Main Menu

THE RACE - SHORT STORY COMP - RESULTS/PRIZEWINNERS

Started by Bad City Blue, 15 November, 2016, 04:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Hello hello hello

What all this 'ere then?

Bunch of scuzzy nobotniks up to no good as per usual.

Nothing to see here, except the winner of our Zarjaz short story comp THE RACE.

And that winner? Why, none other than serial offender Eamonn Clarke, who gets a hearty pat on the back and a scrumptious 2000AD graphic Novel from those lovely droids at Rebellion.

Well done, that droid.

As I'm in a generous mood, I think I'll award a second GN to voter TIMOTHY, beause his mum tells me he wants to be a roboplod when grows up. Smart lad!

Anyway, if the two of them could drop me a line I'll see their prizes get to them as soon as the appropriate droid can be arsed to send them.

Mind how you go now.

Bad City Boys In Blue

----------------------------------------------------

EAMONN CLARKE

Hotdog

As soon as he saw the blip on his radar he knew it was going to be touch and go. Swan was far left of a wide formation as Judge Giant led the cadets on a sweep. After clearing a nest of Dune Sharks they were hunting for survivors. They had passed a mutant convoy heading for the Coney Island township two kilometres back, and now there was an ominous green dot on the extreme edge of the bike screen that only he could see.

He turned the Lawmaster and accelerated hard.

"Swan here, sir. Fast moving signal at edge of scanner, probable Shark on the convoy's tail. Moving to intercept."

Giant's response was brief, "Roger that, Swan. Cadets, left wheel."

He stepped the bike up a gear and concentrated on the green dot. A faint ping at top of his screen indicated the rear of the mutant convoy. Thirty seconds to visual range, he transferred the radar to his visor and scanned the horizon. It was going to be damned close.

The green dot resolved into an image which his visor magnified and threw up to the top left of his HUD. Shark alright, big one, 200 kilos of flying muscle and teeth, kept aloft by a huge gas filled stomach chamber. Skin like plasteel, hi-ex could penetrate it but only if you hit soft spots. The bike had spitfire missiles to pick them off at range, he thumbed another switch and targeting confirmed what he already suspected, the shark was too close to the convoy. Any collateral damage and Giant would bust him back to the admin corps.

"Have to be the hard way. Bike, auto steer, same course."

He pulled his knife and cut through the palm of his glove. Blood flowed freely as he popped a grenade from his belt. He shook his head to clear the HUD, he could see the Shark and the convoy now, the wagons were making their way through a narrow gully with high sandy walls. No time for computers, this was going to be gut, and gut alone.

He gunned the bike to higher ground on full turbo and hit the edge at max speed. A brief glimpse of surprised faces in the last wagon and he was airborne. The grenade was slick with blood as he tossed it into the air.

"Hey, Fido. Catch!"

The shark's response was instinctive, attuned to the smallest trace of blood, it swooped away from the convoy and snatched the device from the air.

Swan's landing was rough but he held it together and the bike slewed to a halt on the far side of the gulley. Behind him there was a satisfying, muffled thump and the crash of the shark hitting the ground, its wings flapping uselessly against the sand.

Giant rode up close.

"Unconventional approach, Swan...."

"Sir"

"...but effective, now field dress that hand. Cadet Ajax, execute the creature. Snow, you've got point. Fun's over, get ready to move out, people."
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Eamonn Clarke

Woohoo! Pm sent.

Thanks as ever for organising the writing competition and keeping us wordy types going, and well done to all entrants.

Andy Lambert

Timothy

Cor, thanks, Blue. Well done to those talented writers, I will pm my details for the undeserved booty.

Echidna

Pats on the back all round (extra pats for Eamonn and BCB)

Heath C Ackley

"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Minkyboy

Nice one, I backed the winner for once!
Should have put £20 on you Eamonn.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jacqusie

Congrats Eamonn and well done to everyone else who gave it a go - I reckon short (500 words) stories are pretty hard to come up with, or it may just be my age  ;)

I will be interested to see the results of the next art comp if it's still the plan to use these set of stories.

Si

Albion

Quote from: Jacqusie on 16 November, 2016, 11:50:32 PM
I will be interested to see the results of the next art comp if it's still the plan to use these set of stories.

I hope it is, I've already drawn one.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Eamonn Clarke

Just arrived from the Nerve Centre. The Brit-Cit Noir trade which I don't own already. Zarjaz!

Anyone want to come on the podcast and review it?