Main Menu

Laptop advice

Started by Bhuna, 04 December, 2014, 03:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhuna

I'm looking at getting a new laptop for Mrs Bhuna and what to know if any of you techi guys can recommend a good make (decent chassis, firm keys etc). I'm looking at something with about 6-8 gig of ram too. The budget is around £300-£400

Cheers
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Banners

What does she need it for?

Bhuna

Just general surfing, emails, Youtube, farcebook etc.
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Banners

Quote from: Bhuna on 04 December, 2014, 03:54:31 PM
Just general surfing, emails, Youtube, farcebook etc.

Probably best with a tablet then – certainly don't need 6GB. Maybe an iPad with a keyboard dock if she like to type.

Bhuna

Cheers Banner,

She has an Ipad mini, but she like to 'tap' away on a real keyboard. Plus I think she wants to look at a decent sized screen too.
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

IndigoPrime

Shame she doesn't have an iPad Air, otherwise I'd have just recommended a Logitech Ultrathin.

What email service does she use?

Bhuna

Wow, that's cool! Email wise, just hotmail really.
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Theblazeuk

6-8 gigs of ram just to browse/watch?

Sure you're not trying to play some games on the side...?  ;)

IndigoPrime

Ideally, an iPad Air and a Ultrathin would be the way to go, if she likes iOS; if not, just tinkering online and email hardly needs anything especially powerful. I'd actually be tempted to look at a Chromebook for that kind of thing. You can get a fairly good one for £250 and spend the rest of your money on sweets.

Bhuna

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 05 December, 2014, 10:15:44 AM

We've been bit on the arse with Windows Vista where it has 4gig of ram already, plus I'm trying to make it future proof too.  ;)
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Banners

Buying Windows 8 won't make it future-proof with Windows 10 around the corner. Unless you need it to run software for specific purposes, buying any Windows-based laptop is a questionable decision these days (and that's coming from an MS fanboi).

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Bhuna on 05 December, 2014, 01:48:12 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 05 December, 2014, 10:15:44 AM

We've been bit on the arse with Windows Vista where it has 4gig of ram already, plus I'm trying to make it future proof too.  ;)

Vista :/ Windows 7 runs fine on mine with just 2. Vista was such a dog...

Bhuna

Has anyone had any dealing with Dell. I've been recommended this by a few friends.

It seems to have some really good specs for the money.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-5547-laptop/pd?oc=cn54716&model_id=inspiron-15-5547-laptop
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

IndigoPrime

Perfectly fine run-of-the-mill laptops, in my experience. The Morrisons of computers. That said, I'm these days deeply suspicious of any laptop running a full number pad (on account of it forcing you to skew your position and thereby run the risk of RSI—it's very unergonomic and smacks of something that's there because BULLET POINT LIST rather than because someone's designed it properly), and 2.6 kg? Good grief. The only time I will ever buy another computer approaching that kind of weight is if I ever upgrade to a new iMac.

Banners

You'll probably want to avoid Windows 8.