Main Menu

prog 1402

Started by Bico, 09 August, 2004, 01:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Andy

I think the line is horrible and cheesey myself Still be interesting if Dredd joins in and plays.

NO-ONE will beat that poker face.

philt

Just got this

Judge Dredd - pretty standard sort of Dredd story that I'll have completely forgotten reading in a couple of months

Caballistics - best thing in the Comic by a country mile

Bec And Krawl - what is the policy about swearing on this board? Well this is utter utter s**t. And relevant too with Maggie going to privatise hell (ho ho ho)

ABC Warriors - don't care. nice art though - get Flint on Dredd.

Strontium Dog - Is this treading water or covering old ground - nice art again but a story that is...well about nothing.

So Caballistics is the best this issue - the rest?  Well if I was TMO neither Bec And Krawl nor ABC Warriors would ever "grace" 2000ad with their presence again - Bec And Krawl is infested with thrill suckers - not as bad as Chronos Carnival but not as good as Zippy Couriers. The ABC Warriors are just completely worn thin caught up in a contunity that is "confused" to say the least...

House of Usher

I am really pleased to be reading 2000ad at the moment. I like everything in it. Even Bec & Kawl. I was a bit surprised to see Thatcher turning up (after all, she's in Hell but she's not even dead yet, and it's hardly topical), but then I thought "what the heck - she's a bastard and I hate her". It was off the wall enough to liven up a strip I don't have much fondness for as a rule, so good luck to it.

As far Caballistics Inc., I think the reason it bears comparison to Hellboy (and for that matter, Scooby Doo) more than League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, is that Hellboy works for a US government occult investigation agency (the BPRD).

One thing that makes League of Extraordinary Gentlemen really clever, and which is hardly ever commented on, is that Alan Moore doesn't appear to have ever given any indication that novels and works of fiction exist in the League's world.

It appears to rest on two premises: 1) that in the world of LoXG, every single work of fiction is more or less true simultaneously, and 2) the authors of those works of fiction, and the works themselves, do not exist in this world along with their characters and situations.
STRIKE !!!

Art

The Scoobie Gang is a branch of the Us Goverment?

House of Usher

Um... no. But they like to dabble in occult investigation. Well, okay - mysteries.

Whereas the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen are a government agency dealing with military and quasi-military threats to the British Empire, and are not particularly interested in occult phenomena, hauntings etc. (except when they are leads that are helpful for recruitment).

So, by way of comparison, I'd say that Hellboy (BPRD) and Caballistics Inc. have most in common, both being elite teams of hired hands concerned with supernatural meances. In contast to the Scooby Doo gang, which deals with supernatural menaces (okay, mysteries); and LoXG which are an elite team of hired hands.

Very laboured, but I got there in the end.
STRIKE !!!

Art

I was hoping for grainy black and white footage of freakish and inhumane vivisection experiments in US Goveremnt facilities, leading to the creation of lumpy CGI talking dogs...

House of Usher

CGI talking dogs??? Have you gone mad?!!

Mind you, I was quite fond of Mark Millar's Spooky Doo gang - they were corporate sellouts: elite hired hands in the pay of the East Meg 2 government, and not just teenagers with a nose for a mystery (and there was something a bit CGI about that pooch with the dollar sign wallpaper for a shiny coat).
STRIKE !!!

Keef Monkey

What I'm about to say may be tantamount to blasphemy but I was never too bothered about Strontium Dog in the past.Thought it was good obviously but nothing special,it wasn't actually until the audio progs that I got quite into it, mainly I think because I skimmed over it before and never noticed it was actually really funny so enjoying it now. Caballistics is great,one panel I think the art's amazing and the next I think it's awful though, can't quite make my mind up. ABC warriors is fun but there's not really anything memorable going on and I find Bec And Kawl really entertaining. Some of it is mince indeed but when it's good it makes me laugh more than anything else in the comic.

Link: PAIGE