Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 25 April, 2016, 01:06:51 PM
Quote from: The monarch on 25 April, 2016, 12:40:43 PMWhat else is in childhoods end aside from the obvious?

Running order is:

Reasons to be Cheerful
The Witch? Report
Childhood's End
Voyage of the Seeker
Postcards from the Edge
Postcard to Myself

Cover Gallery (Meg 2.14, 2.51 and 2.73)
Growing Pains (text piece on Anderson's "adolescence" as Grant developed the character from "Engram" through "Childhood's End" and "Postcards..." to Anderson's return to the big Meg)

I'd forgotten quite how much I had disliked Steve Sampson's art (play spot-the-Loaded-pinup at home, folks!) but it was lovely to revisit Kev Walker's run on Anderson, and Tony Luke's episodes of "Postcards..." are interesting - not entirely to my taste, but unique and phantasmagoric, and it's a shame Luke didn't live to see them get another outing.

I've only been tempted by the irresistible Necropolis and Koburn collections so far this year, but I think that's another dead cert for a cherry pick.
That run of Anderson stories was perhaps the last time I truly enjoyed the character.
Some fantastic artwork to boot.

IndigoPrime

The only thing I find a pity with the Anderson books is that the flow of her journey's been split. One of the finest Anderson moments for me is actually one of Dredd's, when he [spoiler]apologies at the end of Satan for, essentially, being a massive shit to Anderson when she returned, saying their perceived friendship was his tolerance for her defective personality. "I was wrong. I apologise." One of Grant's best. The impact isn't so strong when the strips are read out of order[/spoiler].

In a more general sense, it's interesting how these books are building up into a broadly coherent collection of Dreddworld. Odd to see so many black and white strips at the back of the Missionary Man stuff though. (Hey, those are great strips and all, but they feel a bit "How do we fill the rest of this book?" Mind you, that beats the Marvel collection, which didn't bother, resulting in some weirdly skinny volumes.)

Trent

Kids these days, if it's not in colour they're not interested. 😉

IndigoPrime

Ha! Well, I'mm all for black and white, and also classic strips. They just feel tacked on in this particular book. (Also, I'm so going to have to make myself an index on Lulu or something when this is all done, just to be able to find everything.)

IndigoPrime

I just read the Rennie interview in the back of the MM book. Amusingly brutal throughout, as have many of these interviews been. It's quite the contrast from the Marvel books, which would have you believe that every single strip within was the BEST THING EVER. Refreshing, but probably a bit weird for a newcomer. ("Hey, that book you just bought and read? Shit, isn't it?")

Jade Falcon

Quite enjoyed this book.  I'd read Childhood's End before, but only the once.  It's a decent enough story if a bit uneven in it's pacing, but I've read a lot worse.  From what I can see it's a definite turning point for Anderson and it is nice to see a different side to Orlok rather than the pantomime villain style that too often happens with bad guys.

So what is the next book.  Also, there is a story where Orlok returns to MC-1 in search of Anderson, does anyone know what that is called and if it will be in any of these books as I only ever managed to read part of it.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

teckno viking

Jade, you mean the Orlok return and seeks Anderson as he readies for DOOMSDAY on DREDD?

abelardsnazz

The next volume is Missionary Man: Goin' South. The first part of the Doomsday arc has appeared in volume 42 with the rest to follow soon.

Colin YNWA

Out of interest does anybody know the content of that one 'Goin' South' love me some Missionary Man but thing I'm missing some of the later Meg stuff?

IndigoPrime

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 April, 2016, 12:08:12 PM
I just read the Rennie interview in the back of the MM book. Amusingly brutal throughout, as have many of these interviews been. It's quite the contrast from the Marvel books, which would have you believe that every single strip within was the BEST THING EVER. Refreshing, but probably a bit weird for a newcomer. ("Hey, that book you just bought and read? Shit, isn't it?")

A hardback collection of 'You're Next, Punk' from the Meg's true golden age would go down nicely, although at about 20 pages total you'd probably have to commission some new rants...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 April, 2016, 08:35:13 PM
Amstor posted it on the previous page.

What and you actually expect me to look for myself. Can't you copy and paste it for me... God alright I'll go and look myself then... storms off huffing and puffing

THANKS!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 29 April, 2016, 09:18:14 PMCan't you copy and paste it for me
it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it

abelardsnazz

Childhood's End has a variety of artwork across the board, but I think it works for the stories and ideas Grant wanted to explore at the time. The only one I couldn't get on with was Xuasus, it seemed a bit muddied to me, but whether that was in the reproduction I don't know.

The Facebook page has posted some forthcoming issue info:

The Taxidermist will be in Issue 43.
The first Armitage book will be Issue 56
Fast Food will feature in Issue 61.

Jade Falcon

So far the collection has had a good number of stories I haven't read before which is always good.  I've asked before, but does anyone know if Helltreckers will be in the collection as it's part of the 'universe'?

I imagine as well that we might get the Captain Skank story, although I'm not sure how well it's regarded.  I've only ever read it the once.  In addition I imagine we'll get The Judge Child and at least some other Angel Gang stories?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov