Main Menu

Cinebooks

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 January, 2012, 09:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Yeah Red Baron is very good.

Timothy

I picked up the first two volumes of Alone over the weekend. Really good comics of a kind that transcend generations. On a simple level they're clearly boys-own childrens comics, but they are beautifully drawn, the characters have some complexity and the story, although simple, is very moving. Thoroughly recommended, and I think volume 3 is imminent.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 March, 2015, 07:24:43 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 March, 2015, 07:00:07 AM
Still not read Green Manor, is it good - well I assume youi reckon so! Looks like he's done something with Sean Philips - interested to see that...

Green Manor is great fun - essentially a series of locked-room-type murder mysteries/Victorian-era Future Shocks. So no recurring characters, no ongoing plot of any kind, but a lot of twist-in-the-tale vignettes.

The third book has been 'awaiting' translation since 2008, though, so I'm not holding my breath for that one.

I know. I'm hoping they will since Vehlmann is a big name thanks to Beautiful Darkness making a lot of best-of lists for 2014. The last volume of Insiders was released in 2010 and that is getting a new volume in October...

Hawkmumbler

New folk to Cinebooks should check out SPOOKS, a really enjoyable supernatural western series with some damn nice watercolour art work.

A second vote for LEO's Worlds of Aldebaran series. Some of the best sci-fi in comics i've ever read. Very, very good indeed with a strong eye towards world building. You really do feel like the hostile planets are alive.

Colin YNWA

Recently got Green Manor from Bolt and have to say its quite fantastic. A series of short murder myterious which all have a lovely upper class victorian villiany throughout. The art is simply fantastic too. Can't wait to get hold of the second volume.

On a none Cinebook note I also read Swords of Rome, a series from iBooks (a publisher I don't know other than this) this series didn't take off this time but its perfect, PERFECT Cinebook fodder, so would love them to take up the mantle. Based on the rise of Nero a period of history I'm particularly fund of brilliantly realised.

Hawkmumbler

Just this second finished all 5 books in the Kenya series by LEO and Rodolphe. By christ that LEO is fast becoming one of my favourite names in comics, crafting another superb sci-fi comic. Also, one of my all time favourite extinct perissodactyles, Indricotherium plays a key role! I'm such a nerd for finding joy in this but you can tell LEO knows his stuff, a big reason why I praised Aldebaran so much was the functionallity of the flora and fauna, and he applies this equally well with real life extinct mega herbivores.

Tombo

I mentioned it over in the "comics for 2016" thread and I'll repeat it here - Vol.1 of Namibia and Vol.3 of Survivors are both due on the 3rd of March 2016.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 24 April, 2015, 09:25:00 AM
New folk to Cinebooks should check out SPOOKS, a really enjoyable supernatural western series with some damn nice watercolour art work.

A second vote for LEO's Worlds of Aldebaran series. Some of the best sci-fi in comics i've ever read. Very, very good indeed with a strong eye towards world building. You really do feel like the hostile planets are alive.

Was reading your comments as LEGO's Worlds of Aldebaran[/url] and knowing that last word from Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Aldebaran's great, okay, / Algol's pretty neat, / Betelgeuse's pretty girls / Will knock you off your feet. / They'll do anything you like / Real fast and then real slow, ...

Hawkmumbler

Just got a tidy little package containing Spooks #5, Lost Moores #3 and Antares #6. Thats tonights reading sorted!

Colin YNWA

Wow has it really been 5 years since we played here... next someone will be saying something daft like its been 8 years since 'Day of Chaos' or other such tomfoolery.

Anyway we're neglected the wonders of Cinebooks for too long (I know the 's' shouldn't be there but I hate that its not!). Anyway  was thinking about what to get the boy child in these times of isolation and remembered some of the Cinebooks that I've never picked up, aimed at kids and we looked through the catalogue and he liked the look of Lucky Luke (very pleased about that myself!), Yakari and Marsupilami so contacted them checked they were still able to deliver and they are, so ordered a couple of each for him to try out.

Of course so he didn't feel bad about me buying all that stuff for him, kind Dad that I am I order the next bunch of various series for myself and a few new one's to try.

ANYWAY point is at times like this I ordered a LOAD of albums from them and sat back and expected to wait a while for them to come. BUT no - just two days, count um TWO DAYS after the order went in books land and boy do they look wonderful. Along with a few volumes of regulars - including 'Return Aldebaran book1' WAYHEY I'm giving Islandia, Bear's Tooth and The Route 66 List a go.

But really the thing I wanted to say is WOW what service, what wonderful service. At times like this delivery faster than Amazon - very pleased I went straight to them. In another thread we're discussing the fate of the comics market in these times and how it will look when we're all plagued out and assuming, as looks likely now, the bloody zombies never bother to show up. And this has reminded me, if the US market collapses (it won't, but IF) I'd be very sorry for the wonderful creators, I'd miss certain characters and ideas. I'd be very sad that some stories never finished - mind that often happens anyway BUT we'll not be short of actual comics to read as there's a whole world of stuff out there and from a selfish point of view a move away from the US market would do me the world of good and drive me to these beauties on a more regular basis. And that friends would be no bad thing.

SO if you are looking around for things to read and have drunk fully at the well of Tharg AND have your Phoenix subscription in place and a healthy selection of their back catalogue ordered, the next place to go (or even the first if you so fancy) is Cinebook as there is an absolute wealth of simply wonderful material to be had there.

Timothy

I would strongly recommend The Mermaid Project too.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Timothy on 09 April, 2020, 09:36:43 AM
I would strongly recommend The Mermaid Project too.

This is what I mean there's so much good stuff there and stuff to get to... sometimes I wonder why I still play with American comics...

Hawkmumbler

Bringing my collection out of storage for the move post lockdown has made me realize how many Cinebook series i've got but need to actually read. Antares, Namibia, Lament of the Lost Moores, and the 4th Spooks book. Happy weeks reading ahead.

I highly doubt Thought Bubble will be happening this year which make me sad, it's  been a good three years or so since I checked out the Cinebook stand, shame on me.

Bolt-01

Hawk, don't think that way. November is a long way off. I'm hopeful for Thought Bubble 2020.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 13 April, 2020, 04:33:24 PM
Hawk, don't think that way. November is a long way off. I'm hopeful for Thought Bubble 2020.

It's not so much to length of time on it's own, where it so i'd be certain it was still a-go. It's Harrogate Convention Complex being used as a Nightingale Hospital. Though not confirmed yet it seems to be mostly agreed none of the MCM complexes will be hosting comic cons this year because of...well, the whole morgue aspect, being deeply upsetting and  concerning for both organizers and attendees.

A bit macabre and pessimistic maybe, and I truly want nothing more right now than to know be in the pub come November, nattering over some zines and comics. But man, 2020 is putting everyone through the ringer.

Anyhow, just read Spooks Book 4 and it's brilliant, so Books 5 and 6 will be on my shopping list! Ah hah!