Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

Trivia...maybe...I just noticed the Hall of Justice as shown in the trailer for Dredd 3D is a near dead-ringer for the HOJ in prog #1054's 'FAST FOOD' as illustrated by Kevin Walker...Same angle, I really thought DNA'd gone their own way with the Hall of Justice design in the film, but the shot is just like the panel. Has anyone seen this?
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 25 September, 2012, 05:32:06 PM
Its an interesting fact that had Duncan Jones got to make his version of Dredd as a kind of Man Bites Dog set in Mega City 1, we might have ended up with a futuristic version of End Of Watch which also opened in the States on Friday.

It would've been like 'the Streets of Dan Francisco' with the League of Fatties & Judge Death. It's not an style/idea that would lead to sequels or a franchise. It's too gimmicky.

Danbo

Off topic a bit but I found this pic of a cool motorbike in sorta Lawmaster colours.

Scroll down,last pic.
http://gencept.com/visual-inspiration-day-4
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

chuffsteruk

Well, true to form,days after the Russian release, a cam of Dredd has appeared...and it's appalling.Anyway who watches any film likes this needs there head examined:

chuffsteruk

Ha!No sooner had I posted that pic of the cam,than the website hosting it deleted it!Brilliant! :lol:

CYCLOPZ

Dredd is bound to find its natural audience in the home market. When that happens I would love to a see an HBO style series featuring stories such as The Pit or Sin City or The Chief Judges Man turn up one day. At the very least DVD Releases a couple times a year.

They made the film for real fans, that means people with taste in my book, and I'd like to see more. If the average Mr Joe Y-Fronts on the street don't like it, then I say Fuck-em.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 26 September, 2012, 11:19:32 PM
Dredd is bound to find its natural audience in the home market. When that happens I would love to a see an HBO style series featuring stories such as The Pit or Sin City or The Chief Judges Man turn up one day. At the very least DVD Releases a couple times a year.

Now that's a real lovely thought right there...

Michaelvk

Maybe in a miniseries style? I'd rather see a large budget 3-4 episode series than a mediocre budget 23 episode jobbie..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Steve Green

I always find it slightly mad the extent of VFX shots in shows like these.

https://vimeo.com/19274597

CYCLOPZ

Dredd vs. Trouble With The Curve - Movie Face-Off - Gravel-Voiced One-Liners

http://youtu.be/ZSaxnut1D8M

HdE

Quote from: Michaelvk on 27 September, 2012, 10:19:24 AM
Maybe in a miniseries style? I'd rather see a large budget 3-4 episode series than a mediocre budget 23 episode jobbie..

You mean, a bit like they did with the Dune TV mini-series?

I could go for that! And I can see they'd manage to pull off the feel of MC-1 more faithfully to the comics.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

PreacherCain

Quote from: Michaelvk on 27 September, 2012, 10:19:24 AM

If it was done on the likes of HBO, there'd only be ten to twelve episodes but with much higher production values and not having to restrict itself by gearing its content to advertisers whims. They've proved they can do fantasy with Game of Thrones so Dredd seems like a worthy fit if they ever think about doing something based in science fiction (which is really the only genre HBO has not attempted yet).

Stan

I've never been as excited for TV adaptations as others fans, regardless of what's being adapted. It feels like a booby prize to me. Lower production values, usually fillered to hell, and more of a commitment than I'd like. If a Dredd series came out I'd watch it but I would be hyped about it. Especially since it'll probably get canned when you're just getting into it. At least when a film's done, it's done and you're not left hanging.

PreacherCain

Quote from: Stan on 28 September, 2012, 05:45:26 AM
I've never been as excited for TV adaptations as others fans, regardless of what's being adapted. It feels like a booby prize to me. Lower production values, usually fillered to hell, and more of a commitment than I'd like. If a Dredd series came out I'd watch it but I would be hyped about it. Especially since it'll probably get canned when you're just getting into it. At least when a film's done, it's done and you're not left hanging.

To be fair, there haven't been many films in the last decade that can compete with something like The Wire or Mad Men in terms of ambition and scope. There's no way you'd be able to make a Game of Thrones film with that amount of violence, swearing and sex and not have it watered down to a 12A. Ditto with the likes of Deadwood.

And again, cable television very rarely has filler episodes. Network tv produces over 20 episodes a year but cable has anywhere between six and twelve, traditionally. The higher budgeted stuff like Game of Thrones only gets ten episodes and looks as good as most movies. Take a look at Boardwalk Empire (Scorcese did the first episode) or Mad Men; I'd argue they look better than any films of their type that were released in the last few years. Cable television takes more chances creatively than films nowadays; there's a reason so many distinguished Hollywood actors, writers and directors are migrating there, particularly those who worked in 70s US cinema. Hollywood has all but gutted the US film industry of its creativity and risk-taking.

DKCX

Anyone find reactions from the production crew and studio in regards the box office numbers?
I'm sure everyone is gutted by the numbers and are keeping low key till the worldwide release is done.
Is Karl still on the promotion trail at the moment??