Main Menu

Weekly Comics, Monthly! - Hawkmonger & my new 2000 AD related comic Podcast

Started by The Adventurer, 22 June, 2015, 03:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Broughton

I listened to the last pod cast and really enjoyed listening to you both while I was drawing. Can't wait to listen to the next one. :)

The Adventurer

Only three months late due my extreme laziness(tm)! Its the lost November Episode of Weekly Comics Monthly!

WEEKLY COMICS, MONTHLY! - Episode 06 (2000 AD Edition)

East and West collide in WEEKLY COMICS, MONTHLY! Every month hosts Jim & Zac chat about the last month's worth of two of the premier weekly serial anthology comics in the world, 2000 AD and Weekly Shonen Jump!

Lost to the mists of time (and also laziness), but now found and restored to its full glory its the Lost Episode(tm) of Weekly Comics, Monthly. Its another 2000 AD episode with Jim & Zak tackling Progs 1948 – 1952 and Judge Dredd Megazine 364. With the jumping on Prog of 1950, new and returning strips are the name of the game, with the return of Defoe, Brass Sun, Bad Company, Sinister-Dexter, and of course Judge Dredd to take us to the New Year. But before getting to the return of the new, we have some unfinished business with the conclusions of Dreams of Deadworld and The Alienist. Meanwhile in the Megazine things continue trucking along with more Demon Nic, Storm Warning, Lawless, and the conclusion of Judge Dredd – El Maldito. Plus, a look at the hidden classic of Peter Milligin's FREAKS in the reprint floppy.

-----------------------------

Sorry about the long delay, the end of last year really got on top of me and I was actively wondering if I could handle a second podcast, especially with trying to coordinate 2 episodes a month for WCM. So after recording this episode I decided to take a step back and just reevaluate. After some thinking Zak and I are going to continue the show in 2016, but we're going back to a single episode a month plan. That means 2000 AD and Weekly Shonen Jump content together again. Only this time instead of taking three and a half hours of going over a mountain of content we'll be handling things in a more streamlined fashion. The good news is we've already recorded this new version of the show covering January 2016, and the better news is it actually turned out better then I could have hoped. So look forward to Episode 7 of the new and improved Weekly Comics, Monthly very soon.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Really glad that your continuing this stuff as I love it.

I have of course been rubbish and fallen behind (well I listened to the first three then lost track.) a bout of decorating got me caught up with the Thrillcast and so today when doing some more painting (of shelves not the interesting kind) I listen to 2 of these (episodes 4 and 5) and really enjoyed them. Will check out 6 when I get time BUT if you get new stuff out I'll try to make time to keep up to date as I do enjoy it.

Keep it up fellas.

Edited to ask: Any recommendations for which app to go for to subscribe to the Podcast? There's loads and I don't Pod me Cast these days except for Thrillcast and doesn't seem Soundcloud is an option?

The Adventurer

Soundcloud charges money, so it's not really an option for us.  We're on iTunes though. Just search our name.

Colin YNWA

Oh having no problems finding it but clicked on 'subscribe for Andriod' and got a list of Podcast apps that would allow me to do this. Was just wondering if people had recommendations for which were good.

Hawkmumbler

Thanks for the kind words as always, Colin! I think you'll like the new format in Episode 7.

Hawkmumbler

I've been playing around with a few designs for a new banner for web home page, but by gum i'm not the best at digital art and creating a banner in Clip Studio isn't proving easy, but I shall percevier!

The Adventurer

Only half a month late this time... sorry about that

A year of new beginnings as WCM takes a step back to shake things up. Once again a monthly podcast covering both 2000 AD and Weekly Shonen Jump in a single monthly episode. Leaner and meaner then ever Jim and Zac take a close look at the new year premiers of Judge Dredd and Kingdom in 2000 AD Prog 1961 - 1965. While in the pages of Weekly Shonen Jump #05-09 their sights are set on the continuing adventures of My Hero Academia and Black Clover. After that WCM presents their new Lightning Round where your hosts take a moment to say a few words about everything else. All that and the Judge Dredd Megazine, with the conclusion of Demon Nic, and a recap of the last few months of Megazine reprints.

TIMESTAMPS
00:00 - Introductions
15:00 - 2000 AD News
25:00 - Judge Dredd (2000 AD)
38:33 - Kingdom (2000 AD)
50:00 - Black Clover (Weekly Shonen Jump)
01:01:00 - My Hero Academia (Weekly Shonen Jump)
01:16:11 - 2000 AD Lightning Round
01:21:57 - Weekly Shonen Jump Lightning Round
01:35:05 - Judge Dredd Megazine (2000 AD)

WEEKLY COMICS, MONTHLY - EPISODE 07

Colin YNWA

Caught up with this while doing more painting this afternoon and really enjoyed the new format. Kinda. It makes it easier to get through but I miss the miandering freedom of the old longer format. Completely understand from your perspective the need to tighten things however.

Do miss you chating about general comics at the end though.

Still great fun nattering from two of my favourite forumites. Hope you are able to keep it up.

Hawkmumbler

Thanks Colin, out of interest do you listen to both segments of the podcast or just the tooth stuff? I know your not a Jump reader but I've spoken to a few  listeners who do read the WSJ but not 2000AD, and listen to both parts anyway.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I listen to both in the condensed one - in the full one with the SJW week I'd skip around a bit to the general comics jibber jabber. This new format I happily listened to the SJW (or should that be WSJ?) stuff as its was engaging from a general comics interest point of view,

Hawkmumbler

WSJ, Colin. SJW (social justice warrior) is something else entirely. :lol:

Thats nice to know, on the last recorded episode me and Adventurer managed to get a bit of time to talk about other comics so I think episode 7 was just a way of testing the new format, which I still think holds up well. Yeah, it was sure nice to talk about things at a slower pace but I don't think ut's particularly fair for Jim seeing as we record at, like, midday over on his side wherest't it's ussualy pretty late for me. But that just means when we get to put the spotlight on specific series it give's us a greater backlog of stuff to talk about, which is pretty useful (I mean, I could talk about certain series all day but thats what the NCBD mega thread is for!).

sheridan

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 February, 2016, 04:23:42 PM
Edited to ask: Any recommendations for which app to go for to subscribe to the Podcast? There's loads and I don't Pod me Cast these days except for Thrillcast and doesn't seem Soundcloud is an option?
I don't know what it's like in Windows and Mac land (well, presumably iTunes in the latter) but over here in the Linux wilds I use Rhythmbox and Banshee (general audio players which also play audio files and radio).

Hawkmumbler

Sat here editing my first episode and remarkably enjoying the experience. It's dawned on me that because of the firing progress I need not worry about long pauses or cutting to resources when you forget a characters name. Listening to other podcasts gave me the impression I was a massive blunder head who felt the need to cram every moment with speech!

Also, it just occurred to me that if anyone wanted any questions answering on the show, besides the helpful email Adventurer kindly set up you can also just tweet me!

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 11 March, 2016, 10:17:04 PM
over here in the Linux wilds I use Rhythmbox and Banshee (general audio players which also play audio files and radio).
That was supposed to be general audio players which also play podcasts and radio.