Main Menu

Netflix buys Millarworld

Started by Smith, 07 August, 2017, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

http://forums.millarworld.tv/t/biggest-news-ever-netflix-buys-millarworld/10356
So yeah,that happened.Im not sure if there is anything left that hasnt been adapted/optioned as a movie,however.
(I apologize if this is the wrong forum,moderators can feel free to move it)

CalHab

One step closer to the Red Razors adaptation everyone has been clamouring for.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

This is.... news.

I hope that Millar enjoys the fortune he's managed to obtain, and that Netflix learns quickly from this terrible mistake.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 07 August, 2017, 05:39:57 PM
I hope that Millar enjoys the fortune he's managed to obtain, and that Netflix learns quickly from this terrible mistake.

I dunno man, Millar may not be my cup of scripting, but aside from his direct Hollywood successes, there's a good argument don't that the whole MCU stems from his Ultimates work. Might not be such a crazy idea for Netflix to give him a spin.

JLC

Not read any of his stuff other than 2000AD. Any good?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JLC on 07 August, 2017, 05:53:37 PM

I thought all his creator-owned stuff for Marvel's Icon imprint was horrible. Cheap, mean-spirited, cynical and nasty. For some reason, the recent(ish) move to Image seems to have improved his output immeasurably. It's pretty much disposable, IMO, but far less unpleasant to read! I enjoyed both Huck and Empress quite a lot, to my considerable surprise.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Smith

His DC stuff,very.His Marvel stuff not so much.Solo,Millarworld stuff really varies.All over the place.

Greg M.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 August, 2017, 06:02:32 PM
For some reason, the recent(ish) move to Image seems to have improved his output immeasurably. It's pretty much disposable, IMO, but far less unpleasant to read!

I've long thought that if Millar could lose the both desire to shock and the fundamentally spiteful streak that taints much of his writing, he'd be a fine writer. It's good to hear he may be doing just that. He's always been a crowd-pleaser, with a very sharp insight into what a mass audience enjoys, combined with the ability to give them what they want in a proficient, exciting manner - I just wish he didn't cater so often to their baser instincts.

Greg M.

Quote from: Greg M. on 07 August, 2017, 06:08:37 PM
For some reason, the recent(ish) move to Image seems to have improved his output immeasurably. It's pretty much disposable, IMO, but far less unpleasant to read!

I've long thought that if Millar could lose the both desire to shock and the fundamentally spiteful streak that taints much of his work, he'd be a fine writer. It's good to hear he may be doing just that. He's always been a crowd-pleaser, with a very sharp insight into what a mass audience enjoys, combined with the ability to give them what they want in a proficient, exciting manner - I just wish he didn't cater so often to their baser instincts.

JLC

Quote from: Smith on 07 August, 2017, 06:03:50 PM
His DC stuff,very.His Marvel stuff not so much.Solo,Millarworld stuff really varies.All over the place.
Thanks. I don't read DC or Marvel, but see that a lot of his other stuff is under Image Comics who I like. Will check some of it out.

Frank

QuoteMr Millar said it was only the third time in history that a company book company purchase on this scale had happened, with Warner Bros buying DC Comics in 1968, and Disney buying Marvel in 2009

Bitch, please. Rebellion buying Whizzer & Chips was a bigger deal.*

* ...and IPC to Mirror Group was definitely an even bigger deal than the lucrative Wanted franchise changing hands

Proudhuff

I thought all his creator-owned stuff for Marvel's Icon imprint was horrible. Cheap, mean-spirited, cynical and nasty.

Aren't you confusing him with his brother Frank?
DDT did a job on me

Smith

Knowing Netflix,they probably decided Unfunnies would be a great adition to their animated lineup.Still,cant be worst then their Castlevania.

dweezil2

I loved The Ultimates titles he worked on and I can't stand superhero comics, if that's a recommendation.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JLC

Quote from: Smith on 07 August, 2017, 06:50:31 PM
Knowing Netflix,they probably decided Unfunnies would be a great adition to their animated lineup.Still,cant be worst then their Castlevania.
I watched the first episode *shudder*