Main Menu

prog 2182: So long and geek out

Started by The Monarch, 18 May, 2020, 05:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

Survival geeks get the cover as they should since its their final ever story. I know its not everyones cup of tea but I will miss this strip it was a nice constant fun thing to have around.

The order is back! this pleases me as a fan of kek-w and it did not disappoint i look foward to more of it after the all ages prog.

theres a future shock....i skipped it

Dredd ends happier than i was expecting it to colin will be pleased

Hershey ends book 1 and well certain people in recent threads kinda called it. kinda obvious in hindsight did simon draw the wrong eye covered to throw us off i wonder....

Pyroxian

Colin YNWA

All hail Tharg
All hail Tabs (editor of The Phoenix)

My gosh these two aren't missing a beat at the moment... well okay I have two grips this week but I got over them both as you'll see.

First Dredd is an absolutely spankingly good ending. and a [spoiler]happy[/spoiler] one at that. Such a joy... except... except... did they have to play the Dredd helmet thing so literally, as if its his 'neurosis' as opposed to a narrative device. I mean I don't think it ever been that before. That was well out of step...but BUT it worked wonderfully in the context of this story and was played so well...'Back-up requested' GOLD. So all in all I actually love that they did that, even if it makes not a jot of sense.

Secondly damnit why did they start The Order this week? I'd have copped a Future Shock. Or if they'd not wanted to double up on one off we could have slipped one on earlier and given us a double part ending on say Survival Geeks? To start it just to drop a break in next week for the all ages issue seems daft BUT it actually worked really well and felt like a nice prologue so you know what I actually love that they did that, even if it makes not a jot of sense to have done so.

Oh and The Orders back - WAYHEY!

If last weeks Future Shock was a 'what huh' is that it. This weeks I sat their all smug thinking well I seen this one coming a mile off. The twist then egged it up a notch from the obvious I saw AND then it dropped in a final twist I didn't see coming - smug idiot that I am! Great story well executed and am I the only one who sees Rian Hughes write large in the art there? Surely not and oh I do love Rian Hughes so this is an absolute triumph

Speaking TRIUMPH the ending to Hershey is just that, just superb AND that first page wow, just wow Simon Fraser underlying quite how special his art is by drawing an astonishing contrast between that he's doing and a classic of old. Just brilliant.

Oh and speaking of triumph Bolt01 did - he called it. Well done sir I feel such a dunce for not seeing it myself.

Of and speaking of triumph its 'End of Book 1' now no one ends something 'End of Book1' if they're not doing at least a 'Book 2' so WAYHEY!!!!!

And as if we haven't got enough of this triumph stuff Survival Geeks not only nails the landing Simone Biles its double twisting somersault - wow. How did you make me love you just as you were gone. Nailed it. Well done.

AND the cover of next weeks Prog will at least give some of even the hardest of naysayers something to love SURELY...

mind how are we not talking about that 'Thrills of the Future' I'd seen it on Faciebooks and thought its course a stir - let the stir begin...

...but before you do the stir sit back, reflect on this Prog, produced in the most insane world we have and just marvel at what ol' green bounce is up to.

I truly salute you sir and all who sail with you.

Tomwe

As someone who listens to the Thrillcast I'd heard the Future Shock already. It worked out pretty well and with some great first time art. A great prog all round. Happy for the Hershey moment! And fab knowing jokes in Dredd too. Suddenly wondering if the extra Regened issues are just a way to charge more for four progs throughout the year. They did say they sold well though! Thanks once again to the House Of Tharg for keeping the thrills flowing!

A.Cow

Quote from: The Monarch on 18 May, 2020, 05:52:43 PM
Hershey ends book 1 and well certain people in recent threads kinda called it. kinda obvious in hindsight did simon draw the wrong eye covered to throw us off i wonder....

Nope, a re-read confirms that it's deliberate.  He starts the tale with two eyes.  Then we see that his right eye is artificial; however, he loses the left eye when later attacked, so now has a patch over that instead.

Now I'm also left wondering if Rijkaard isn't just an undercover alias but actually his first name -- i.e. [spoiler]Rijkaard Frank[/spoiler].  Presumably a winking reference to Dutch footballer [spoiler]Frank Rijkaard[/spoiler]?

Bolt-01

I think I'm going to miss the geeks, but I'm also glad they finished the series as they did.

As for Hershey - Smug!

Colin YNWA

Proudhuff

Great cover for a great finale!
Looks like we could be in for some more monkey business from that block, nice mix of characters all ready for some monkey tales.
The order, read it and it felt like reading a single issue of Lion you find in Oxfam on a damp Wednesday afternoon.I
Future shock, not so shocking, but the final panel made me smile.
Hershey, a suitable ending and amazed that Bolt was spot on, well done that man!
Geeks great fun and great art, good to see the return of Thargnotes

Fine progage, all Hail TMO!
DDT did a job on me

DrRocka

I rarely post on the prog review thread, unless it's exceptionally great, or....
Dredd aside, this for me was a shockingly bad prog.
Can someone tell me what's going on in The Order? I've bought the prog for 40 years! What the hell IS this??
Hershey: what was the point? Was it worth reversing her brilliant death scene? Is it worth getting rid of a forty something reader, Tharg? I'm genuinely getting fed up with this nonsense. Where's the innovation? The FUN?
Survival Geeks: I have NO idea which characters are the ones we've followed all this time. What happened? Who won? Why the fu*k should I care?

Up the game, Tharg. This was shit. Disappointing shit. I'm genuinely upset. I LOVE 2000AD, but this is worse than the 90's nadir....
Never ever bloody anything ever

The Monarch

I know everyone deserves their opinion but worse than mark millars robohunter? the reboot rogue trooper post war machine? Fleishers Harlem heroes? PARAsites?

broodblik

I agree everyone has a right to their own option but I would also feel disappointed when I only like 1 out of 5 stories.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

A.Cow

Quote from: DrRocka on 20 May, 2020, 04:34:38 AM
Survival Geeks: I have NO idea which characters are the ones we've followed all this time. What happened? Who won? Why the fu*k should I care?

Agree totally on Survival Geeks and The Order.

Hershey is a mixed bag for me.  Featuring a 'meh' plot, it would have been far better to set this before her (heartbreaking) death; however, it's now clear that this is the first step in a long-term plan, so I'm willing to give it some rope.  IMHO Simon Fraser's artwork has been a masterclass in action sequences, using old annual two-colour styling really well.

However, I understand the general frustration.  Those three stories are all 'style over substance'.  It's a little unfair to compare it to the '90s nadir, which was no style, no substance (and misproportioned muscles).

MumboJimbo

Quote from: DrRocka on 20 May, 2020, 04:34:38 AM
Survival Geeks: I have NO idea which characters are the ones we've followed all this time. What happened?

Apart from the 4 main characters, only 5 others survived the contest. The 3 female characters of the gender swapped group, so easy to spot, and two from the griefer group. The griefer group have a manic look on their face and griefer Clive has a different coloured t-shirt on.

As for The Order I'll try to read some back progs this week and come up with a summary!

broodblik

The Order accordingly Tharg's Never Centre:

Throughout history, mankind has been under threat of extermination by the Wyrms, creatures from another plane that systematically break into our reality. Defending humanity are the men and women of THE ORDER, a secret band of warriors that have fought the entities across the centuries. But the Wyrms have fractured time, and a new chronology has been created, one in which Francis Bacon has access to future tech...

Follow this link as well:

https://britishcomics.fandom.com/wiki/The_Order

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.