Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

thanks for the warning Prof but I like to liquify my brain with seriously bad movies, its like an S & M thing i enjoy the pain.  ;)

CU Radbacker

Keef Monkey

Fantastic Mr Fox, which I enjoyed a lot. I'd actually forgotten that as a kid I adored the book and read it over and over again, but it all came flooding back watching this. It was also pretty interesting how much it felt like one of Wes Anderson's live action films, despite being about stop motion animals.

TOMMIE

I have watched many Movies last time, I would like to share all these movies in form of list below

China Cry
Troy
The Chronicles of Narnia
Evil Dead

TOMMIE

Tiplodocus

THE CLONE WARS
It looks like it's 3 or 4 episodes of the first anuimated series stitched together (do forgive me, I am a little behind the times here) and has a plot (of sorts) about Anakin having to rescue Jabba the Hutt's son (Stinkie or Punkie or something) from the droid seperatists who are trying to manipulate things here and there and make people be bad.

Despite the massive amount of fights and explosions and cool spaceships and hardware and lightsabres, a couple of enjoyable set pieces aside it really is quite tiresomely dull. (These are the same issues I had with the prequels in general)

I like the vertical assault on the monestary, Anakin's pupil taking on those four droids that have anti-lightsabre staffs but that's about it.

There's something wrong about Tatooine being the centre of so much action; I do recall a very clumsily constructed line in Star Wars "If there's a bright centre to the universe, your on the planet that it's farthest from" and having Jabba THe HUtt be a massivly influential galactic criminal and having Jedi and Sith and everybody visit the planet every ten minutes just doesn't seem right.

Interesting to hear an actor doing an impersonation of Ewan macGregor doing an impersonation of young Alec Guinness.

Still, it was only £3 for Tiny Tips birthday and he seemed to enjoy it more than me so job done, I guess.

THE A-TEAM (pilot episode/movie - Mexican Slayride)
Another purchase for Tiny Tips birthday - he loves THE A-TEAM (not the recent movie) which is convenient because during the early eighties (when I was old enough to know better) so did I.

As ever, they end up working for next to nothing to free a captured american journalist and a whole village who have been forced into growing marijuana for local mexican bandits and rebels.  Various gun fights, a short and good natured bar fight and armoured car shenanigans ensue with Hannibal doniing plenty of disguises, Mr T "ain't getting on no plane", Murdoch bbeing howling mad and Face scamming everything they need to right wrongs by pretending to be a film producer.

I'd never actually seen this before and it is still remarkably good fun. Some of the stunts and action seem a little off compared to today's standards but they do throw jeeps (and stereotypes) about with gay abandon.  Mr T is much more talkative than in the main show.  Triple A is as cute as I remember her and has a brilliant line about "And I have access to a computer for research" which I had to explain to Tiny Tips who probably has more computing power on his 3DS than she has.

A curio is the original Faceman.  Tim Dunnigan, I think, poor fella ditched from a series that went on for five or six years. I wonder what happened to him.  It's hard to tell because obviously Dirk Benedict is just sooo good as Face but they probably ditched the fella for being slightly too young looking.  He certainly didn't have a charismatic impact that you'd expect from a Faceman.  I (don't) wonder what happened to him.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 29 March, 2011, 08:12:40 AM
Still, it was only £3 for Tiny Tips birthday and he seemed to enjoy it more than me so job done, I guess.

My eldest loves the movie, but I agree, it's a bit of a disaster.  I'm not sure what possessed Lucas to literally re-edit three existing episodes with some additional material and present it as a cinema release (he supposedly described it himself as 'an afterthought') - it's a fabulous cartoon in a 22 minute format, but exposing a cobbled-together version of its earliest efforts to critics on the big screen was madness.  

I'd strongly recommend the First Season boxset of the series if you can find it cheap, the five episodes on the first disc alone are pure gold.  For a real visual shock, I'd also recommend the two-parter that has just closed the third season - the quality, depth and range of the animation has exploded, plus it has a note-perfect turn by Chewbacca in his chronologically-earliest adventure.   It's a strange show, with all sorts of discordant angles being tried (a mid-season episode where R2 and 3PO go to a market to buy fruit and R2 ends up being pampered in a pervy droid spa while 3PO is horribly tortured seems to be a particualrly bizarre homage to the Droids cartoon), it often seems to be let down by bad editing within episodes, and it seems to jump the shark almost every second episode but somehow to recover in time for next week, but it's seldom dull (except when it is).

Buddy

Sucker Punch.

It's like a 110 min pop video made by a 15 year old horny schoolboy... with LOTS of slow-mo.

Lets hope he grows up a bit for Superman.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Buddy on 29 March, 2011, 01:56:19 PMIt's like a 110 min pop video made for a 15 year old horny schoolboy... with LOTS of slow-mo.

Fixed that for you.

Also, you have to appreciate that without comic panels to emulate, Snyder has to use slo-mo to emulate the storyboard.  Personally, I think this dedication to the limited repertoire of his particular equine is to be admired - he's consistent in pushing Snyder the brand rather than Snyder the talent.

Buddy

Quote from: Professah Byah on 29 March, 2011, 02:26:19 PM
Quote from: Buddy on 29 March, 2011, 01:56:19 PMIt's like a 110 min pop video made for a 15 year old horny schoolboy... with LOTS of slow-mo.

Fixed that for you.

Also, you have to appreciate that without comic panels to emulate, Snyder has to use slo-mo to emulate the storyboard.  Personally, I think this dedication to the limited repertoire of his particular equine is to be admired - he's consistent in pushing Snyder the brand rather than Snyder the talent.

Good point.

Kerrin

The Lincoln Lawyer, very enjoyable with a nice twisty plot and some excellent performances.

The Adventurer

Watched Evangelion 1.11: You are (Not) Alone, in anticipation for Evangelion 2.22: You can (Not) Advance's immanent release on Blu-ray. I'm not a fan of the show, but the movie is pretty good. And I hear 2.22 deviates from the TV series significantly.

I've also been jonesing recently to rewatch Akira. Its been a while.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

Daredevil, admittedly while digitising drawings.  Oh dear.  A pompous, whiny, overly serious mess that still might have been almost worth watching were it not for the execrable faux-metal soundtrack.  What were they thinking?  Two Evanecsence numbers in the space of 30 minutes?  

Affleck's Murdock was perhaps surprisingly okay, even if he's an utter charisma void only highlighted by Jon Favreaus's amusing Foggy; Colin Farrell's twitchy Bullseye was very entertaining and he seemed to be the only person having fun in the entire film; Michael Clarke Duncan's Kingpin was basically unexplained and largely inexplicable as a character ("I was raised in the Bronx.  This is something you wouldn't understand" -nor I, as it happens).  The gorgeous Jennifer Garner's Elektra should have been great, but she basically did nothing but hang around waiting for her father to be killed so she could take to the rooftops and get killed herself in short order.  She also spent a great deal of the film being irritatingly miserable.

While I can forgive the ropey CGI (who really cares), and physics-defying leaps somehow permitted by 'radar senses', the film is also bloody sloppily made - they can't seem to decide if Murdock has scaring around his eyes or not, it seems to come and go randomly, as do his various cuts and other scars; the dialogue looping also seems completely out of sync in several places - characters' mouths continue to move after they've finished speaking, presumably due to re-writes without re-shoots.  Bah!

Oh, and the great Joe Pantaliano's hat was so annoying I could barely look at him.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 March, 2011, 08:49:22 AM
She also spent a great deal of the film being irritatingly miserable.

Give the Elektra movie a wide berth, then -- that's basically a summary of the whole two hours.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

I suppose I should have noted the few things I did like.  The Daredevil costume, while looking pretty awful on posters and such, worked well with the film's lighting to look scary and intimidating - I hadn't really thought about the devil aspect of the get-up before, having thought of it more as an impish circus acrobat's costume.  This worked well with the murderous character that Daredevil is in the first part of the film - a properly homicidal vigilante, and pretty unlikable (always a good combination with Affleck), providing a good base for a journey to a more enlightened hero. That was a refreshing change, and along with the not-badly done origin story and nice effects used for Young Matt's emerging senses in the hospital, it gave me short-lived hope for the rest of the movie.  Ah well.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 March, 2011, 09:03:23 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 31 March, 2011, 08:49:22 AM
She also spent a great deal of the film being irritatingly miserable.

Give the Elektra movie a wide berth, then -- that's basically a summary of the whole two hours.

Cheers

Jim

Indeed- Miss Garner is so gorgeous that it makes my brain hurt, but I could not watch more than the first few minutes of the Elektra movie.

SmallBlueThing

Daredevil, along with the second hulk film, is my favourite of the marvel movies. If only because it's not as relentlessly cheerful and homogeneous as the spidey or fantastic four efforts, or as irritating as the xmen. I love the aesthetic of daredevil, and colin farrel's a laugh, especially in the 'irish pub scene', complete with 'im a leprechaun' gangsta rap in the background.

One caveat is that i dont really give a monkeys about any of the marvel films, or comics films in general, so it's no big deal either way. To me, there isnt a huge difference between something like iron man and, say, judge dredd. Though of them all, i'll take v for vendetta and watchmen thanks.

SBT