Main Menu

Lawgiver ammunition types

Started by GrudgeJohnDeed, 21 June, 2018, 08:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

The grenade round is a mistake, it's supposed to be heat seeker.

It was first published in one of the specials.

Steven Denton

Quote from: Woolly on 22 June, 2018, 03:22:12 PM
Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 22 June, 2018, 01:23:51 PM
RIP grenade shot! Was that removed because of its similarity to Hi-Ex?

I would've thought a grenade round has a timer before it explodes, whereas a hi-ex explodes on contact  :think:

Not that I've ever given this any thought either, of course....

Grenade and Hi-Ex both just have Number 4 Cartridge envy. 

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 June, 2018, 03:08:01 PM
I think it might have been on the back cover of one of the Daily Star Dredd collections.

That's certainly where I have the pic - I think another collection had a similar lawmaster diagram.

I, Cosh

1. Ricochet
2. Ricochet
3. Ricochet
4. You get the idea.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

I hate that idea of one generic bullet that instantly configures itself into different types, for two reasons - first, it's batshit implausible in a handgun even by MC1 tech; and secondly it precludes those many occasions when the plot demands that Dredd has run out of a particular type  of round - I love the scene in Dredd 2012 when he cycles through his available ammo and only has one hi-ex left so he just explodes the bad judge's head. I'm sure there have been many similar examples in the comic.

The Legendary Shark

It's the other way around for me. Running out of one type of bullet suggests all six kinds are present in the magazine, so once all the standard rounds are used the magazine is still full of unused ricochets, incendiaries and what have you - which sounds both wasteful and complicated to me.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Maybe it's more like a printer (though the 'advanced' printers at work refuse to do anything, even scanning, if it runs out of one type of toner).

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

I'm with Dandontdare in this. The instant creation of ammo worked as an idea for Nikolai Dante's rifle, 600 years in the future, but I don't buy it in Judge Dredd. Also if Wagner says that Dredd can run out of one kind of ammo but not another, then that definitively rules out that idea anyway.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Perhaps something in-between could be true, the bullets' casings are empty ones that are loaded with the correct innards upon request (changing ammo setting for example, then also immediately as the next round needs loading after firing). That way you could still run out of a certain type of ammo. There also could be a sharing of resources in that situation, like all rounds draw their initial propellant from the same explosive reservoir as Hi-Ex, just in much lower doses, and incendiary could be the same explosive with an extra chemical added or air-ratio changed or something. 

sheridan

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 23 June, 2018, 10:19:39 PM
Perhaps something in-between could be true, the bullets' casings are empty ones that are loaded with the correct innards upon request (changing ammo setting for example, then also immediately as the next round needs loading after firing). That way you could still run out of a certain type of ammo. There also could be a sharing of resources in that situation, like all rounds draw their initial propellant from the same explosive reservoir as Hi-Ex, just in much lower doses, and incendiary could be the same explosive with an extra chemical added or air-ratio changed or something. 

That's what I was getting at in my last post - except I rushed it out and didn't really explain what I was thinking.  So if you print a page on a colour printer then most pages will use black toner (the base cartridge), then add whatever colours are needed from magenta, yellow and cyan.  If the printer is out of one of those colours then it can either refuse to work (even if you're scanning and not using the printer functions at all) or it can print away, but miss out whatever colours it's run out of.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Gotcha, yeah that's the system I'd back.

Funt Solo

Just for reference, the diagrams are from:

- Lawgiver Mark I - prog 34
- Lawgiver Mark I (updated) - prog 996
- Lawgiver Mark II - meg 3.50
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

GrudgeJohnDeed

ooh thanks for that, very interesting.