Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Argh. Thank you. That's very kind.

I want them so very badly - I love Groo and have so many gaps in my collection that I would definitely be missing a lot of these - but I'm about to move house and have 60 boxes of comics STUFF...

Argh. Must... resist... Must... reach... bootknife...

staticgirl

I found a newspaper clipping in my mum's photograph box which showed an interview with my Great Uncle Fred in 1948. He'd helped to set up a choir for the Ukranian refugees in the hostel he ran and the article had a photo of the choir in folk costume. From enquiries to family members it seems that most had no idea he'd been involved in anything like this (his sister must have kept the newspaper clipping and it got put in the box which my mum inherited). I contacted a chap who ran a village website in the Nottinghamshire pit village where the hostel was and he told me it was a former POW camp and that the inhabitants (Germans, Italians and latterly Ukrainians, who were sent to work on local farms) had been encouraged to make friends with local families and visit them for tea. (I have this image in my head of former German troopers sitting in some miner's best sitting room drinking tea and making awkward conversation about growing cabbages.)

Recently I contacted the Nottingham Ukrainian Society and they have just sent back a lovely e-mail saying they had also lost all record of this hostel and it had helped fill a little gap in the records. They also thanked my Uncle Fred effusively as a friend of all Ukrainians during a horrible time when they couldn't go home because the Russians had invaded and were hunting down anyone who had worked (however much under duress) for the Germans.

The whole thing is making me feel very fluffy about my Uncle Fred I can tell you. I've passed on what I've found out to his children who are now in their 60s as he died when I was tiny. (I did meet him but I can't really remember him.) It's this sort of thing that gets the family talking to each other when they've lost touch like my mum and her cousins had.

Trout

Quote from: staticgirl on 24 August, 2012, 01:54:57 PM
I found a newspaper clipping in my mum's photograph box which showed an interview with my Great Uncle Fred in 1948. He'd helped to set up a choir for the Ukranian refugees in the hostel he ran and the article had a photo of the choir in folk costume. From enquiries to family members it seems that most had no idea he'd been involved in anything like this (his sister must have kept the newspaper clipping and it got put in the box which my mum inherited). I contacted a chap who ran a village website in the Nottinghamshire pit village where the hostel was and he told me it was a former POW camp and that the inhabitants (Germans, Italians and latterly Ukrainians, who were sent to work on local farms) had been encouraged to make friends with local families and visit them for tea. (I have this image in my head of former German troopers sitting in some miner's best sitting room drinking tea and making awkward conversation about growing cabbages.)

Recently I contacted the Nottingham Ukrainian Society and they have just sent back a lovely e-mail saying they had also lost all record of this hostel and it had helped fill a little gap in the records. They also thanked my Uncle Fred effusively as a friend of all Ukrainians during a horrible time when they couldn't go home because the Russians had invaded and were hunting down anyone who had worked (however much under duress) for the Germans.

The whole thing is making me feel very fluffy about my Uncle Fred I can tell you. I've passed on what I've found out to his children who are now in their 60s as he died when I was tiny. (I did meet him but I can't really remember him.) It's this sort of thing that gets the family talking to each other when they've lost touch like my mum and her cousins had.

This is great. It fair warms the cockles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Looks like they've upgraded the wi-fi in work, it reaches out to my wee shack in the car park. Now I can bestow my wisdom on you internet folks during work hours. You lucky, lucky people
You may quote me on that.

SmallBlueThing

Because, as some may remember, i quit my job a while back- after a couple of weeks off, today i have my first shift with the agency, and i already have half a week booked in. While the financial reliability of regular hours has obviously gone, the excitement of having to impress and do my job well to earn more work is beginning to kick in. In cab on way there at the moment- and actually feel as if im enjoying myself!

SBT

staticgirl

COMMANDO FORCES

Spikes

...ive unexpectedly got a day off from work tomorrow - quite fancy popping to the pictures, as ive not been for a while. Anybody know if owt decent is showing?

W. R. Logan

Quote from: Judge Jack on 06 September, 2012, 04:44:37 PM
...ive unexpectedly got a day off from work tomorrow - quite fancy popping to the pictures, as ive not been for a while. Anybody know if owt decent is showing?

You might still be able to catch 'The Raid' 8-?

GordyM

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 06 September, 2012, 05:47:44 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 06 September, 2012, 04:44:37 PM

You might still be able to catch 'The Raid' 8-?

Be careful - I've seen a trailer for a dodgy knock off that features some guy in a big helmet. Might be best playing it safe and go see the future classic that is the Total Recall remake inste- BWAH HA HA HA! Sorry, couldn't finish that sentence with a straight face.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

TordelBack

As I recall mentioning here a few months back, there was significant Regime Change in my wife's workplace at the start of the 'summer', resulting in the rapid purging of the utter dirtwads who had made her working life miserable since the time she dared to take maternity leave, and who had initiated her gradual slide from department head to underemployed photocopier resupplier, via two union-fought attempts at involuntary redundancy. 

Just three months on from all that she's run off her feet heading two departments, and filling in for her new CEO while he's off sick.  As the guilt-ridden deadbeat person whose situation meant she couldn't quit from our only source of income no matter how much she wanted to, I almost can't describe the sheer pleasure it is to see her come through the door like she did this evening, completely knackered but cheery and confident like she used to be 6 or 7 years ago. 

We're still broke thanks to my general fecklessness in all arenas, ghastly mortgage and debts left over from my failed business, and massive paycuts she herself was saddled with over the past year, but honestly none of that shite really matters when the missus has a smile on her face. 

JOE SOAP

Good for her Teebs.

Can't you sell your arse on Dame Lane?

TordelBack

JOE SOAP

TordelBack

If he's rich, isn't picky and is poorly endowed, it's a date.