Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Smith on 20 September, 2018, 02:30:36 PM
GTA 4.For a while I thought I was bad at this,but I see everyone had a problem with PC controls.And PC version in general.

Do you use a control pad? Only way to play some games I think. GTAIV particularly.

NOW WITH THE RIGHT QUOTE OK SORRY :P

Keef Monkey

Realized I'd never got round to the Resident Evil 7 DLC and I loved that game, so battered through the couple of story expansions. Not A Hero was okay, a little less horror-based and more shooty than the main game but it still got a couple of good yelps out of me.

End of Zoe though I thought was absolutely dreadful. It has a couple of welcome story beats that wrap up things from the main campaign quite nicely, but the whole thing revolves around first person melee brawling (!) which would be fine if it had decent first person melee mechanics but it really, really doesn't. It's not that I have a beef with that kind of gameplay, one of my all-time favourite games is Condemned so horror melee FPS is absolutely my cup of tea when done right, but they've made a bit of a botch of it here. Swore a great deal during a couple of the tougher fights and it left me pretty grumpy.

It sort of does the worst thing DLC can do, in that it made me worry that Capcom aren't sure what was actually great about RE7.

GrudgeJohnDeed

I've not played the RE7 DLC yet either. It sounds pretty uneven then like a lot of DLC :(, but I am still looking forward to the extra story stuff.

Speaking of Condemned, I played that for the first time recently on XB1 and it is indeed great! Unsuprisingly I guess (with it being developed by Monolith), it felt a lot like a melee cousin to F.E.A.R. which is one my favourite games. They both have tons of atmosphere, I just love that Monolith brand of  meshing paranormality, technology and realism. 

Keef Monkey

Yeah I've always loved Monolith's style, and they've got a knack for mashing together elements that are very relevant to my interests! FEAR was basically J-Horror + John Woo bullet time + mech suit battles, and that ticked a lot of my boxes in one go. Condemned is still super tense and scary even now. Sitting in the dark playing that farmhouse level, following all the clue trails with the UV light, still one of the creepiest gaming experiences out there. 

Keef Monkey

Finished Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc on the Vita last night. It was really fun at times, especially during the class trials, but the amount of tapping through endless dialogue got a bit tiresome. It would be fine if all the dialogue was engaging or was revealing new info but it would literally just repeat the same info endlessly, with about 7 characters hammering home the same thing over and over again. It struck me as something that's a trait of some anime - I love it but do find quite often you've got the gist of something and then have to listen to another load of discussion and internal monologue that's just battering you over the head with the original point.

That got old towards the end unfortunately. Not sure I'd want to embark on the second one because of that, but I didn't hate it or anything, and the story was really cool in places. Bit torn, loved parts of it, other parts not so much, but really glad I finally played through it. It made for a decent enough diversion on the daily commute and the art style was really nice. So I guess I did have a good time with it really, but definitely feel like I've had my fill of that style for now.

Smith

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 28 September, 2018, 01:03:32 PM
Quote from: Smith on 20 September, 2018, 02:30:36 PM
GTA 4.For a while I thought I was bad at this,but I see everyone had a problem with PC controls.And PC version in general.
Yeah,figured Im going to need one.

Do you use a control pad? Only way to play some games I think. GTAIV particularly.

NOW WITH THE RIGHT QUOTE OK SORRY :P

Greg M.

Currently playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 on PS4, which is almost identical to Valkyria Chronicles on PS3. (2 and 3 were on the PSP.) Plays the same - tactical RPG set in a kind of parallel universe variation on WWII. Looks the same - stylish, colourful anime troopers, big tanks, and incongruously beautiful battlefields. Thankfully, more of the same is, in this case, a good thing - the original was a much-overlooked game.

Woolly

So i finally gave in and tried an Assassin's Creed game - Odyssey.

About 8 hours in and it's blimming great. Plays very much like The Witcher 3, and the world map is huge.

Can see myself sinking alot of time into this one.

SIP

Quote from: Woolly on 16 October, 2018, 06:54:49 PM

About 8 hours in and it's blimming great. Plays very much like The Witcher 3, and the world map is huge.

Save yourself Woolly while you still can. This is the first game in a long while that I've become totally addicted to......sleep deprivation is really kicking in now.

Woolly

Quote from: SIP on 17 October, 2018, 11:15:27 AM

Save yourself Woolly while you still can. This is the first game in a long while that I've become totally addicted to......sleep deprivation is really kicking in now.

Nope, it's already too late.
I'm utterly gripped - are any of the other AC games this good? Might give them a try also off the back of this one...

SIP

Quote from: Woolly on 17 October, 2018, 05:48:44 PM

I'm utterly gripped - are any of the other AC games this good? Might give them a try also off the back of this one...

I only ever played the original which I wasn't a fan of......then this one, which has blown me away. I've heard a lot of positives about the previous game, "Origins", too.

Last night I received the "legendary" helmet of Ares (no innuendo intended)......it's worrying how much joy that brought to a middle aged man.

My eyes hurt now.....but I'm still carrying on. I had finally started drawing again, but that's been put on the back burner again, this is more fun.

broodblik

Quote from: SIP on 17 October, 2018, 06:42:38 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 17 October, 2018, 05:48:44 PM

Also playing it. I really enjoy it but I don't have the time to really play it for long periods :'(

I only ever played the original which I wasn't a fan of......then this one, which has blown me away. I've heard a lot of positives about the previous game, "Origins", too.

Last night I received the "legendary" helmet of Ares (no innuendo intended)......it's worrying how much joy that brought to a middle aged man.

My eyes hurt now.....but I'm still carrying on. I had finally started drawing again, but that's been put on the back burner again, this is more fun.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Keef Monkey

I've got a bit of a love/hate relationship with Assassin's Creed games (I tend to like a lot of aspects of them and really dislike others), but the one that I genuinely loved was Black Flag. I haven't played the last couple so don't know how they compare, but if you want more AC Woolly then I can heartily recommend it!

It's a great pirate simulator, with some ace naval combat (which they never used in any of the sequels, although I believe Odyssey has some?), give it a go!

SIP

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 18 October, 2018, 09:57:25 AM
I've got a bit of a love/hate relationship with Assassin's Creed games (I tend to like a lot of aspects of them and really dislike others), but the one that I genuinely loved was Black Flag. I haven't played the last couple so don't know how they compare, but if you want more AC Woolly then I can heartily recommend it!

It's a great pirate simulator, with some ace naval combat (which they never used in any of the sequels, although I believe Odyssey has some?), give it a go!

Yeah, the naval combat is fully incorporated into Odyssey as well. And for the first time they've introduced RPG elements with conversation choices and you can choose male/female character.

I, Cosh

Really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2 but somehow never played any of the others.

Got Dead Cells on the Switch recently. It's fun but the difficulty really ramps up once you get past the first boss and I'm not sure I have the patience to play it enough to complete.
We never really die.