Main Menu

New Poll: Pronouncing "prog": Do you rhyme it with "dog" or with "vogue"?

Started by 2000AD Online, 25 August, 2005, 07:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artificial Idiot

"But Prog as in dog makes me think not of thrill power but of lank haired 60's rock opera. I cant be avin that."

Yeah? Well Prog as in Progue makes me think of Madonna and toffee-nosed aristocratic bints! Now if that isn't thrill-sucking in the extreme I don't know what is...

Tweak72

AI, that?s the best definition of 'Pillock' I've heard today
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Conexus

have to agree against pronouncing it progue, that puts me in mind of a pedantic, pretensious twat

House of Usher

"I don't care if she does work on the radio its cast as in past rather than farst"

Shouldn't that be cast as in gassed rather than arsed? Cast as in past can only lead to confusion, as it could easily be read as parst.

(because 'cast as in past' has no more explanatory power than 'cast as in cast')
STRIKE !!!

Dark Jimbo

'Prouge', as well as being totally incorrect, sounds bloody ridiculous and it always embarrasses me just a little when someone I'm with says it. The way you have to roll out the sound and stupidly over-emphasise that 'o', it sounds pretentious and twatty in the extreme. Talking about tooth you need a nice, blunt-sounding word, straight and to the point.

'Prouge...' Honestly, has anyone seriously ever said this and not felt like a complete gimp?
@jamesfeistdraws

House of Usher

But Jimbo, would one pronounce that "prooge" or "prowge"?
STRIKE !!!

Dark Jimbo

"Shouldn't that be cast as in gassed rather than arsed? Cast as in past can only lead to confusion, as it could easily be read as parst.

(because 'cast as in past' has no more explanatory power than 'cast as in cast')"

But surely cast as in gassed is wrong? Then it would be cassed, with the emphasis on the ess's rather than the 'a'. Fair enough if you're northern, I suppose, but otherwise 'past' works much better.
@jamesfeistdraws

Bad Andy

because 'cast as in past' has no more explanatory power than 'cast as in cast'

Yeah I know but I had brain drain. However it did allow people to come to the right conclusions when teamed up with farst.

I concur that your examples of gassed and arsed are superior though and, even better, they are linked contextually too.

House of Usher

:D

Cheers, Andy! You're right of course that the clues were all there: it was like algebra or a logic puzzle.

Contextual link between arsed and gassed? Ewww!!! Open a window. No wonder you're called 'Bad' Andy. It's like Blazing Saddles in here!
STRIKE !!!

Dark Jimbo

"But Jimbo, would one pronounce that "prooge" or "prowge"?"

I was thinking specifically of 'prowge'. Never heard it pronounced 'prooge' but that would annoy the hell out of me too!
@jamesfeistdraws

Mudcrab

Ooh darling, I'm having the most spiffing time, reclining on the Chais Longue, sipping Gin and reading the latest Progue.

It's Prog, Gruddammit!

:o)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Dark Jimbo

Thanks lobster, that pretty much says it all!
@jamesfeistdraws

Satanist

Lets face it. No matter how you pronounce it in the real world you're going to be branded a total nerd.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Max Kon

Unless you pronounce it like 'issue'

test 4 echo

or don't pronounce it at all. For me it's always been " the one with the skull on the cover" or other such description. Unless its Dredd with big gun then it becomes 1450.

Pretty sure I've never said the word prog aloud.