Started by Kerrin, 05 February, 2011, 05:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

House of Usher

That made me read it, thanks.
STRIKE !!!

Kerrin

There's even a Dredd mention.

I really must reacquaint myself with Moorcock's work, haven't read any for years.

House of Usher

I think his older work has great appeal to adolescents. I found his Michael Kane and Oswald Bastable trilogies quite an effort to sustain an interest in when I read them in my thirties.
STRIKE !!!

Kerrin

Quote from: House of Usher on 05 February, 2011, 07:02:16 PM
I think his older work has great appeal to adolescents.

Perfect!  :D

I was thinking of trying 'Mother London'.

TordelBack

Quote from: House of Usher on 05 February, 2011, 07:02:16 PM
I think his older work has great appeal to adolescents. I found his Michael Kane and Oswald Bastable trilogies quite an effort to sustain an interest in when I read them in my thirties.

Very true.  I loved 'heroic' Moorcock in my early-mid teens, literally couldn't read them fast enough.   Stuff like Jerry Cornelius, Behold the Man and Dancers at the End of Time stuff sustained me in to my later teens, but since then the 'Between the Wars' books are all that's held my interest.  That said, I've still to read Mother London and London Bone.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Kerrin on 05 February, 2011, 07:15:46 PM
I was thinking of trying 'Mother London'.

I rate Mother London very highly. Intelligent, but highly readable, it's a great, chaotic but engaging sprawl of a book that manages to feel like the city which it describes. I actually approached the city itself with new eyes after reading this book, and have found myself enjoying a much improved relationship with the Smoke ever since. The sequence dealing with the start of the Blitz alone is an astonishingly potent piece of writing.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.