Main Menu

Vote. Halo Jones 4. Yes or No?

Started by JTurner, 27 March, 2002, 06:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenny-Mek

Halo Jones is about a thousand times better than Judge Dredd, if you can compare the two at all:
1) I think her adventures were more interesting. What does Dredd do exept a)catch criminals, b)hit people, or c)get amusingly annoyed by the citizens? Wheras, the whole point of Halo Jones was that she was always trying to find something different.
2) Halo Jones herself was beautifuly constructed. This was probably because only one person worked on her, and not for very stretched-out periods of time. If she was started again now, you're get those awfull, random personality-flips that Dredd sometimes gets.
3) I love the original art, and the way you can tell exactly what she's thinking from her expressions. Maybe that went out of fashion, but you don't realy get it any more, and that would be heartbreaking.
4) Halo is a better person than Dredd! She's braver, cleverer, deeper, and much more human(can you tell she's the character I love most out of any comic I've ever read?).
However, I wouldn't like to see her ballad continued. She's got a faster-than-light ship and lots of money, things get too easy to hold the same level of action and emotion as her previous adventures. She's OUT; that was the point of the exercise, seeing how she got there and all the other routes she could have taken.
Gods, that was cerebral!
Jenny-Mek

Jenny-Mek

Hmm, look at that. I am practicaly a clone of Halo. Is her hair white or blonde?
*grins*
Jenny-Mek.

O Lucky Stevie!

>Halo was more melodrama soap opera than classic 2k sci-fi stuff.

no, the ballad of halo jones is without a doubt the single greatest science fiction comic i have ever read.

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Rex Gambill

Hear, hear!

Heartily agree, except that I'm confident that if he were to continue her story, Alan Moore would quickly relieve her of her riches and ship in a grand example of "easy come, easy go" and start a new wrinkle in her life.

One of the things I liked most about Halo was that she was a fairly inscrutable character. Moore didn't dump on us a lengthy exposition of who she is and what she stands for...instead we are invited along for the ride as she comes to know herself. Even at the end, we are left knowing we have only scratched the surface of this very real character, and for that reason, wanting more.

I had always heard Moore was planning several more books in her story. There are suggestions throughout the three books that she becomes a more important person in the history of the universe than she seems at the end of book 3. Remember in Book 2, I think, when the "future archaeologists" are giving a presentation on what little they know of the early life of Halo Jones? She is characterized, IIRC, as something of a legend. This is the stuff great epic stories are made of, and I wish more than anything that Moore and Gibson might pick up the tale.

bobsmith2002

leebrown1990

Personally I'd kill to see more Halo Jones.

I was always under the impression that Moore would like to revisit the character, that even he still thinks their seperation was premature. I think most of his other work, he must feel burdened by their sucsess. Halo Jones is a lot less well known than some of his other works. There would still be out crys from fans that he may ruin a classic (evident in this thread!) But I don't think that would be a concern for him, it's more about whether he still has a passion for the piece of work. I mean, even if he knew could do a follow up that would top the orginal Watchmen, he must be sick to death of hearing about Watchmen by now! Halo, not so much.

Genius is such a burden, I feel so sorry for him at times  ::)

But I just feel when reading Halo Jones his love for the character, breaking boundaries was obviously a big part of the conception of the story and the character, it always is with his work. But it doesnt feel so in the same way as the characters in Watchmen. I don't really no how to explain it, but the characters in Watchmen being based on already existant characters, were required to fill and redefine a certain trope (right word?)of the super hero genre. With Halo she just seems to have grown so naturally beyond the reason for her creation. She is everything she was meant to be and so much more. I just love the character.

As for Dredd Vs. Halo Jones. I think Dredd's character and universe is more iconic, I'm not sure how the best stories of each compare and obviously the differences in the running time of each make it impossible to compare everything. For me both are among my favourite characters in comics, and the imagary I associate with them too. I couldn't say which is the better character, because I don't know how anyone could possibly judge that, their just too different.

LeeBee

"After 2,000 years of keeping them breeding inside the one bloodline, we're lucky the bastard doesn't have antennae."

JOE SOAP

Quote from: leebrown1990 on 30 August, 2010, 05:16:45 PM

Greetings, Alan Moore here I need a favour, would you do me a kindness?

leebrown1990

I'll need a one page synopsis for book 4 upfront, Signed.
"After 2,000 years of keeping them breeding inside the one bloodline, we're lucky the bastard doesn't have antennae."

TordelBack

See, Ian?  You get one free murder!

SmallBlueThing

Yep, more Halo. Written by michael fleisher and painted by sam keith. Just to reassert control over the character.

What?

SBT

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Garageman on 30 August, 2010, 05:18:58 PM
Quote from: leebrown1990 on 30 August, 2010, 05:16:45 PM

I was going to say i am Alan Moore but i wouldnt want to overwork @leebrown but at 5 pages of script per head Halo Jones V had the potential to be a very very very long running strip.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

JOE SOAP

Quote from: leebrown1990 on 30 August, 2010, 05:44:26 PM

I'll need a one page synopsis for book 4 upfront, Signed.

DONE!

Jared Katooie

bobsmith2002

I assume that Alan M and IJ will never get the rights for Halo as 2000ad publishers will then get no more money from the Halo Jones character?

Such a waste.....

She can't be generating that much in sales now.

JOE SOAP

Well if they start giving away property rights to characters, you'd have to do the same for everybody, meaning Wagner & Ezquerra get Dredd/Strontium Dog, Mills & O'Neill get Nemesis/ABC Warriors etc...It ain't gonna happen.