Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Aaron A Aardvark on 16 March, 2020, 11:16:43 AM
So I can wipe my arse on a squirrel when the toilet paper runs out?

Softer than Andrex but might tickle a bit 😂😂😂
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

JamesC

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 16 March, 2020, 12:03:57 PM
Quote from: Aaron A Aardvark on 16 March, 2020, 11:16:43 AM
So I can wipe my arse on a squirrel when the toilet paper runs out?

Softer than Andrex but might tickle a bit 😂😂😂

and it'll probably go for your nuts.

paddykafka

gurnard

I live in Belgium, British immigrant. My folks are in the UK and most of my friends.  I am sadly not suprised how little the UK gov seems to be doing. Here the schools closed today. All shops apart from food and pharmacy are closed at the weekends. All concerts have been postponed, bars and restaurants are closed but you can go get a takeaway.
Anyone who can work from home are advised to the office is open but the boss sent an email saying work from home. Shops are open in the week but I think they are changing that now to be just essentials.  If you have symptoms you call the doctor and they come to your home. There are daily updates from the state. There are also concessions for mortgage payments and the tax returns can go in a month or so later this year.

All of this makes me feel happy that the gov is taking actions to limit the spread and reduce the death toll. I wish the UK would do something similar. It is not a complete lock down but sensible precautions.

Tjm86

auxlen

My Job has stopped me from going out to customers. A colleague's son has it and it is awful (and he is only 22 and can't breathe). my parents are in their 70s and my mum keeps going to the shops for bits and bobs!!!!! she will never change.

and I keep getting people saying it's just a cold (like the Italians did).
I work in the construction supply industry and possibly saw it all a bit early from rushes and backorders on hand sanitizer and masks and tp. scary stuff.

we will never know if we overreacted or acted too soon.
but we will know for sure if we acted too little too late.

auxlen

Also, a shout goes out to all the people who cannot work from home. My mum was a cleaner and she couldn't clean from home so... :'(

TordelBack

If anyone wants to scare the living shite out of their elderly  parents in terms they may understand, try this: a comparison of the Death Notices in the Bergamo Echo newspaper from one month ago, and this week. Good luck not losing your composure by the end.

https://t.co/gTREDkDGPL

IndigoPrime

My dad's going to Lidl tomorrow, because of course he is. On the plus side, he's aiming to get enough that my parents won't have to leave their house again for a couple of months, potentially. I would have recommended getting a delivery, but good luck with that. Even getting on to the Ocado website now takes over 15 minutes, and there won't be any slots until you do. Sainsbury's and Tesco locally also have no slots. Morrisons doesn't have any for eight days (and god knows what you'll actually get). Asda still had some yesterday, but I imagine they're probably gone by now as well. Even Amazon is struggling with stock.

Still, everyone don't leave your homes!

TordelBack

As I long suspected, it's maths teachers that will kill us all. Watching social media reactions to latest Irish Govt briefing, where an established growth rate of 30% per day will mean 15,000 (identified) infections in a matter of weeks, and half the takes are people refusing to believe that 'only 30%' could end up with such a high figure . Add that to 'shure it only kills 1%' and it's obvious we have a situation where a huge part of the electorate can't grasp basic maths. Which may be where very many of our problems start.

shaolin_monkey

shaolin_monkey

Mark Drakeford, the Welsh AM, made a very important point tonight.

The rates of child poverty are so incredibly high in Wales, which means closing the schools would be a disaster - without their breakfast club and free school meals the kids would literally starve.

This is one of the main reasons they're holding off closing schools in Wales - to give Welsh government time to get something in place to counter this awful situation.

I imagine this is the same for other impoverished areas in the U.K.

Another slow handclap for Tory austerity.

Professor Bear

It's almost as if capitalism is the problem, and the pandemic is merely a symptom.  That stripping utilities to the bone until they're only just holding on is a bad idea and that infinite profit is a stupid concept on a sphere with a finite number of resources even before you get to the problem of some fuckers hoarding that profit in overseas accounts so it can't stimulate the economy.

My sister and her two oldest girls have made a point of visiting my mum regularly since people started social distancing and panic buying, so mum doesn't feel lonely and isolated what with her chest infection and advancing years and being short of breath all the time to the point she can barely speak.  Did I mention all three girls work in retail?  And haven't stopped working yet?  And one of them works at a 24 hour petrol station that is visited by one car in five passing through the town?  Honestly, I've just spent all my money on toilet paper and baked beans - where do they expect me to rustle up the cash for a decent pair of black shoes?

Tjm86

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 16 March, 2020, 11:21:32 PM
The rates of child poverty are so incredibly high in Wales, which means closing the schools would be a disaster
This is one of the main reasons they're holding off closing schools in Wales - to give Welsh government time to get something in place to counter this awful situation.

This is something that we are acutely aware of up here in the Valleys where this is not so much an abstract political problem but a daily reality.  Families are also heavily reliant on older relatives, many in risk-groups, for childcare so that is another issue.

I know that we have been critical of the government, and Johnson in particular, in the past (okay, with good reason ...) but even so I really don't envy him the choices he is facing right now.  Brexit is the least of his problems right now!

TordelBack

Entitled incompetent lies and fucks over his country (and mine) to gain power over everyone's lives, now he finds out what that responsibility can mean you feel sorry for him? You're a better man than I, Tjm86!  Personally I hope he vomits in terror everytime he looks in the mirror.