Main Menu

Basic Argumentation, And The Causing Of Offence

Started by Jim_Campbell, 04 June, 2019, 11:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

The History of the Stocking is better. Trust me on this.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

:D

I line 'em up, you knock 'em down! Good work folks!  :lol:

Stockings eh..?

Hawkmumbler

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Theblazeuk

QuoteOr are you saying that Wagner should literally work until he dies so that you can read Dredd strips penned by him? That seems a mite... I dunno... selfish?

They didn't say they demanded Wagner work forever at their pleasure. They didn't explicitly say that they were just sad they wouldn't get to read more stories by him either , you're very technically right, but your post is "Why"... and then your own supposition, which is a pretty insulting one.

Your supposition was weird. The closest you came to apologising - to admitting your error or that it was a weird assumption to make from a single sentence about being troubled by the potential end to Wagner-scripted Judge Dredd Stories was:

QuoteWith respect, that's not what you said. I asked why you thought the news was troubling because those were the words you used. You can tell those were the words you used because you typed them and I quoted them in the post you replied to. If that's not what you meant then that's something completely different but I'm not psychic......
I'm sorry if you thought my tone was aggressive, but I don't see it. I asked you a question, based on the words you used to express a position. If those words didn't express that position, all you had to do was explain what you did mean and clarify a misunderstanding.

No one said you were psychic. You didn't just ask a question you did so and then provided your own answer using a supposition that was pretty insulting. I could invent some examples of how the original text was an accusation even if phrased as a question but honestly, do I really have to...? Everything up until that last sentence I quoted above was a usual, top notch response that provided a great perspective and useful information on making peace with the end of a Good Thing.

When DJ pointed out it was a little uncalled for:

QuoteA little, perhaps. I must be the first person on this forum to ever take someone's words to their logical if improbable conclusion in order to make a rhetorical point. I'm amazed it's never happened before.

Yeah it has happened before, no one said you were the only person to ever do it or history's greatest monster. No one came after you. The most that happened was a person pointed out an unpleasant thing that you suggested about them and asked you to tone it down a tad.

You're often right, but not always. I'm 100% confident you don't need me or anyone else to tell you that, but there's this thread right here, explicitly for discussing something I would just pass over. Again, This entire thing is because you accused someone of demanding John Wagner works until he dies and insisted on arguing the point when they said that was needlessly aggressive. I don't know you outside of this board but I really don't think you'd appreciate people using these rhetorical strategies with you or taking a stance like "Please cut out and keep this handy guide to refer to the next time you leap to outrage".

I think you can often make brilliantly rational and detailed posts. I think of myself as a mere cadet in the Justice Academy that is this board, and you as one of the Council made up of other luminaries past and present. I'd rather leave the board entirely than deprive it of you or your enjoyment of it. You don't affect my enjoyment of it in the slightest and you add to it in huge ways, and I'm sure that's true of everyone else.

I don't say all of *that* other than to try and make it clear, a 2000AD message board without Jim Campbell being Jim Campbell would be a darker future than anyone would want - and I dearly don't want to present what I'm saying as "The other side to an argument".

TLDR?  You said it yourself. Tone and implied meaning are hard to judge online. This is a case where you got something wrong and then seem to be baffled why other people then got you wrong, deepening the problem. Mileage may vary but it's easy just to say "Sorry, my mistake."

Theblazeuk

Oh and fecking hell that's what I get for not reading all 8 pages of this, stick a bloody nail in it.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Frank

dweezil2

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 05 June, 2019, 10:18:58 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 05 June, 2019, 08:34:37 PM
Sweet feckin Jesus, would ye ever just turn off your computers and go outside?

"I only said I dun gone outside so they wouldn't give me another jalfrezi enema!"

I really miss Monkey Dust the world could really do with the program right now!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dweezil2

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 06 June, 2019, 01:14:42 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 June, 2019, 07:08:01 PM

When I found out about debating societies I felt hugely let down that they didn't have one at my school. A grasp of, and practice in, proper debating might have proved hugely useful in my life, especially the most recent decade or two of it. (As a man with a great many axes to grind, I have only recently begun to explore the correct operation of the grinder.)

I do enjoy a good argument (not a slanging match - those are just tiresome), the way it stimulates and challenges the little grey cell can be quite exilerating. I sometimes hear a comedy program on Radio 4, I forget what it's called, where humorous debates are held under the title, "this house believes that..." The subject can be anything and they have an impartial chair and votes at the end and everything. I'd love to be able to participate in something like that.

Maybe we should have a go? Pick a subject, serious or silly, two debators and a chair. Start with opening statements, then cross questioning, then chair and audience questions, closing statements and a vote or/and general comments. No rancour, no name-calling, no expectations - just good natured and civilised debate.

I commend this notion to the House!

I'd like to start this thread, which the admins may wish to move, with the proposal: Stone Sour are better than Slipknot.

I've heard Slipknot so anything is better!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Frank on 12 June, 2019, 10:00:30 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 June, 2019, 09:35:05 AM

Netherlands Discovers 'Achilles Heel' of Euthanasia.

I've seen a lot of passive aggressive behaviour on the internet, but posting that here represents a new low.

I thought we might have a discussion about an interesting topic. That's all.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]