Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobo Baggins

"Zenith - Yay! It's like Watchmen but not Watchmen!"

Ah, Zenith and Watchmen were published simultaneously at the same time so I don't think either of them could have influenced the other (although I suppose Morrison could have seen the first couple of issues of Watchmen if the 2000 AD commissioning and creation process went uncharacteristically quickly on this occasion).
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Frank on 19 August, 2019, 12:16:39 PM

I wouldn't trust assurances that there's a correct UK pronunciation of Zenith. Good luck on getting any three 2000ad readers to agree how to say Cursed Earth, Sláine or (a new one to me) Souther.

I like Gaiman's Future Shock more than Fox, although I think we agree it's too good an idea just to be a Future Shock. I might have misunderstood Fox's point, but Gaiman wasn't a name writer at the point he scored these gigs.

And thank you. Yes, that's what's wrong with Universal Soldier.

We're solidly "Cursed (one syllable) Earth", "Slaine" and "South-er". I'm trying really hard to say Zen-ith instead of Zee-nith, but it goes against my US accent brain!

My basic plan is to agree to disagree with Fox on Future Shocks, he sees them exclusively as filler but I believe in the possibility of a prestige future shock!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Frank

With y'all on the love for Alabammy Blimps, a story which, as far as I can tell, is liked well enough, rather than cherished, as it deserves. Every character, every panel and every line of dialogue is a bit of business and all of it works brilliantly.

But especially FLATIN'.

Good call on the probable influence on the portrayal of the Angel gang in the Stallone movie, which would mean this one story likely influenced both movie Dredds. The matriarch of the 2012 movie was originally supposed to be an obese, middle-aged bruiser.

And this was the first time I realised Dredd's leathers were black. I think Carlos had depicted them that way in an annual story, but the move to painted colour must have caused discussion of the matter - I'm sure there's a reader's letter about it around this time.

It's great to see Dillon experimenting with different approaches to the new format. Within the course of these 4 episodes and the 2 he contributed to Oz, we see Dillon run the gamut from essentially flat colour to lush washes and textured strokes.

On his only other Dredds - Nightmares and Emerald Isle - Dillon lets others (i) handle the crayons. Crying shame, but I suppose he figured out the extra cash didn't compensate for the extra time and trouble, no matter how lovely the results.

(i) Gina Hart and Will Simpson, respectively

Frank

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 19 August, 2019, 05:35:57 PM
I'm trying really hard to say Zen-ith instead of Zee-nith, but it goes against my US accent brain!

I've always said Zee-nith and think Zen-ith sounds stupid in my Scottish accent. Morrison says Zen-ith, but he's a Weegie.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 19 August, 2019, 03:41:35 PM
"Zenith - Yay! It's like Watchmen but not Watchmen!"

Ah, Zenith and Watchmen were published simultaneously at the same time so I don't think either of them could have influenced the other (although I suppose Morrison could have seen the first couple of issues of Watchmen if the 2000 AD commissioning and creation process went uncharacteristically quickly on this occasion).

My understanding is that Watchmen would have been ending right when Zenith was starting, and Dark Knight Returns was February to June 1986. In Thrill Power Overload they definitely talk about both of them providing some inspiration for the story (or anti-inspiration, as Morrison tells it).
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

Also worthy of note, Alabammy Blimps was intended as a Daily Star strip (the daily multiparters), but for whatever reason, was transferred to the progs

Frank

Quote from: Leigh S on 19 August, 2019, 07:58:55 PM
Also worthy of note, Alabammy Blimps was intended as a Daily Star strip (the daily multiparters), but for whatever reason, was transferred to the progs

I crown you King Fact. Can't remember the last time any of us passed on knowledge everyone hadn't already heard a dozen times, so kudos.

Morrison mentions Watchmen as one reason Zenith was commissioned in the clip I linked to above.

WhizzBang

Another great show - thanks Conrad and Fox. I have been reading along but I am skipping Mean Team - each time I get to it I think of you both heroically struggling through it but it must be the worst thing in a very long time. Universal Soldier and the Future Shocks are mildly pleasant to get tho´rough in comparison.

Colin YNWA

Well that's really interesting. Would be great to know why that happened and I assume that lead to a shift in artist as well?

Leigh S

I shall go all Frank(s)* on us and quote from the Titan Judge Dredd collection intro (20), which my memory proved correct as the source of the Daily Star info:

"The Alabammy Blimps began life as a story to be serialised in the Judge Dredd daily newspaper strip, but eventually saw print iin progs 535-539.  It provoked less of an editorial response** with Dillon merely being advised to ensure the cannibalism aspect was played down.

However, once teh story saw print, readers began to pick up on the comments from those Alabammy rednecks, the McCoys, about the various activities they indulged in beginning with the letter "F". Wagner and Grant, at their humourous best, hadn't anticipated the substitutions made by most readers.

Ralf bonkington was based on a Company chairman who, at the time of writing the story, was having his carnal activities with an attractive model revealed in the newspapers.

Another unfortunate coincidence occurred when part 5 saw print with Big Mammy throwing Dredd all over the place saw print the same week that a wrestler died after a bout with another fighter called Big Daddy."

Introduction by *Frank Plowright

** The other story they refer to being Beating heart, where a page was removed in part 1 showing Earl Lacewing extracting Brad  Doddle's heart - whether the page removed before or after being drawn is not clear, but if the latter, that would make for an amazing collector's piece!

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 August, 2019, 08:56:25 PM

Well that's really interesting. Would be great to know why that happened and I assume that lead to a shift in artist as well?

sheridan

Why so?  Steve Dillon drew for Daily Dredd?

Frank

Quote from: Leigh S on 19 August, 2019, 09:10:03 PM
... once teh story saw print, readers began to pick up on the comments from those Alabammy rednecks, the McCoys, about the various activities they indulged in beginning with the letter "F". Wagner and Grant, at their humourous best, hadn't anticipated the substitutions made by most readers.

Ralf bonkington was based on a Company chairman who, at the time of writing the story, was having his carnal activities with an attractive model revealed in the newspapers.

** The other story they refer to being Beating heart, where a page was removed in part 1 showing Earl Lacewing extracting Brad  Doddle's heart - whether the page removed before or after being drawn is not clear, but if the latter, that would make for an amazing collector's piece!

If it exists, Evil Dale Jackson has it.

LOL (as Dave Cameron would say) to both of the above - Sir Ralph, revealed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Halpern

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 19 August, 2019, 09:22:22 PM

Why so?  Steve Dillon drew for Daily Dredd?

Did he, this I didn't know either. Just a big ol' ball of ignorance me on this one!