Main Menu

Sick Kids Save Point Sci-Fi Games Marathon 2018!

Started by Keef Monkey, 10 October, 2018, 11:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

I post about this every year so apologies for the deja vu!

This weekend I'll be taking part in Sick Kids Save Point, a gaming marathon to raise money for Edinburgh Children's Hospital Charity.

I'll be starting on Saturday morning and doing up to 36hrs (I've been adding an hour for every £10 raised and am sitting at 29hrs currently!) and this year I'll only be playing sci-fi games. Aiming to beat some unplayed games from the pile of shame and also do full runs on some classics (Halo 1, Dead Space 2, Dark Void because my mate made that a condition of his donation!), and streaming the whole thing to prove I haven't fallen asleep.

If you do wish to donate or learn more about the charity my page is here - https://sp18.everydayhero.com/uk/keith-s-sick-kids-save-point-2018

And I'll be streaming on Mixer all weeked - https://mixer.com/Superbeasto

Got a good chunk of space-based games to dip into so should at least be a fun if incredibly tiring ordeal, cheers!

GrudgeJohnDeed

Nice, good luck! Dark Void is on my backburner too, so hopefully I'll catch some of that - I don't know that much about it, apart from it being 'not terrible' and at the time I bought it, extremely cheap!

Keef Monkey

Cheers, it's years since I played it but remember it being quite decent! It's got a lot of Rocketeer-style charm and a cracking soundtrack (Bear McReary of Battlestar did it and it's very BSG!) so I'm quite looking forward to revisiting it. Probably going to play half of it at the start of the marathon and then finish it at the end to break it up a bit!

GrudgeJohnDeed

Glad to heat it's good, I'll try and tune in Saturday morning then to catch some! What time are you starting?

Keef Monkey

Planning to start at 7:30am on Saturday, means I can finish at a decent time Sunday (particularly if I wind up doing 36hrs). Made the mistake of starting on Friday night last year which meant two all-nighters and that felt quite mad so not going to do that again! This year my only hurdle is I'm getting to bed pretty late on the Friday (there's a late night showing of Cyber City Oedo 808, and I've always wanted to rewatch that) so will probably be knackered before I even start, but it's for a good cause!

GrudgeJohnDeed

I might be a couple of hours late to the party, maybe you'll still be engrossed in it by then though! Oh great, Cyber City Oedo is another of those properties like Patlabor that I ran into in the trailers on Manga VHSes but never actually saw myself. Is it on TV or at a cool little cinema or something?

Keef Monkey

It's showing at the GFT in Glasgow as part of the Scotland Loves Anime festival (which I think takes place in Edinburgh too actually). It was one of my favourites back in the VHS days but haven't seen it since. Quite often complain to anyone who'll listen that it's never had a DVD or Blu-Ray release here so the chance to finally watch it again on a big screen isn't something I can really skip out on! Looking forward to it, it's showing with the old Manga Video dub I think so that should add a bit of nostalgic sweary cheese factor.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Sounds ace, is there a good website for keeping an eye out for small cinema events? I should be looking for stuff like that to go to. Also I read on the Wikipedia that the Manga version has it's own soundtrack that's more fitting in tone, so sounds like a good choice to show that version!

Will you be playing any multiplayer or will it all be campaign stuff?

Keef Monkey

I only found out about this particular screening because of a very thoughtful downstairs neighbour actually! We've only spoken a couple of times but one of those times anime came up and it turned out we both really fondly remembered Cyber City. Months later he chapped on our door to let me know it was showing. That's some absolutely top quality neighbouring! Other than that I just keep an eye on the GFT site, most of the interesting movie seasons and festivals in Glasgow tend to wind up there. They do a nice membership deal too that gets you a discount and some complimentary tickets, plus because it's a smaller artier cinema there's way less of the noisy annoying folk you find in the big Cineworlds and stuff. I'm sure all cities have some equivalent of it, I really love the GFT!

Multiplayer-wise I'm definitely going to do a couple of hours of Battlefront 2 on Saturday if you have it, got a rough schedule figured out so think I'll be on that from about 3pm. Do you play it? I've not done anywhere near as much of the MP in that game as I'd like so determined to do a chunk of it!

Other than that everything I've managed to round up is campaign stuff, but going to co-op through Halo with my wee brother through Saturday night, he's in Canada so handily will be available to play in the less sociable hours :D

GrudgeJohnDeed

That is top neighbouring! There's an independant cinema in Manchester that's pretty active, I should check their website more often for old japanese films and anime, it must come up every now and again.

Yeah I'd be up for some SW Battlefront 2, I do own that. I've got Titanfall 2 too!

Keef Monkey

Just saw this now, and wishing we'd done some Titanfall 2 as well! Cheers for all the encouragement and for the Battlefront session, was ace and very much appreciated!

In general though the only real low points were realising I was never going to beat Dark Void in the time I had, and remembering the hard way just how much of a dive the first Halo takes once the Flood appear. Up to that point it was holding up great! Definitely threw a bit of a midnight tantrum at the Library level.

Other than that was good tiring fun and looks like the charity raised a lot of money so all worth it!