Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 31 December, 2012, 10:27:38 AM
You get used to the controls.  Work your way through it, and just get sucked into the isolated beauty of the game.  I still think it is wonderful, despite the graphics looking a little dated these days.  Instead of scouring a dungeon for the baddie boss, the dungeon IS the baddie boss.  It's genius if you ask me.

All the 'isolated beauty' in the world doesn't really count for much if the controls are borderline broken like they are in this game. Seriously, what were they thinking? I still find the horse utterly baffling to control - moving the stick 'forwards' makes it turn around 180 degrees, its an absolute bitch to move or turn at a walking pace and it frequently gets stuck on walls and edges. I can already see that later on in the game I'm going to have to perform quite complex maneuvers and I think if I keep playing my controller is going to end up lodged in my living room wall.

Life's too short.

I hope Ico is better (I have quite fond memories of playing it at a mates house when it first came out), but I fear I've just wasted £20, and I can't even sell it on as its a download rather than a physical copy!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm working through The Walking Dead on the PC. Just finished Episode 2. This is the first game where I would not want my kids to see what I was playing. And zombies give me nightmares.

(And yet Mrs X imported a region free copy of the Unrated Cut of the Dawn of the Dead remake from the US for my Christmas. Hmm.)
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: radiator on 31 December, 2012, 12:47:13 PM

All the 'isolated beauty' in the world doesn't really count for much if the controls are borderline broken like they are in this game. Seriously, what were they thinking?

Life's too short.

This is a pet peeve of mine. I gave up on Grim Fandango and many others because they were just too hard to control.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

I didn't have any problems with Grim Fandango because it shared familiar 'tank' controls to the Resident Evil series - it was still a baffling choice to go that route instead of good old fashioned point and click though.

radiator

I should say as well that I tried The Walking Dead on iPad....

It's just not for me. Not what I'd consider a 'game'. It's not interactive enough.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: radiator on 31 December, 2012, 02:02:11 PM
I should say as well that I tried The Walking Dead on iPad....

It's just not for me. Not what I'd consider a 'game'. It's not interactive enough.

Fair point. I knew what I was getting into. It's more of an interactive movie, but that is what they were aspiring to achieve
Lock up your spoons!

shaolin_monkey

Radiator, I found the horse controls in SotC quite intuitive. You just have to remember you're pulling reins to try and steer an animal, rather than a motorbike or other mechanical vehicle. That aspect if the controls was something I really enjoyed! 

I'm probably not going to change your mind at all, each to their own etc, but I'm finding these differing experiences interesting.  I still say persevere, as I'm quite sad it's putting you off such a wonderful game. It just can be in parts so touching and understated, yet in others thrilling and exciting.  It's so sad when you take down a Colussus, which were otherwise just plodding along minding their own business. It's not often a game evokes an emotional response in me, but SotC did.

I, Cosh

I don't remember any problems with the controls in Shadow of the Colossus. Have they rejigged it for this release? Never understood all that guff in the reviews at the time about feeling guilty for killing them either. It was a decent game but not a patch on Ico.

I finally got Arkham City a few weeks ago. It's good but seems to be a step back from Asylum: everything seems slightly harder or more complicated than the first one and the storyline isn't as tight. Only had about 65% completed when I finished the main story too. Down to the last dozen or so trophies now but don't know if I can be bothered with all the challenge levels this time round.
We never really die.

radiator

I've played a bit more now and I can kind of start to see the quality within. It definitely has major flaws, but I'm seeing what people like about it. I still think the controls are pretty horrible, it doesn't really make a very good first impression, wandering round a big empty world soon gets boring.

Hope the colossi change a bit too, and its not all jump/climb rinse and repeat.

Mr Walter the Wobot

Last game played: Skyrim. A mind-blowing game which seems to be almost limitless. Also getting through Red Dead Redemption, which is so expansive it's almost scary  :o

On the subject of Skyrim, what race did other players (if there are any here) choose for their character? I picked Dark Elf, with a fetching red mohawk and a funky little beard  :P

Richmond Clements

QuoteJetpack Joyride - a side-scrolling minigame with only one button to press and I can't blimmin' stop - according to the stats I have played it 327 times already.

It's a thing of beauty that game.

Zarjazzer

Back to mass effect 3 a game so utterly full of annoying "expalin da plot" clips it's hard to fathom when your part of the game starts.They should have just made a movie. :(
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

shaolin_monkey

I gave up on it.  I found the previous two massively entertaining, but this one seemed interminably dull.  Maybe I'll give it another go one day.

Back to Skyrim for me, a break from the Far Cry 3 madness.  Skyrim is such an incredible game, but I've levelled up so many talents to the max the big bad guys aren't much of a challenge anymore.  Still, taking down dragons is a blast.  Pew pew!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Mass Effect 3's final fight was one of the most intense battles I've ever played through. Shame it was followed by the ending... where a signposted "this is what is happening now" would have been ever so handy. But it is still great.

Gave up on the Walking Dead at the end of episode 4 (of 5). It was too much like watching a film, except instead of shouting at dumb characters I was playing them
Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

Very much enjoying Resident Evil Revelations  on the 3DS.

Particularly bad script though; "Hang on Chris. Me and my sweet ass are on their way."
Be excellent to each other. And party on!