Main Menu

Hivemind help - Dinosaur transfers?

Started by Ancient Otter, 27 October, 2011, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Otter

Please help me Hivemind! When I was a kid, there were dry transfers available that came with sweets (I think). The transfers were cavemen fighting different dinosaurs, they were pretty gory too. Anyone remember these?

Greg M.

Yeah, I remember them. Can't tell you what they were, but can confirm they existed - I also recall them being pretty violent, with gouts of blood, and pteranodons carrying hapless cavemen off.

M.I.K.

I only remember them now that you've mentioned them.

Devons Daddy

My grandparents owned a real sweetshop. not books or comics,newspapers or anything just sweets.

I had loads of those transfers, as they would be given a ton of such items,by the sales guys.
there where many types, cavemen, spacemen, cowboys and indians. pirates. they roughly followed movies of the time, land that time forgot, or the moonraker for an example, not a direct tie in, more of a riding on coat-tails sort of thing.
they did exist that I can confirm.

you rubbed the transfer onto the printed background with a pencil or blunt stick.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Devons Daddy

I wish to add
I saw the title, and was intrigued,  had images of big lorries and tazers in my head.
I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Mangamax

This all screams Letraset to me, but can't seem to find what you're describing, so guess not

http://action-transfers.com/
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

I, Cosh

I don't remember them coming with sweets but I did have various versions of the stuff DD mentioned where you got a fold out background image on card and made up a daft scene with the transfers.
We never really die.

Mangamax

The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Greg M.

Man, those Space Adventures: White Squadron ones really take me back... they've even got a robot called GRUD...

Edit: Ah, a quick look around the site Mangamax linked to, and I think I've found the ones Martin Costello was thinking of. '1000BC The Savage Age Rub-Down Action Transfers, 1982.' Sold in 'confectionary style' packets.

vzzbux

Fuck me that is a trip down memory lane. Used to love these.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Devons Daddy

I am  sure there is market out there for these things again.

you stick umm out in early November and get some publicity they would find their way into every male christmas stocking for the 25th! we would all want them, and likely put them in every childs we prepare for. and HELP them on christmas day.

if you really lucky of course, your partner would put a set of these in the christmas stocking and her leg in a black one, but thats not the point.  :D
I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Ancient Otter

Thanks for the help everyone. There's no picture on that Action transfers website* but it looks like they the ones Greg M. mentioned.

*Which is a great website, check out the Sweeney and Kojak transfer sets. The website creators also state they have plans to rerelease some of the Panorama sets soon. Maybe they should make a Judge Dredd Block War set.

Pete Wells

I frigging LOVED these! BUT, how devastating was it when you scribbled too much and got half of another transfer on your picture??? I still remember my Star Wars one with half of Princess Leia at 45 degrees in the Tattooine sky - sob!

Dandontdare

ah, but I remember discovering that with care you didn't need to apply the whole transfer - i had a generic space one once and had hours of fun creating 6-armed spacemen and astronauts with alien heads by mixing two transfers!

Colin YNWA

There were also some fantastic Dave Gibbons (I think it was) drawn dry transfers in the first couple (I think it was) issues of Doctor Who Weekly back in the day. One of those included cave men fighting dinosaurs.