Main Menu

We can be heroes…

Started by Molch-R, 25 April, 2012, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

Dante feature and Dredd keyring highlights of latest Comic Heroes issue

The new issue of Comic Heroes comes on sale this Wednesday, and includes a great feature on everyone's favourite rogue – Nikolai Dante!

Robbie Morrison and Simon Fraser talk to the mag about bringing the tale of the Russian adventurer and ne'er-do-well to a close later this year. There is also an article on women in comics, which features the ultimate 2000 AD anti-heroine Halo Jones. 

And Dredd fans will be able to wear their love on their sleeve (well, keys) with a zarjaz Judge Dredd keyring!

Filled with Thrillpower, Comic Heroes 12 is on sale NOW! You can order copies here http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/film/comic-heroes-magazine-subscription/?ns_campaign=comic_heroes_12&ns_mchannel=extl&ns_source=blogs&ns_linkname=comic_heroes&ns_fee=0 or online through the Apple Newsstand app or Zinio if you're not an iOS user.

Proudhuff

any chance of an image o that keyring?
DDT did a job on me

Molch-R

AFAIK it's a Dredd head by Jock.

Alski

Mine was broken, but as it was well crappy I will live.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Spaceghost

I'll post a pic of the keyring later. Be forewarned- it's absolutely piss poor.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

COMMANDO FORCES

Mardroid

Quote from: Molch-R on 25 April, 2012, 03:59:41 PM
Dante feature and Dredd keyring highlights of latest Comic Heroes issue

The new issue of Comic Heroes comes on sale this Wednesday, and includes a great feature on everyone's favourite rogue – Nikolai Dante!

I wish I'd read this before going to Bromley earlier. I popped into W H Smiths while I was there...

Quote from: Lee Bates on 25 April, 2012, 05:26:51 PM
I'll post a pic of the keyring later. Be forewarned- it's absolutely piss poor.

Ah okay. I feel better now.

SmallBlueThing

To be fair though, the selling point should be the Dante article shouldnt it? Not some piece of plastic tat- what's that like- worth a read?

SBT

COMMANDO FORCES

I'll be reading it all tonight when I'm hard at work so I'll tell you in the future SBT  ;)

Spaceghost

As promised, here's the keyring.

You're right SBT, it probably shouldn't be judged on a crappy keyring but when you're charging £7.99, double what similar sized magazines cost, and justifying that price with free gifts, it's reasonable to expect said gifts to be of a certain standard.

As you can see, in this case, the gift is in the craptacular realm of plastic trinkets sold for a pound on Filey sea front.

Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

COMMANDO FORCES

Mine was made out of metal  ;)

Well, the ring bit was  :lol:

SmallBlueThing

Lee, i totally agree, and was merely trying to take the moral high ground. I saw the mag today and the pic of the keyring on the back. Is it really just a 25p plastic keyfob with a small picture of dredd slid in? I tend to buy CH based only on the reviews of the content posted here- if it features toothy articles or something based around old british comics, i'll generally buy it. Otherwise, no. Despite reading more U.S titles now than at any point in the last ten years, im really not in the least interested in what the writer of swamp thing has to say, what the wonder woman artist's influences were growing up, or what marvel are planning for their xmas party. The gifts, with some exceptions have been preposterous. Who puts posters up at my age? A BPRD patch- yeah, i'll sew it on my denim jacket, shall i, next time i go to a status quo gig? The placemats were fun though, as were the badges- in a 'more tat to squirrel away' sense. They live with my other tooth badges and posters, in a plastic sleeve.

SBT

Proudhuff

Quote from: Lee Bates on 25 April, 2012, 08:47:06 PM
As promised, here's the keyring.

eeek! this doesn't bode well for the film merch'!
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

With Comic Heroes, you're not really paying for the bundled stuff, but for an extremely niche title's survival. Comic Heroes isn't really comparable with many similar-sized magazines, because it simply doesn't have the same scope for attracting readers. However, if you've an iPad, you can save a few quid per issue by grabbing a copy on Newsstand. By default, new ones are £4.99 each, although there was recently a rather spiffy half-price sale, where I grabbed a small (digital) pile of issues. Older issues are also cheaper, such as issue 6 and before, which are £2.99. Issue 7 is currently free.

Link Prime

A truly heroic feat would be for 'Comics Heroes' to survive till the end of 2012.
I know it was set up to be a kinda SFX for comics, but it just...isn't.

Then again, if you're a fan of the following:

1) Laughably high cover price.
2) Cheap tat that would (and should) be instantly disposed of by the core readership.
3) Articles of general comics related interest that could be read for free online.

You're in for a solid few months entertainment.