to it. Doesn't hurt either that the logo resembles a pokemon ball merged with a jin yang sign. They even nailed the sound for the logotype.

radiator

Yup. It all seems very promising. Old-fashioned Nintendo innovation to come out with something fresh that seems like an no-brainer in retrospect, and also cool to see them resolutely doing their own thing, putting gameplay before graphics. Especially all at a time when home consoles are starting to lose their 'plug and play'
appeal as they continue to get bogged down with lengthy installs, day one patches and whatnot.

Here's hoping they don't hobble the thing with trademark Nintendo backwards thinking when it comes to region locking, online connectivity, linked accounts etc.

JamesC

Well it's pretty much what we expected but I'm more than happy with that.
Hopefully we'll get a decent software library. I have a feeling that, because of the portability, it'll be a natural home for more 'arcadey' pick up and play titles, as well as the grander first party stuff (and possibly some AAA third party stuff but I think that's more doubtful).
I'm pleased to see a return to a more traditional control method. The Wii, Wii U and DS were all genuinely brave attempts to do something new (with varying degrees of success) but you can't really beat a stick and a few buttons (I'll be interested to see if Nintendo's smart phone games get ported over with physical controls rather than touch screen)!

Apestrife

One thing I really like is how while other's make games gear towards online, Nintendo is instead opting for a similar route as Pokemon GO. Enabling people to meet up.

Wouldn't surprise me if there'll be Switch-picknicks of sorts in parks here and there. Especially Japan. People showing up, blankets out, then enjoying basically a LAN-party of Switch-screens.

One thing I think they should'v gotten right from the get go with the WiiU is how much it feels like a jukebox console. A console I can play for example almost every Zelda created, likewise Metroid and Mario games. The game-touch-pad wasn't put to much use beyond the gyro controls for me, but the gaming library certainly has.

By the way. From software supporting Switch. Hope that means Demon/Dark souls. And with Grasshopper studios, REALLY hoping for more No More Heroes, or why not a Killer 7 remake :)

dweezil2

It appears to have better third party support than the Wii U which is nice!

Give me some classic Sega titles and a new good Resident Evil game from Capcom and sold!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

I, Cosh

Quote from: Apestrife on 20 October, 2016, 07:55:04 PM
Name really sticks as well. Has that "Valve" quality to it. Doesn't hurt either that the logo resembles a pokemon ball merged with a jin yang sign. They even nailed the sound for the logotype.
So I'm the only person slightly bemused that the famously family friendly Nintendo have given their new console a BDSM theme?
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Yes Cosh, just you. I wonder if it will play DVDA?

Looks great. I'm in.

I wonder if that bit between the two controller halves has some mousepad type control on it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Apestrife

Quote from: I, Cosh on 21 October, 2016, 08:36:03 AM
So I'm the only person slightly bemused that the famously family friendly Nintendo have given their new console a BDSM theme?

They been on it since Wii. Wee wee. Wee wee you.