Main Menu

Done with everything?

Started by Smith, 09 November, 2017, 01:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 11 November, 2017, 10:37:09 AMI can't be arsed with horror at the moment,

Okay,who are you and what have you done with SBT? 

Spaceghost

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 November, 2017, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 11 November, 2017, 10:37:09 AMI can't be arsed with horror at the moment,

Okay,who are you and what have you done with SBT?

Corrie and Jeremy Kyle definitely count as horror.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Smith

So far,I wrote down Jeff Hawke,Pogo and Kyle Bakers Plastic Man.I will be buried in new material in no time. :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 13 November, 2017, 03:55:28 PM
So far,I wrote down Jeff Hawke,Pogo and Kyle Bakers Plastic Man.I will be buried in new material in no time. :)

Well I had a thing with Pogo as it influenced so many creators I adore and it was pretty good but I did drift from it (have the first two hardcover collections which I'm happy to pass on at a fair price if you are interested.

Now Plastic Man - lord that's some good comics.

If your not yet read then Concrete and all of Matt Wagner's work, especially Grendal and Mage are a must - but I think you'll have read them?

The Adventurer

Dean Motter's Mister X*, Terminal City, and Electropolis. Are must read imo

* original series, and the modern revival

Edit: Carla Speed MacNeil's Finder. Also essential.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 13 November, 2017, 09:14:14 PM
Dean Motter's Mister X*,

Must get around to that. Really enjoyed the stuff I read back in the day and haven't got around to it since returning to comes ... only 14 years ago!

Funt Solo

I had a few fallow comic years, but then did some research and ended up enjoying this stuff a lot:

Battlefields and War Stories (Ennis)
Top 10 (Moore)
Runaways (1st collection: Marvel)
Ms. Marvel [reading this to my daughter as bed time stories]
Saga (Image)
Powers (the 1st one: Icon)
Locke & Key
Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. (Ellis)
Rat Queens vol 1 (2 is okay and 3 jumps the shark - then kills it slowly with blunt spoons)

And in a land without pictures, you might feast on:

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie
Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey

(Warning: both of the above may lead to many more purchases.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

That's a good reminder on Ennis' Battlefields.  I'd lost track after the original Vertigo run but he's been at it for quite a while now.  Wife nagging about Christmas list so perhaps those should be added.

I guess while we are in this area, the Titan Battle reprints are obvious purchases?  Not just the Charley's War which Rebellion have lined up for another run but also Johnny Red, Darkies Mob, Major Eazy (unfortunately a stumbled collection), Rat Pack and the two Battle Classic volumes with HMS Nightshade and Fighting Mann.  Johnny Red leads neatly on to the recent Titan series which worked quite well, which leads us on to their HookJaw series which was a nice little read.  Running at the same time as Gibson's Archangel ...

Do we want to get moderators to rename this thread the "You've gotta read this!"

Smith

Battlefields and War Stories (Ennis) - Yes,I did.
Top 10 (Moore) - Actually,not sure if I have.
Runaways (1st collection: Marvel) -Also the only good one.
Ms. Marvel - Dont care for modern Marvel,dont care for whiny fangirls,sorry.
Saga (Image) - I tried but its not my thing
Powers (the 1st one: Icon) - few volumes of it,I lost interest later on
Locke & Key - I read some of it,but I cant recall if I finished it.
Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. (Ellis) -Yes.
Rat Queens vol 1 (2 is okay and 3 jumps the shark - then kills it slowly with blunt spoons) -Actually,I didn't,so I might check that out.

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 November, 2017, 06:32:29 AM
I guess while we are in this area, the Titan Battle reprints are obvious purchases?  Not just the Charley's War which Rebellion have lined up for another run but also Johnny Red, Darkies Mob, Major Eazy (unfortunately a stumbled collection), Rat Pack and the two Battle Classic volumes with HMS Nightshade and Fighting Mann.  Johnny Red leads neatly on to the recent Titan series which worked quite well, which leads us on to their HookJaw series which was a nice little read.  Running at the same time as Gibson's Archangel ...

Charleys War,Darkies Mob,Johnny Red and Hookjaw - yes.TBH,Im not really in the mood for war comics right now.But maybe later on...
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 November, 2017, 07:59:26 PM

Well I had a thing with Pogo as it influenced so many creators I adore and it was pretty good but I did drift from it (have the first two hardcover collections which I'm happy to pass on at a fair price if you are interested.

Now Plastic Man - lord that's some good comics.

If your not yet read then Concrete and all of Matt Wagner's work, especially Grendal and Mage are a must - but I think you'll have read them?

I have,actually.I read some Pogo online (all legal ofc),and it didn't really click with me,so Im not sure if I will pursue it further.

And thanks for the recommendations,everyone.

Apestrife

Tried re reading some of your favorite books? It's what I'v done when I'v gotten the idea that I had read all there was. I've always found some new similar books, or realised there where even genres I hadn't given a try.

Fungus

"Read all there was" just fries my brain! On any level that's nuts.

Smith

Quote from: Fungus on 14 November, 2017, 06:36:39 PM
"Read all there was" just fries my brain! On any level that's nuts.
Which,for the fourth time,isnt what I said.

Tiplodocus

Have you got that "1001 Comics to read before you die"?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Smith

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 14 November, 2017, 06:54:33 PM
Have you got that "1001 Comics to read before you die"?
No,not really.