Main Menu

In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream...

Started by JOE SOAP, 19 February, 2015, 12:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

I become progressively less excited by this movie, the more I hear about it.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

As a big fan of the first two movies who doesn't really like 3 and 4 at all (bar some of the visual elements) is sounding promising to me. I really hope they get Michael biehn on board.

wedgeski

I'm a big fan of the original Engineers script, which is a better and more complete film that what we got but does, admittedly, slip into Aliens territory in the last third.

I would've been okay with that, mind you, but I can see how Ridley Scott, who has certainly made it clear he didn't want to make "just" another Alien film, started looking for a rewrite. It's just a pity that most of the characters suffered so badly in the process.

JamesC

I like Michael Biehn as much as the next man but his story has been told. Same with Ripley. I can see some merit in following an older Newt though.

Does anyone know what happens to the Aliens once they've killed everyone and consumed whatever resources they need to survive. Do they just die or go into stasis or something? Maybe they're engineered to consume everything as soon as possible and then die off (probably makes sense if they're a bio-weapon).

Hawkmumbler

I might have to dig out my DH Omnibuses to verify this but I do seem to remember in one of the early comics (make of this what you will then) but when an adult 'soldier' Xeno has served it's supposed to keel over and allows itself to be eaten by the stronger individuals of the clan.

Keef Monkey

Speaking of comics, did anyone else read the Dark Horse series recently, Fire and Stone? It was a handful of series (Aliens, Aliens vs Predator, Predator, Prometheus) that all interlinked and told one big story. The release schedule was a real mess so reading them as they came out made no sense whatsoever, but after waiting for them all to come out (and getting the 'correct' reading order from the internet) I read through them all yesterday and quite enjoyed it, even if it was all a bit mad at times.

Dandontdare

Quote from: radiator on 24 February, 2015, 04:32:56 PM
I just can't see Prometheus 2 ever happening. For one thing, i dont think there's a viable audience given how many were burned by the terrible first film.

People went to see Star Wars episodes II & III despite being burned by Phantom menace. Go figure.

Spikes

Quote from: JamesC on 26 February, 2015, 10:39:13 AM
Does anyone know what happens to the Aliens once they've killed everyone and consumed whatever resources they need to survive. Do they just die or go into stasis or something? Maybe they're engineered to consume everything as soon as possible and then die off (probably makes sense if they're a bio-weapon).

One of the original ideas from the first film, was that any victim, and in fact the adult Alien xenomorph itself - once its job was done, was to turn into a Face-hugger carrying egg.
This idea was partially re-instated for the Directors cut of Alien - the scene were Ripley finds Dallas, and Brett cocooned , and both are at different stages of 'transformation'.
Un-filmed, but part of the original concept, was that the adult xenomorph  - presumabley believing its job was done, had gone onto the shuttlecraft Narcissus to 'bed down' and revert to an egg. Ripley upon finding it had to force it to come after her, so she could blow it out of the hatch. So from the egg, to the adult, and then back to the egg again.

I must admit, I quite like that concept. It has a pleasing, and a bizarre, symmetry to it.
And one worthy of being called 'alien'.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 February, 2015, 04:08:20 PM
Quote from: radiator on 24 February, 2015, 04:32:56 PM
I just can't see Prometheus 2 ever happening. For one thing, i dont think there's a viable audience given how many were burned by the terrible first film.

People went to see Star Wars episodes II & III despite being burned by Phantom menace. Go figure.

' What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?'

Goaty

JPMaybe

I quite like 3, especially for reinstating some of the psychosexual undetones that Aliens lacked, but I also like the fan theory that it's Ripley' s cryosleep nightmare, explaining the plot holes, e.g. where did the (either unexplained "super" or more than one) facehugger come from?
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Rog69

Now we just need Prometheus 2 to explain how the Aliens travel back in time to appear in the AVP films and the series continuity is all good again.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Rog69 on 26 February, 2015, 09:24:23 PM
Now we just need Prometheus 2 to explain how the Aliens travel back in time to appear in the AVP films and the series continuity is all good again.
I am willing to believe a great many things in the AVP verse are canon. Thise movies aren't one of them.

blackmocco

Really, we're only talking about erasing Alien 3, right? Resurrection's set way in the future from 3 so it still stands as possible. Also, while I have a soft spot for 3, if the actual makers of the movie don't care much for it - Fincher notoriously won't ever even discuss his experiences directing it - then it's fair game to paint over it. IMHO, of course.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

ZenArcade

JP the whole plot thread with the Alien Species is that they are a super efficient predator. Now a lot of people would infer from this that this is because they are intrinsically stronger and more robust than anything we could envisage . This is I feel not sufficiently a rigorous enough a determinant view on what a true 'ultimate' predator would be. The over compensation against and negation of alternate outcomes would be hardwired as a survival instinct. When the Queen entered the Sulaco the first thing which would have happened as a basal fact would have been the laying of a sequence of eggs. The species wins upon reproduction over fight. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead