Main Menu

Kill Dredd!

Started by beta, 21 May, 2003, 12:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beta

I say cut out the dead wood.  Get rid of Dredd now before the whole thing becomes stupid. The guys pushing 70.Reinvest in a mid-eighties batman stylee, and become a "mature" comic again.  Maybe then the classic artist and writers of the past would be ashamed to associate with the whole thing.

"it stopped being any good the minute they stopped printing it on bogpaper"...Garth Ennis

Oddboy

"it stopped being any good the minute they stopped printing it on bogpaper"...Garth Ennis

... about the same time that Garth Ennis started writing for Dredd then...

I think you'll find that 2000AD has become a 'mature' comic, and that the whole thing hasn't been in shame for a while, certainly not since Rebellion took over.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Leigh S

Well, the last thing we need is to revisit that whole mid-80s "Zap! Kerpow! comic grows up" nonsense - not only did it kill comics stone dead, but 2000AD was miles more mature than it became trying to follow the Deadline/Vertigo trends.

2000ADs doing very nicely now, thankyou, with Dredd about to embark on another potential classic tale.

JayzusB.Christ

True. i just keep telling myself that it takes longer to grow old in the future. ALthough when Joe finally does get too old for the streets, he could be Chief Judge for years while Rico provides the action on the streets. Boring I may be, but sometimes the politics of Mega-city one are just as interesting as the street-fights.

(Incidentally, I'm not John Wagner could do anything to Dredd that hasn't been suggested somewhere on this board.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Queen Firey-Bou

damn this cough of mine. ahem***..

petemaskreplica

;) you cynic. but I did wonder myself...

JayzusB.Christ

Am I missing something here?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Noisybast

Now don't go starting any arguments.

Short tempers Cause Others to Jump On the bandwagon...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Buddy

I have to sort of agree with this. I thought they should have replaced Dredd with Kracken (sp) way back when. Seemed like a good idea to me. Now we have Rico (where has he been recently) maybe something like this is gonna happen after all.

At teh same time I have a niggling in the back of my head that tells me Rico's gonna go bad at some time in the future.  It's all soo complicated...

Bart Oliver

I'd always concidered myself new to the board until I read this thread.

Not wanting to repeat myself- here's something I wrote earlier, cut 'n'paste direct from thread 4525 A World Without Joe..

"..Dredd's universe has grown to exceed the confines of Dredd's beat and the walls of MC1 and our reading experience is richer for it. we have been introduced to the Hell Trekkers, Chopper, the Taxidermist, Anderson, Devlin Waugh, Preacher Cain, Shimura etc. all owe their existence to 'Judge Dredd' but have proved that he does not have to be present within the story to allow them to thrill and entertain.

In the same way that 2000ad kept it's name after the millennium because the title has come to mean much more than just a dateline I could see the Judge Dredd strip function in a similar fashion (pains me to say) without Joe.."

I still stand by what I've said and have faith in the fact that Wagner will resolve this issue once and for all in a satisfactory manner.

Thread topics are like mo-pads, sooner or later they're bound to come around again.

Cheers  B.
Obviously you're not a golfer.

judge dreddd

dredd lives forever !

dredd is a symbol of our inner desire for instant justice which in this crazy world of mixed up law is not achievable... its simplistic,commit the crime, be punished - the judge is watching

kill dredd, i aint heard such rubbish since,well, since ages ago

Queen Firey-Bou

its pants isnt it. pffffff.

Devons Daddy

id be all for the dredd brain transplanted into ricos body.
AFTER HE GOES BAD.you know he will.
my reference for this Tomb of the Judges.

though i dont believe wagner will let us down.something will happen in the next few years. either a simple procedure ordered by the council of five or an all out epic, but its coming.

mark my words.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Proudhuff

Give that man a large wooden spoon! Mature is over rated and a tad boring after a while, when was the Westwall build, thats what you should be thinking about...

SEND IN THE CLONES!! or at least the fembots

Beta is it time for your medicine or mine?

Dr Huffy

DDT did a job on me

Generally Contrary

++I could see the Judge Dredd strip function in a similar fashion (pains me to say) without Joe..++

Like Taggart?