Main Menu

ABC Warriors timeline in light of comments in Fallout

Started by Grumpy Andrew, 15 January, 2018, 06:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy Andrew

At the risk of retreating into a corner and gibbering, I'd like to raise a question about the ABC Warriors' personal timeline.

I was under the impression that around the time of The Black Hole the warriors had travelled back in time to the Terran Empire, prior to the name change to Termight, Torquemada etc. And so it remained throughout the Khronicles of Khaos and Hellbringer.

In Return To Mars we find out that – upon receiving Tubal Caine's signal – the warriors set their space/time co-ordinates to some time just after the Medusa consciousness awakens. This is a number of centuries after their first mission to tame Mars.

To my mind their return to Mars took them even further back into the "past", prior to the Terran Empire, Emperor Zallin and all that. That may just be my fanciful thinking, however.

Now, though, in two episodes of Fallout we're told that the Martian city Mekana has been voted the ugliest city in the galaxy. More specifically it's been said twice that it beat Mausoleum and Necropolis on Termight.

Is this a case of a poll taken in the far future that is being recalled in "the past" because their second Mars mission is the first time they've actually visited Mekana. Or are we to take it that elsewhere in the solar system Termite has already risen, which brings with it all the associated questions of Medusa's "alien" creations and the questionable purity of the Humpies.

As a rule I do love how non-linear the ABC Warriors is. Not only the bouncing around time, but the reminiscing (which has been a feature since Hammerstein's War Memories). I like to think that these robots are so old now that they need to regularly "de-frag" their memories with these stories from the past in order to shore up their personal reality and sense of self.

The double mention of Termight in the present tense has go0t me scratching my head.

And heck, in for a penny: while I'm here when in Deadlock's personal timeline do we all think he went to Termight and helped that biker gang after Nemesis ended? Between Khronicles of Khaos and Hellbringer?

I'll be in the corner gibbering now...

TordelBack

Do what I do, every time I dare to think about ABC Warriors (dis)continuity: blame Thoth. A Warlock did it.

And welcome, Andrew!  Plenty of grumps here to keep you company.

Dark Jimbo

Your confusion is all based on the assumption that, if Terra has 'become' Termight, then Torquemada's anti-science, anti-alien coup must also have already come to pass. But if Termight's currently under an earlier, more enlightened rule then there's no conflict re: Mars and its martians. There was a Soviet Russia before Stalin, after all.
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

I've got to be honest; I think it's all a bit of a mess these days.  I think the original return to Mars was an attempt to return to the classic days of the Warriors (as was Pat's wont in those days - Slaine was seeing dead adversaries pop up again all over the shop), but there wasn't really a proper explanation as to how this happened or how the timeline had progressed.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

I try not to think about it and just enjoy the pretty robots

IndigoPrime

In a sense, I'd prefer it if I could do that, but so much about Pat's writing in ABC Warriors is about fixing/talking about continuity/history. It kind of needs to be a Doctor Who – there's so much messing about with time that you simply can't tie it all together. In the event, that's not what really happens.

TordelBack

IP puts his finger on it there.  I've got pretty good at just going with the flow as far as Uncle Pat's continuities are concerned, but when ABC Warriors is almost entirely about the convoluted histories of its protagonists and setting, it's rather hard to look the other way. And thus whenever my mind wanders towards incredulity, I lay everything at the dinky cloven hooves of Thoth.   

Link Prime

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 January, 2018, 11:24:08 AM
I think the original return to Mars was an attempt to return to the classic days of the Warriors

I recall really enjoying the initial return to Mars arcs, but a new setting would be more than welcome.
The follow-up Mars setting has been in place since Prog 2000 (December 1999)!

I feel that the current story-line is pushing forward somewhat, and anticipate a new direction (and likely new team line-up) by the time it wraps up.

Southstreeter

On a related subject, what happened to that army of bad robots, including Blackblood, Mek Quake and Volkhan? About 10 years ago they were on their way to confront our heroes, but then we had all the flashbacks. Flashbacks are over now though aren't they, but we seem to have forgotten about the other lot.

Link Prime

Quote from: Southstreeter on 17 January, 2018, 08:19:05 PM
On a related subject, what happened to that army of bad robots, including Blackblood, Mek Quake and Volkhan? About 10 years ago they were on their way to confront our heroes, but then we had all the flashbacks. Flashbacks are over now though aren't they, but we seem to have forgotten about the other lot.

That confrontation took place in 'The Volgan War' Book IV didn't it?

Southstreeter

Did it? What happened to them? I honestly can't recall. I just remember them all getting ready to rumble, and then I thought the next series was Return to... [somewhere] and the Tubal Caine reunion.

Dark Jimbo

There was a rumble, the Warriors were on the brink of defeat and then Steelhorn rocked up with his Implosion Hammer and sent them away on their toes, abandoning Mek-Quake to his fate. They turned up again briefly at the end of 'Return to Mars', vowing to settle the score one day.
@jamesfeistdraws

Southstreeter

Jeez, I'm too old for comics. I have no recollection of any of that!

IndigoPrime

Don't worry – it'll probably be ret-conned in a year or two anyway, after another book that inexplicably gets away with 'getting the gang back together' yet again.

Link Prime

Quote from: Southstreeter on 18 January, 2018, 08:02:22 PM
Jeez, I'm too old for comics. I have no recollection of any of that!

Ha, it's something I find happens quite regularly too- I can recall events from most comics I read as a kid or teen in intricate detail, yet a story from say two years ago (especially one that didn't really grab me)- fergettaboutit.