Main Menu

Who drew the Biotronic Man stickers?

Started by norton canes, 01 June, 2017, 03:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

For no particular reason I was just looking at the 'Biotronic Man' stickers that came with prog 2, and I noticed they're actually quite a nifty and detailed bit of art.

Do we know who drew them? Were they commissioned especially for the comic, or are they just stock art with a couple of bits of Letraset?

sheridan

Tricky one - they don't look like they're by an archetypal 2000AD artist, but there's something of the Ron Turner or Ian Kennedy about them...

TordelBack

I thought Kennedy too, something in the lighting. If anyone has scans of Sugar's bionic arm from his Dan Dare we could do a comparison.   However, reading Steve McManus' excellent memoir, he describes Fleetway free gifts as being selected from a cupboard containing "samples from a bygone age" administered by a separate free-gift department.  Of course this may only apply to plastic tat, not something that could conceivably be designed and printed in-house, as it's hard to see the biotronics as anything but 1970s fare, ditto the Starlord Space Calculator.

terryworld

while we're on the subject, has anybody ever done a high res scan and printed their own off on sticker paper? getting your hands on the originals is a hard task, it'd be great to at least own a replica.

Colin YNWA

Utter guess but I'd have gone with Ron Turner. There is something about the colouring that says Ian Kennedy but something else about it says Ron Turner... not at all sure what but it really does?