Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 21 January, 2013, 12:59:02 PM
What would be useful is if someone posted a list of the missing/stolen pages so we all knew what to look out for...

Good point.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Bubba Zebill

Didn't know about this issue myself, it makes for really interesting (and saddening!) reading. Must be absolutely awful to have produced pages to such a high and legendary standard and just not knowing where they are.

From the looks of things, I don't think Bolland even knows himself which pages are missing. Apparently he can't locate this page now. (if I created something like this and couldn't locate it I'd be crying myself to sleep every night until it was found!)

[/quote]

I think this one may be lost within his own collection. I may be mistaken, but wasn't it this that he had in his studio and now can't find?...If so, it's not one of the many that walked or were destroyed. But yes, heart breaking.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Andy_Lee

The extreme answer is a big spreadsheet courtesy of Barney with a load of CAF links. It's doable but a bit stalkerish. Knowing this would any of you buy an unsigned Bolland?

ming

There's way too much art not listed on CAF to make that worthwhile, to be honest.  Either people not aware, not interested or just determined to keep what they have out of the public eye.  Those missing Bolland pages are never going to surface and I doubt we'll ever really know what still exists and what's vanished without trace.

And no, I don't think I'd buy an unsigned or questionable page; too much respect for the creators for that.

Skullmo

In the excellent book the Art of Brian Bolland  (recommended reading) Brian recounts a tale from the late 70s where he went to the Daily Express office and bought some Jeff Hawke artwork from a couple of flunkies that had access to the store room where all the strip art was left. And the irony that a few years later a similar thing would be done to his art.
It's a joke. I was joking.

J3D1

Incredible scores of late!
Top stuff.

Colin YNWA

There was a really nice page from Dead Man got snapped up yesterday. I was about to up my bid to about £70 on it after having been ahead in the, up to then, lacklustre chase, in the last few minutes. I still expected to be snipped at the last moment, but it was worth a punt I figured. Alas by the time I got to it it'd already got to over £80 and then the action really took off. Even left behind in the dust as I was, it was worth watching the end as it got to over £130.

Anybody here lucky enough to win it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140905046751?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Spikes

Shame you couldnt snag that page Colin. Those Dead Man pages are superb - plus its a top story, as well.
It went for about the right money, i think. Most DM pages go for around the hundred-ish mark.

Some nice pieces - Redondo Nemesis etc still up for grabs on E-bay at the moment.

Greg M.

QuoteThere was a really nice page from Dead Man got snapped up yesterday.

Sorry Colin, that was me. Yeah, I got it for slightly less than the last Dead Man I bought (that was about 150 I think) - but significantly more than several pages I bought about a decade ago, which were about 15 quid each. I must have about 7 or 8 Dead Man interior pages now (not all up on CAF yet) plus the cover to 652.

Colin YNWA

Nowt to say sorry for Greg, well done for winning it. I was just amazed that it stayed at around £60 for so long. Long before the end (in terms of bids if not time) it'd slipped out of my reach (which after this is in danger of going up, as it was such a tempting piece!) and really glad someone here got it.

I love the way that page in particular feels so like a western (the whole thing is of course, but that page so specifically), something John Ridgway does so well. It looks like its come straight out of Shane, the running through cornfield almost being Twainesque. Bloody great page so chuffed for you.

opaque

It's nice when it's people on here that get things. At least then we know they are going to good homes/know where to go when you win the lottery :P

ming

Quote from: opaque on 22 January, 2013, 03:18:54 PM
It's nice when it's people on here that get things. At least then we know they are going to good homes/know where to go when you win the lottery :P

...or at least where to go in the dead of night, with a crowbar.

Greg M.

QuoteIt looks like its come straight out of Shane, the running through cornfield almost being Twainesque. Bloody great page so chuffed for you.

Cheers, Colin - yeah, that cornfield panel really struck a chord with me too. A lad and his dog, sneaking off for adventure, still full of youthful enthusiasm: how could it possibly go wrong?

For those keeping crowbar-antic-related score, I got the Bad Company page that was up on ebay recently too. And the 'Deathtrap Dungeon' picture. I wasn't buying much original art last year - after getting hold of my 'holy grail' page from Bad Company II, the bug stopped biting for a while, and I felt content with my lot. But just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in... there's been a lot of great stuff on ebay alone in the last month.

ming

Quote from: Greg M. on 22 January, 2013, 03:39:42 PMFor those keeping crowbar-antic-related score, I got the Bad Company page that was up on ebay recently too. And the 'Deathtrap Dungeon' picture. I wasn't buying much original art last year - after getting hold of my 'holy grail' page from Bad Company II, the bug stopped biting for a while, and I felt content with my lot. But just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in... there's been a lot of great stuff on ebay alone in the last month.

Good to hear, Greg!  Post 'em up if you get chance; some nice pieces you've picked up there.

Greg M.

It appears I also won the Redondo Nemesis too... my poor wallet!

Cheers ming... my CAF site is in dire need of updating, so once I sort out some photos / scans for that, will stick 'em up here too.