Main Menu

First prog you ever read?

Started by Smith, 27 January, 2017, 07:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Yes and now.Lets say it was rebooted and leave it at that.

Rara Avis

I have just seen another thread entirely devoted to this issue, I'll be sure to catch up over there.
Thanks everyone.

Steamrunner

My first prog was actually Prog 2, but I managed to rewind to Prog 1, and I've been here ever since.

Like many early readers, I've survived the rite of passage known as "mum threw them out"; it was about 140 progs. In fact, I replaced many of those 140 with the actual same copies — mum gave them to a school fete and I bought back as many as I could afford at the time. It took me until somewhere in the 1990s to get the vast majority of them all replaced, but getting a replacement Prog 1 took until 2014. I am finally whole again.

MetroidHatchling

I always wanted to read Dredd when I was younger (my brother and dad really loved the Stallone film which is what sparked my interest) but as a kid in the 90s in the US I couldn't really find much Dredd around, so finally about 2 years ago I heard about the case files and ordered the first one of those and have been working my way through from there. So that's my first. The only unfortunate thing about it is I suppose I miss out on all the other series that were released alongside it like Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog and ABC Warriors (all things I want to read eventually as well) but as there is soooo much Dredd to catch up on, it's probably best I stay focused.

Loving it all. Ordered my next batch of books and I can't wait to read some more.

Richard

Glad you like them. FYI, "The Dead Man" comes between case files 13 and 14.

The Corinthian

Prog 207, with 'Tharg and the Creep Who Stole Croydon'. My dad bought me a copy (I was 7), presumably because we were in Croydon at the time. A couple of months later he bought me Prog 214 as well, which was my first exposure to Alan Moore.

I remember finding Judge Dredd freakishly weird and didn't get what the "Judge" part of it entailed at all. It was only with my next Prog - the 1982 Sci-Fi Special - that it finally clicked.

Richard

Freakishly weird is a good thing.

The Corinthian

True, but I had no idea what it was about. When I became a regular reader, during the final act of 'The Apocalypse War', it took me ages to work out that Mega-City One and East-Meg One were different places.

Which was pretty confusing.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 02 February, 2017, 04:00:10 PM
The original Stix's obituary in the 'In the Doghouse' feature in the 1983 2000AD Annual notes that he has two brothers, who turn up in Outlaw.  Their father, Silas Stix, turns up in Stone Killers (he has a picture of three Stixes on his wall).  Another pair of Stixes (both of whom have first names, but I can't remember them off hand) appear in Durham Red: Deals and Night of the Hunter.  There's also a Gronk text story in one of the yearbooks, where it's revealed that there's actually a whole clan of them.

Well, stix Stixes are stixty-stix.

Do we know what the Stix brothers mutation is? (Big lips and an ability to clone themselves?)  The SD novel "Ruthless" says they have super strength.  Is that mentioned anywhere else?

Back on topic, it was my brother's responsibility to collect the prog (we has divvied up the available comics between the two of us, as far as our pocket money would allow).  His first prog was the one with a Ron Smith Dredd toting a Lawgiver in each hand (double mags, naturally) superimposed over a drawing of a galaxy.  It was 139 or 167 or something like that. The first prog I bought myself would have been one of the more recent Christmas progs.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dash Decent on 02 March, 2017, 03:10:07 AM
Do we know what the Stix brothers mutation is? (Big lips and an ability to clone themselves?)  The SD novel "Ruthless" says they have super strength.  Is that mentioned anywhere else?

Doesn't one of the original Stix-es climb up a building by driving his hands into the wall?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Yep, when they travel to the future before the arrival of Custer's Comet in the Schicklgruber grab.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 March, 2017, 07:30:43 AM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 02 March, 2017, 03:10:07 AM

Doesn't one of the original Stix-es climb up a building by driving his hands into the wall?
I have a vague recollection of "tough skin" being their mutation but have no idea if that's from the comic ro a previous thread on here.
We never really die.

BMCCOLL

My first prog was #1, with the spacespinner stuck to the front with a strip of sellotap nearly tearing the cover in half! I got every other one up to around year 1983 with the exception of prog 3. I hunted high and low for this at the time but it was sold out everywhere... that Red Alert Survival Wallet must have been mightily sought after!

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 27 January, 2017, 11:52:55 PM
I was given a batch of seven or eight progs by my next-door neighbour, the earliest of which was 308 and the latest of which was 326 or so.  That last couldn't have been out for long as the first one I actually bought was 330 (last episode of Skizz and the Slaying of Slade, and the first of Slaine).

Just to revive this a bit - partially because Space Spinner 2000 is catching up to the era when I started reading...

As above, the first one I bought was 330, though for some reason I think I only got one prog after that until 335.  It was a bit patchy up to 350 (took me years to find out what happened in the last episode of Nemesis Book III, which appeared behind 349's Torque-lishous cover), and I've been on-board every week since then.

sheridan

Quote from: BMCCOLL on 04 March, 2018, 08:07:41 PM
My first prog was #1, with the spacespinner stuck to the front with a strip of sellotap nearly tearing the cover in half! I got every other one up to around year 1983 with the exception of prog 3. I hunted high and low for this at the time but it was sold out everywhere... that Red Alert Survival Wallet must have been mightily sought after!

Every other one?  You bought on alternate weeks, or you bought every week up to 1983?  If you paused reading in 1983 then you picked the worst time to stop!