Main Menu

Instocktrades.com — anyone used them?

Started by IndigoPrime, 09 June, 2020, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

There are a few books unavailable in the UK that https://www.instocktrades.com/ have in stock, and I was thinking of grabbing some. Has anyone here used them? I'm wondering whether their FedEx options are tracked and insured. (The higher tiers of shipping are prohibitive!)

Tomwe

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 June, 2020, 08:26:55 AM
There are a few books unavailable in the UK that https://www.instocktrades.com/ have in stock, and I was thinking of grabbing some. Has anyone here used them? I'm wondering whether their FedEx options are tracked and insured. (The higher tiers of shipping are prohibitive!)
In Stock Trades are part of one of the two businesses now distributing DC comics (instead of Diamond). They have a very good reputation for packaging if that helps!

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/lunar-continues-to-show-diamond-how-distribution-can-be-done/

IndigoPrime

Thanks. And, yep, I've heard good things about packaging. My concern is more about what happens if there's loss or damage. I have emailed them as well, because their website's FAQ appears to omit talking about the majority of postage options listed. (I would _assume_ FedEx would have some kind of claims system for these things; but I don't know if they insure to the full parcel value bt default. Mind you, they'd be pretty stupid not to.)

As for those photos, I'd quite like to show them to eBayers who still send out HCs with barely any packaging. Gnh. (Hachette makes some of them look good.)

Tomwe

You must let us know how you get on if you do go ahead. They sponsor/ did sponsor so many comics podcasts that I've listened to over the last 10 years or so. I mainly hear Brion Salazar's (around comics) voice in my head reading the ads!

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 June, 2020, 01:16:07 PM
Thanks. And, yep, I've heard good things about packaging. My concern is more about what happens if there's loss or damage.

I have to be honest, most of the sellers I've used from the states have been fine although admittedly issues have been few / far between.

Then again, when it comes to GN's I've tended to go for 2nd hand so there has been an element of wear even before the postal system got their hands on them.

Maybe take a punt on a simple order to test the water?

IndigoPrime

Following up, I had a to-and-fro with their customer services team, who confirmed FedEx options come with full tracking and insurance. So I ordered four Image HCs that are unavailable until the UK, and even with the shipping costs taken into account wouldn't end up costing me extra. (I also finally grabbed Mr Higgins Comes Home, which is usually £10–15 in the UK but currently $9 there, and weighs bigger all, and so doesn't increase the shipping costs.)

I can't imagine I'll use them much. I prefer Hive/Reed/etc. But as a one-off, here's hoping it all works.

IndigoPrime

If anyone's interested in this, I made a quick video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-_RgUjoOus

The order took seven days from placement to it showing up at my door via FedEx. The box was full of packaging around the books on every side. The volumes I ordered are in mint condition.

I wouldn't typically order from them, on the basis that the massive discounts are offset by hefty shipping. But in this case, Black Science was looking like going OOP again, and the prices including shipping were still way less than Amazon. (Hive/Speedyhen would have been a bit cheaper overall, but neither have any stock at the moment.)

Tomwe

Thank you for that! Those books look amazing. I rarely need something the next day so a seven day wait is pretty good. If I'm struggling to find a book in the UK I'll defo consider them.

IndigoPrime

If you do use them at some point, do NOT select the default postage option, which is—or at least was for me—USPS. That is more expensive than FedEx and not insured/trackable. And, yeah, I'm looking forward to digging into these books. My Image collection has somewhat mushroomed of late, due to these lovely HC volumes.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 July, 2020, 11:17:54 AM
If anyone's interested in this, I made a quick video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-_RgUjoOus

The order took seven days from placement to it showing up at my door via FedEx. The box was full of packaging around the books on every side. The volumes I ordered are in mint condition.

I wouldn't typically order from them, on the basis that the massive discounts are offset by hefty shipping. But in this case, Black Science was looking like going OOP again, and the prices including shipping were still way less than Amazon. (Hive/Speedyhen would have been a bit cheaper overall, but neither have any stock at the moment.)

Those Black Science volumes look lovely - absolutely fantastic. I might check these out as they do give some healthy discounts from a quick search and its very possible that could off set postage.

Thanks for sharing.

IndigoPrime

My order was Black Science + Low + Mr Higgins. Omitting the last of those at seven quid, the others ended up costing me 34 quid each. You can in theory get cheaper prices in the UK, but only if stock exists. Amazon hovers around the 40–43 quid mark for them, and Low isn't discounted there. (Reed has it for £35, which is a good deal, but they don't have Black Science, so...)

Notable that mine were cheaper than this second-hand eBay lot—and are in much better condition, too, despite a journey across the pond.

Looking at the site now, if you were to order all three Black Science volumes, that'd cost $127.93 = £103.42. The postage is hefty (a third of that overall price!), but the overall outlay is good, and the packaging is excellent.

Tomwe

I used to read a huge amount of Image titles in digital - most of Remender's output for sure. Always hard to justify double dipping on a long running series, but the quality of the books looks the biz.

IndigoPrime

I'm attempting to go for complete runs, or series that have a good chance of continuing. Black Science is the entire thing. Low's more of a punt, but these volumes have good resale value (unlike paperbacks). I do wish Lazarus would come round more quickly though...