Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Quote from: radiator on 09 April, 2020, 06:50:22 PM
Haven't played it yet - waiting for the eventual Switch port - but tbh this is what I've been fearing from everything I've seen and heard about Eternal since it came out. It looks very bloated with all the added mechanics and lore/story stuff that seems so at odds with the first game - where the story never distracted from the gameplay and the game as a whole had this nice meta-commentary on how the player character didn't care about the story and just wanted to break stuff (which I thought was delightful as someone who thinks videogames are a terrible medium for traditional linear storytelling and generally couldn't care less about videogame narrative).

I'm holding out for the Switch version as well. Got close to buying it on PS4, but if I'm to play it on console I want gyro (which the Switch ver will have).

While waiting I'm playing DOOM64. Really like it this far. Halfway through. Has a bit of a horror flare to it. Not like DOOM3, but more like QUAKE, but "scarier". Alot of it is thanks to the music which is really moody. For those who haven't, you should give it a go :)

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 09 April, 2020, 10:05:29 AM
Finished a couple of games yesterday, first being the Resident Evil 3 remake. People don't seem to hold this in as high regard as some of the series, I know RE1 and RE2 are pretty iconic for most (and me too) but RE3 has always had a real strong place in my heart probably because of when and where I played it and the memories it brings back! Lots of student flat nostalgia of playing through with my flatmate while she yelled STAAAAARS whenever the Nemesis appeared. Great times. This is another brilliant remake job, looks gorgeous, feels great to play and while it's shorter and more linear than most RE games I was totally fine with that as banging your head against obtuse puzzles and getting horribly lost and backtracking constantly are the elements of Resident Evil that I tend to gloss over when I think of my fondness for it. Loved this.

Good to hear it went down so well! I loved the original RE3 too (I think I may have given my thoughts in this very thread!), it seems like that's one of the bigger indicators of how much you'll like this version. I've had to hold off for now, because money!

Professor Bear

If you have a Playstation 3 or 4, Sony/PSN have made Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (for PS4) and Journey (for PS3 and PS4) available to download for free as part of the Play At Home campaign taking place during lockdown.  The games are available until May 5th, but remain redeemed to your PSN account/profile after that, so they're worth getting now even if you don't plan on playing them anytime in the near future.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Ooh thanks Prof! Nabbed them both.

repoman

Risk of Rain 2 - I loved the original but couldn't get on with the sequel on the Switch.  Mainly because of those awful joycon controls.  Anyway, just given it a go on PS4 and if you play with someone who knows what they are doing this gets really good.  Great music too.

And reviewing more shoot 'em ups.  There's a real glut of them at the moment on PSN.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 April, 2020, 07:22:23 PM
If you have a Playstation 3 or 4, Sony/PSN have made Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (for PS4) and Journey (for PS3 and PS4) available to download for free as part of the Play At Home campaign taking place during lockdown.  The games are available until May 5th, but remain redeemed to your PSN account/profile after that, so they're worth getting now even if you don't plan on playing them anytime in the near future.

Nice! Have still somehow never played Journey so have grabbed that, thanks!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I have in the last few days come to the conclusion that I am done with Fifa 19.

My Ultimate Team is as good as it will ever get (it's got Pele and Matthaus in it, plus tonnes of top rated players).

I have no excuse now for how crap I am at it!
Lock up your spoons!

repoman

PS4 owners, the not very good Pac-Man Championship Edition Deluxe 2 is now free.  Which is a good price for it.

I just didn't like it anywhere near as much as the first two modern editions.

repoman

That's cancelled now.  Must have been a PSN error.

Keef Monkey

Loved Ori And The Blind Forest, but really struggled to enjoy a lot of Ori And The Will of The Wisps, it was just too damn hard! Way more combat focused this time round which didn't sit well with me, my main gripe about the first game was that it would have been perfect without all the pesky enemies. Always saw the combat in that game as a nuisance in the way of the enjoyable stuff (the platforming) so having this double-down on those aspects was disappointing personally.

It look absolutely astonishingly gorgeous though, and when the platforming is good it's really, really fantastic, so it's hard for me to decide how I feel about it! Thank goodness I'm not a game reviewer, I'd really struggle to slap a review score on something I swung between loving and hating so frequently!

I, Cosh

Accidentally started playing Bloodborne again the other night. Done the first three bosses and now things are opening up for me to get my arsed repeatedly poisoned to death by those snake-headed pricks. Such an astonishingly atmospheric and rewarding game.

Also about halfway through The Last Guardian which is a real game of two halves. The look of the world and your daft big cat/dog/chicken mate are amazing and the relaxing pace and slightly obtuse puzzles could be fun. Problem is that the controls and the AI of your daft big cat/dog/chicken mate often work against you solving them. On balance I still like it but it's a near miss when it's almost briliant.
We never really die.

Apestrife

Finished DOOM64 this morning. Probably my favorite DOOM together with the 2nd game. More horror than arcady run n gun, but ramps it up towards the end with the enemy count. I pkayed the recent port and cant recommend it enough.

Gameplay (notice how creepy the music is) https://youtu.be/Vx1ZNRtIx8Y

repoman

Quote from: repoman on 22 April, 2020, 04:48:32 PM
That's cancelled now.  Must have been a PSN error.

Christ.  It's free again now.  Have at it, chaps.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just bought Xcom: Chimera. £8.50 on Steam
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

Played through Terminator: Resistance, which feels a lot like a licensed movie game of yesteryear, clunky and janky and clearly a low budget and a small team BUT I've always found that sort of thing quite endearing and if I like a license enough I've always been able to find some enjoyment in them. This was no different, I had a good time!

I mean it's clearly not going to win any game of the year awards but if it had come out in the early days of the 360 I would have played through and quite enjoyed it and similarly if I'd stumbled on an old Terminator game I hadn't played I'd also play through it and forgive the clunkiness, so on those grounds I'll give it a pass, and it even felt quite nostalgic to the days when this stuff was more common!

Results may vary based on your tolerance for licensed trash mind you.