Main Menu

Prog 2058 - A Frosty Reception

Started by A.Cow, 18 November, 2017, 12:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Cover -- Wow.  Cliff Robinson delivers the goods again.

Nerve Centre -- Woah!?? What's this week's Damage Report on about?  Could it be a sly hint that Rebellion are [spoiler]doing a high-quality digitisation of the full 2000 AD archive[/spoiler]?  If so, I'd gleefully pay a subscription for that.  Sign me up now.  Where do I send my bank details?

Dredd -- Now THAT'S how you write six pages of pretty much nothing happening.  Take note Mr Slaine.

Slaine -- So the last few progs have [spoiler]just been a "what-if" tease[/spoiler]?  This strip is descending into self-parody.

Absalom -- Good solid stuff.

Tharg's 3rillers -- Blimey.  I really enjoyed that.  Tightly-plotted with impeccable logic.  Looking forward to part 2.  Good work from Mr Robson.

Indigo Prime -- I hope somebody is enjoying this because I ain't.  Dumping seven pages at us in one go with [spoiler]a "to be continued"[/spoiler]?  The vitriolic cynic in me suggests that Mr W has grown tired of aping JSmith's "random word generator" style dialogue.

All-in-all, despite Slaine & IP, a great prog this week.

Mattofthespurs

No prog at the Mat-Cave today  :(

Add to the fact that my beloved Spurs didn't turn up for the North London Derby and this weekend has been a bit shit so far.

Could get worse. Off to see Justice League tomorrow.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 18 November, 2017, 02:57:13 PM
No prog at the Mat-Cave today  :(

Add to the fact that my beloved Spurs didn't turn up for the North London Derby and this weekend has been a bit shit so far.

Best prepare yourself for more disappointment then!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

dweezil2

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 18 November, 2017, 02:57:13 PM

It's gonna get worse!!!!!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Richard

I like Indigo Prime. It's a shame it's taking a break, but that's likely to be so that the artist can catch up, rather than because the new writer has hot tired of it already.  ::)

Mattofthespurs

Marvelous  >:(

Still, it's on my Cineworld card so no extra cost

Woolly

Quote from: A.Cow on 18 November, 2017, 12:44:59 PM
Nerve Centre -- Woah!?? What's this week's Damage Report on about?  Could it be a sly hint that Rebellion are [spoiler]doing a high-quality digitisation of the full 2000 AD archive[/spoiler]?  If so, I'd gleefully pay a subscription for that.  Sign me up now.  Where do I send my bank details?

Its a reference to the new coloured edition of Halo Jones that's coming out, probably.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Woolly on 18 November, 2017, 05:54:21 PM

Its a reference to the new coloured edition of Halo Jones that's coming out, probably.

That was defo my reading of it. Which is a shame cos yours got me all excited A.Cow.

Anyway to matters Proggy and while this weeks ain't quite up to the level of late weeks its not bad at all.

Dredd leds us off with an action packed turn in this arc as my enemy's enemy becomes my friend I assume... will it it be his enemy's enemy that became his friend? ... I think one of Dredd's enemys is about to become his friend... mind knowing Joe he'll just take them both down.... fun stuff.

All credit to Pat Mills last week in Slaine he convinced me that the twist I'd seen coming a while ago had happened. This week he flipped me the bird and the teist is  the twist wasn't actually the twist at all and his twist was to untwist his twist, the tricky little might. I quite enjoyed being led down a merry path by Uncle Pat... which sounds worse than it was come to think of it.

Absalom is still excellent.

The new 3riller has a decent start but it has a fundamental problem. It s pseudo-Elizabethain heiat caper which could be great fun bit there's no jeopardy. Its all set up and we have a few characters dropped nicely into place and the heist has started swimmingly... and that's it. I mean I'm sure there's more to come but this week no sense of threat or danger and nothing to keep me on tender hooks awaiting next week.

Same with Indigo Prime EXCEPT there is bloody plenty of tension and danger BUT there's no bloody point waiting for next week as its on a break. DAMNIT. Damn you Lee Carter (I'm guessing here so excuse my ill informed lashing out!) and your painstakingly lovely art... or whatever is causing the delay in getting this out... but Jez it leaves with a glorious bang and for all my misgivings and nerves when this started I can't wait for this to be back (when hopefully we will havbe it explained specifically why Revere is back and its not just a gimmick.)

Anyway - very good Proggage.

Richard

I don't see why we'd need an explanation for Revere. Indigo Prime recruits dead people as its agents and gives them new bodies. They recruited Revere. What else do you need to know?

A.Cow

Quote from: Woolly on 18 November, 2017, 05:54:21 PM

Ahh ... that makes much more sense.  Thanks.  :)

(P.S. It's "on tenterhooks".  Surprisingly, the phrase does not related to hanging meat or tenderising it.)

Proudhuff

Cover -- Wow.  Classic face off and a contender for Cover of the year IMHO

Nerve Centre -- They are burning Halo Jones...  Shirley Nott :'(

Dredd -- Top hole stuff, the odd wee glitch in the art, the wall coming down, too much orange, but they are minor mumps, great Dredd otherwise.

Slaine -- Great art, but I wish I gave a **** about who Slaine's Mum shagged... or didn't or why7, or how she could control which sperm fertilised her, but I don't.

Absalom -- Great stuff once i remembered the Gov's, backstory and the grow an extra bit made me chortle

Tharg's 3rillers -- Blimey.  I enjoyed that.  Tightly-plotted with impeccable logic.  Looking forward to part 2.
Glad Steve Austin is putting that arm to good use. 

Indigo Prime - lalalalalalalalalala... to be continued..FFS

All-in-all, despite Slaine & IP, a great prog this week.
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Treading water Prog for me I'm afraid.

Bit disappointed with the break for Indigo Prime....but only in as much as it's coming back and not wrapping up. :D

I really would like to like it you know, but, as I have said before it just loses me. Yes I was hoping it might be more comprehensible with a new writer (which Devlin Waugh seems to be in the Meg) but sadly not. But then again I can't follow The Order either. Actually that's not fair. I find The Order way easier to follow than this.

The Corinthian

Quote from: Richard on 18 November, 2017, 09:01:46 PM
I don't see why we'd need an explanation for Revere. Indigo Prime recruits dead people as its agents and gives them new bodies. They recruited Revere. What else do you need to know?
"Why?"

So far there's been no real reason for him to be there, except fan service. Apart from giving us a not-universally-well-received "wow" cliffhanger, his presence in the story is completely pointless.

The bit about "the living book" this Prog made me worry that Leatherjack was about to show up as well.

Tiplodocus

Well I enjoyed all of that top marks go to that cover and Absalom but I thought it all worked really well. Oddly, Slaine is also making me laugh. I love the idea that this memory retrieval is being ordered in such a way that it leaves teases and cliffhangers.

Again, Tharg is doing a grand job matching artists to strip... combinations that really zing and play to strengths and creativity (Is all that portrait work in the script for Slaine? I don't know but whether it was Pat or Simon that made the decision, it's a good one for me and gives the tale a distinct look and feel).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!