Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Well, I was almost on the verge of being within sight of beginning to think about enjoying that episode. Almost.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

It was slow but 3rd act  :o - great episode!

[spoiler]Of course we knew he is. But nice reveal. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]And the Emperor is...[/spoiler]  :o

Mardroid

Yes, I enjoyed that. I am proud to say I actually guessed the identity of The Emperor correctly.

[spoiler]I was way behind in guessing a certain other persons identity, however. I mean, I had a strong inclination before this week, but I understand many of you guessed way back when the character was introduced. Particularly impressed that both Voq and Tyler are played by the same actor. I'd never recognise him under the prosthetics, etc. Credit to them that they kept the secret by crediting Voq under a fake actor's name. The actor chose his own late fathers name![/spoiler]

The Legendary Shark

Praise Grud! I've been wanting to like STD for so long I've come out in a rash. These latest two episodes have attracted my attention. Not converted just yet but have my fingers crossed.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

blackmocco

Well, that's more like it. Reckon that was the first time the show has felt 100% Trek from start to finish. No bad thing. I'll avoid spoilers. Let's just say everything - EVERYTHING - gets pulled together at last and it's pretty delicious.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

pauljholden

this week. blimey.

I LOVE that they're juist going balls out nutso.

[spoiler]I wonder, if, ultimately, we'll find out that Discovery isn't set in any of the trek universes we've seen already - that it's mirror universe is just one of many mirror universes to the many other trek universes,
would explain klingons and the rest... I'd've said that was a bonkers idea (though I've been playing with it for a while) but now Lorca... [/spoiler]

blackmocco

Last night's also left me a little sad thinking about what we might have had had Fuller been left to truly craft an anthology series. Less complaining, I think, if we'd known this would be - quite literally - a standalone season telling its own story and knowing the next one would be completely different. A real shame and a missed opportunity.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Tiplodocus

Well that explains a few things! I love this long form plotting and the opportunities it affords for audacious rug pulling. Very good stuff and I love that quite a lot of the main characters are now behaving like they are in Star Trek.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

JamesC

Goaty

Another excellent episode. Too many deaths!

Jason Isaacs is the perfect casting to the series.

Two episodes to go.  :o

Tiplodocus

Very exciting stuff. Wasn't entirely happy with some of the technobabble problem solving and massive pieces of propulsion system redesign being completed in minutes but sometimes you just gotta roll with it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Steve Green

I think I needed to pay more attention over the last couple of episodes.

I got the impression at the end of the last episode that [spoiler]Stamets swapped places? But in this episode nothing seems to have been made of it, and the real Stamets has been killed off, but the mirror one didn't seem to have the corruption on his arm...

Maybe the twists are making me glaze over and I'm seeing them where they aren't there[/spoiler]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 30 January, 2018, 11:37:18 AM
Maybe the twists are making me glaze over and I'm seeing them where they aren't there

I think it's this. I thought they might [spoiler]swap the Stamets[/spoiler] but there really wasn't anything to indicate that and plenty to indicate that they hadn't.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

I'll have to rewatch - [spoiler]I could have sworn there was something about him reappearing somewhere else[/spoiler]