Main Menu

1478 - King of New York

Started by DavidXBrunt, 06 March, 2006, 05:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

I have literally nothing to add to this thread, I'm just going for the double. Off to Georges Meet and Eat to read the prog and meg over breakfast.

DavidXBrunt

Belting prog. Not so keen on the cover and don't know how appealing it would be to a new audience.

Dredd - Makes a lot of sense, and I like the way it's developed. The art is by Cam Kennedy. That's practically a synonym for quality in my book.

The A.B.C.'s plods on nicely with stunning art from Flint and clunky dialogue.

Ten Seconders explains the title and has settled down well. Aparantly the art is nice in next weeks episode.

Bec and Kawl - The best episode yet, finally living up to it's potential and kicking into a higher gear than previous runs. Brilliant.

Rogue - S'okay. No more no less.

Buttonman

Good if not spectacular prog.

SPOILERS>>>

Felt the Dredd was a bit of a let down. We all had sister/wife/love child/clone/time traveller theories and ended up with something else. Something duller. The top sky surf ability has yet to be explained, so I hope there is more to come rather than a simple wannabe nutter. Merci looks 3 foot tall in some panels so maybe she is a shapeshifter from another dimention.

The ABC warriors are mirroring the crappy events in Shimura over in the Meg with all guns no grip.

10 Seconders OK with the thinking behind the name revealed. See Blackadder 4!

Rogue setting up for 'The Hit' part 2 - don't go there.

Decent prog most of the round.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/button71/6663.jpg">

Funt Solo

I presume the Juanita aside in ABCs is a throwback to a plot I heard about in an ABC novel.  It stands out like a sore thumb - and I'm wary of mixing up the media in this way.  I wouldn't expect to go and see a movie which had scenes that only make sense to people who have chosen to consume related media.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

DavidXBrunt

Yep, Juanita and Joe got it on it the first Black Flane novel, co-written by The Man Called Pat Mills, and it's actually a decent read. Made me laugh a lot, particularly The Crying Game sequence.

The Amstor Computer

Poor Gordon can't win, can he?

If the new prog had revealed that "Mercey" really was Chopper's daughter/sister/whatever, he'd be getting it in the neck from people about making the strip too "soap opera" or "unbelievable". Instead we get a nice little bait & switch that intrigues readers then offers a satisfying, interesting explanation that plays on 2K history for maximum effect. Good stuff.

Rob Spalding

Yeah, I liked the Red Herring of last weeks "shocking conclusion".

Still enjoying the Ten Seconders, not too sure where Harris got the train/truck(?) from.

It did have the best line "Have you met my mate Harris?  He's Welsh."

Trout

I quite enjoyed the Dredd, although I thought Kennedy's art was rushed in many places. He draws better than I can, though.

The ABC Warriors is still leaving me cold.

Bec and Kawl is the best it's ever been. Good fun. I laughed.

Rogue Trooper is better than last week, but still not exactly thrilling me.

Finally, the Ten Seconders is the best thing in the prog, despite its lack of a hyphen in the title.

It should have a hyphen!

Nice cover, too.

- Trout

LARF

Dredd - Stupendous. You really want to stick up for Merci and give Dredd the what for. Best in prog this week. - 5

ABC - Agree with Fish Lips, it's lacking something but I can't put my finger on it, maybe it's the fact that all the ABC Warriors are dropping like flies and the characterisation is poor. There's no warmth... - still Flint gives it a 3

Rogue - Not bad, unsure about the artwork, slow story at the moment, and does anyone else think Rogue looks too pumped up?... - 2

Ten-Seconders - Genius!!! I love this strip, it's creepy, twisty, different and has all the best lines... - 5

Fec and All - Can I have my 35p back please (?1.75 / 5 = 35p). This is shite, boring, unfunny and pointless. I mean just look at the strip for starters all the panels are the same size and the artwork's never really floated my boat, it's mundane and tries to be funny on so many levels, but fails like that clown in this weeks episode - although he does get a laugh st the end and I think that I did smile once but that may have just been a large warm fart I let off and scared the dog. Is it trying to be some kind of Buffy parody this story? - because it's just lame... - 0

Sorry chaps but it doesn't work for me.

DavidXBrunt

I don't think it's specifically parodying Buffy, it's just being itself now. I think this is the best the strip has ever been, you think it's shite. Horses for course I think.

Funt Solo

Bec & Kawl's really surprised me.  After the traffic cones (which I had an intense and probably irrational hatred for) I just assumed that this new series would be crapola gorgonzola, and had taken to referring to it as Boke & Krawl.

BUT - this series is great, and has completely upset my expectation apple-cart (big up to the KLF!).  Put it this way - I want to know what happens next week and I'm upset because I'm scared that the nice woman with the pink gloop floating over her head is going to be some kind of demon and her and Kawl won't live happily ever after.

ABCs?  I don't care.  They might live, they might die, they might get resurrected.  It's all happened before and just can't help but be a bit stale for that.

Rogue Trooper?  Will he do as the mad scientist suggests?  Who cares?  It might be an entertaining gung ho gun-fest, but it's hardly a mystery plot.

Press play, Tonto:

They?re justified and they?re ancient
And they like to roam the land
They?re justified and they?re ancient
I hope you understand
They don?t want to upset the apple cart
And they don?t want to cause any harm
But if you don?t like what they?re going to do
You better not stop them cause they?re coming through
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

DavidXBrunt

Tammy Wynette IS the first lady of country music.

Artificial Idiot

I'm with Hamstor on the Dredd issue - A refreshing change from the tired, old 'clone/sister/relation' angle. Just because she's not related, doesn't mean her bad sky-boarding skills are any less plausible.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

DavidXBrunt

Just noticed that there's a New York skyline panorama on the cover and you can barely see it. That loses points that does.