Main Menu

Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

I liked it better than the originals, but not as much as the prequels.

-PJ

Goaty

Ahhh... this is interesting theory that someone post it online. but warning it very very very spoiler for trilogy, if in case.

[spoiler]You been warned...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]What if Kylo Ren turn to dark side is part of planning to destroy the Sith and restore the balance? [/spoiler]

TordelBack

Quote from: Goaty on 22 December, 2015, 09:16:06 PM
Ahhh... this is interesting theory that someone post it online. but warning it very very very spoiler for trilogy, if in case.

[spoiler]You been warned...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]What if Kylo Ren turn to dark side is part of planning to destroy the Sith and restore the balance? [/spoiler]

Well they've plundered every other idea from the EU, why not that one too!  ;)

radiator

I prefer the theory that [spoiler]Rey is the son of Luke and Leia, and that's why Luke is in hiding.[/spoiler]

SIP

TordelBack

She's a clone of Palpatine, obviously. Note the eeeevil accent.

SIP

Well, I've seen this twice now.  The first viewing was with the hard core elite (my two brothers). We were there for the original films on the cinema and are lifelong star wars fans.....and the concensus on the first viewing was one of disappointment.  Much like TB I couldn't really enjoy it for many reasons.  The second viewing was more pleasurable (expectations lowered,  prepared for the bit I dreaded from the early rumours). I saw it with my 7 year old son (I'm desperate to get him interested but alas pokemon is his first love ) and it was more fun.  I will go for a third time over Christmas,  this time dragging my wife and daughter along too.

My current verdict is that is fun but,  and I'm surprised to say it,  I would have liked to see what direction George wanted to go in.  I love daisy ridley and the other new cast members.....but was disappointed in the lacklustre Hamill showing (the only original cast member I wanted to see back).

Thought the whole thing was a bit light and hollow, maybe I'll change my opinion over time.  Would be very interested to see all of the bits that they cut out.

Hawkmumbler

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

ThryllSeekyr

Planning to see the film soon......and my toilet break during [spoiler]Hans death scene.[/spoiler]

Krakajac

"once your expectations are out of the way, it's easier to look past the stuff that's not floating your boat"

Good advice, blackmocco.  I attended a second viewing today (just on my lonesome) and enjoyed it more the second time around.  I found the plot/dialogue flowed more smoothly.  Even a certain character's death made a lot more sense.

It has its flaws - but so did ROTJ.

SW is in a good place now.  Very keen to see what Episode 8 brings us.

TordelBack

As a hardcore Lucas loyalist, I do find much to chew over in reactions to this film. At one level it's obvious that the leaden dialogue and unlikeable characters are not missed one jot, the humour is more balanced, and some of the action more engaging.  The rhetoric of the pre-publicity with its 'real deserts' revisionism (where do they think the Tatooine scenes from the Prequels were filmed?) annoys me even more now, when the extent of not-always-great CGI in this film is considered, and if I'm honest, the too-chunky design of the 'real' stormtroopers isn't as good as that of the CGI clones.

At the same time something is missing, maybe an eye for selecting simple evocative designs (are there any cool new spaceships in this film, other tha Ren's rather derivative shuttle?), and a certain mythic sweep that we (I) had been taking for granted... A 'larger universe' perhaps.   I'd love to have seen Abrams and Kasdan work their considerable magic on a Lucas storyline in a Lucas world, and I suspect we'll be reflecting more on George's strengths (and notbjust his weaknesses) as time goes on.

Spikes

Rey was very good. Ren was as well. Snoke whetted the appetite - interested to see more of that chap. And....err....  mmmmm....

Well, better than the prequels...

James Stacey

Quote from: Tordelback on 23 December, 2015, 09:48:04 AM
At the same time something is missing, maybe an eye for selecting simple evocative designs (are there any cool new spaceships in this film, other tha Ren's rather derivative shuttle?),
Not sure that's true, there is Reys Speeder, the new snowspeeder, troop carriers and a very cool new star destroyer design. Even the most minor ships in the original trilogy are so familiar having been merchandised for 30 years you instantly recognize even the fleeting glimpse you get of some of them on screen. Simple evocotive designs were done well in the prequels .. didnt stop them being gash :)

Krakajac

"are there any cool new spaceships in this film?"

I think you're partly right, TB.  When the resistance ships attack the Starkiller Base at the end of the movie, it would have been nice to see something completely fresh - in addition to the updated X-Wings.

Also, Han's smuggling ship - the one he uses to swallow the Falcon - could have been a bit more inspiring.