Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

Quote from: The Monarch on 30 November, 2018, 10:16:07 AM
its kinda sad some random guy on the internet can send you something faster than a company

Any ebay seller who took as long as Hachette to send stuff would have terrible ratings and end up effectively out of business.  I've purchased most of the Dredd collection via ebay over recent months with the odd order from Hachette.  Ebay orders are generally with me in a couple of days, Hachette a couple of weeks AT BEST.

IndigoPrime

Randomly, two books arrived today. Fuck knows where the others are.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: The Monarch on 30 November, 2018, 10:16:07 AM
its kinda sad some random guy on the internet can send you something faster than a company

Indeed that is true. :D

Still nothing so far, but it took long enough to get through to someone.  I have the sneaking suspicion that the replacement will probably have the same issues text wise.  Did anyone else get overly bolded text on War on the Streets?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

The rest of my order arrived. I now have some advice for everyone here: be VERY careful on making large orders for Hachette. I ordered 21 books, and they were sent in three large card boxes, with no protection whatsoever. It's a miracle more of the books aren't badly damaged.

Even bearing in mind this company's incompetence, I'm actually taken aback by this.

DonJohnson

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 December, 2018, 12:29:05 PM
The rest of my order arrived. I now have some advice for everyone here: be VERY careful on making large orders for Hachette. I ordered 21 books, and they were sent in three large card boxes, with no protection whatsoever. It's a miracle more of the books aren't badly damaged.

Even bearing in mind this company's incompetence, I'm actually taken aback by this.

I made a large order over a week ago and due to the amount, next day delivery was available.

After 5 working days, nothing showed up. So I complained via FB messenger. They claimed that I had to pay extra for next day delivery, so I screenshot the delivery info from their website. They then made excuses and claimed my delivery should arrive early this week.

What a joke.

IndigoPrime

My order was split. Two books arrived after two days, and the rest showed up today. So that means eight books arrived late (out of ten), the others arrived on time. I'm mostly annoyed at the state they arrived in. Oh, and it turns out they also managed to get the order wrong, and sent one book incorrectly. Because they are massive buffoons.

As for your email response, it's clear they don't know their own company policy. When I tried to resubscribe to the 2000 AD series, I was told you could only subscribe from issue 1, despite what's stated on the website. Now you're told you have to pay extra for next-day, despite their site stating free delivery over £x and free next day over £y.

The books are good, on the whole, but... blimey. After the 2000 AD series is done, I can't imagine why I'd ever subscribe to another of these series. Hell, even if they did an Image partwork, I'd think twice.

DonJohnson

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 December, 2018, 02:05:37 PM
My order was split. Two books arrived after two days, and the rest showed up today. So that means eight books arrived late (out of ten), the others arrived on time. I'm mostly annoyed at the state they arrived in. Oh, and it turns out they also managed to get the order wrong, and sent one book incorrectly. Because they are massive buffoons.

As for your email response, it's clear they don't know their own company policy. When I tried to resubscribe to the 2000 AD series, I was told you could only subscribe from issue 1, despite what's stated on the website. Now you're told you have to pay extra for next-day, despite their site stating free delivery over £x and free next day over £y.

The books are good, on the whole, but... blimey. After the 2000 AD series is done, I can't imagine why I'd ever subscribe to another of these series. Hell, even if they did an Image partwork, I'd think twice.

I've subscribed at my local Forbidden Planet store for the next issue onward. They will hold the issues for me and I will pay when I pick them up so I can inspect for damage.

The only plus with the Hachette subscription was that I could easily ask for replacements if any damages occurred. Plus it came to my door. However I think this will work better and once its done I will never use them again.

Image partwork? Cant you just buy via Amazon etc.?

Eaglemoss is even worse that Hachette!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: DonJohnson on 03 December, 2018, 02:47:55 PMI've subscribed at my local Forbidden Planet store for the next issue onward. They will hold the issues for me and I will pay when I pick them up so I can inspect for damage.
If I had a local option, I'd do the same; the problem is we have two stores in town – McColl's and WHSmith – and it seems neither can guarantee they'll get things in. It's not like the good old days of my local newsagent.

QuoteImage partwork? Cant you just buy via Amazon etc.?
Yep. I just like hardbacks, and a selection of strips. My point was really that after 2000 AD, Image is probably the sole thing where I might budge regarding a "never again" stance on Hachette partworks.

DonJohnson

A lot of the Image stuff is collected in HB and Deluxe HB, like Saga for example.

Eaglemoss have released a Star Wars collection in Europe but I am just collecting the Marvel Epics which collect everything ever.

I also got the Hachette Marvel 2016 Collection but stopped about 60 issues in. I figured I could just get what I wanted via OHC/OMNIs or Marvel Unlimited.

These part works usually have really low resale value compared to buying the actual HC/OHC from the standard publisher.

I regret buying the Eaglemoss DC colletion and starting the Hachette Marvel one. However the Dredd and 2000AD ones make sense as this stuff is not really collected in a nice curated HC format.

abelardsnazz

For the record, Rage is split between Strontium Dog volumes 4 and 5.

Jade Falcon

I wish the Eaglemoss Star Wars one was sold in the UK, but alas, no.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

DonJohnson

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 05 December, 2018, 02:24:01 PM

Why not just pick up the Marvel Epic Collection? They are collecting all the DH material plus all the old Marvel material.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: DonJohnson on 05 December, 2018, 03:34:22 PM
Quote from: Jade Falcon on 05 December, 2018, 02:24:01 PM

Why not just pick up the Marvel Epic Collection? They are collecting all the DH material plus all the old Marvel material.

Which is what I'm doing. I have seven of the Epic collection and the original Marvel run I have in the 4 omnibus collections.

Max Headroom

Just wondered if anyone knows if the Stickleback volume of the Ultimate Collection will feature all the following stories:
Mother London
England's Glory London's Burning
Number of the Beast
Twas the Fight before Christmas
The Thru'Penny Opera
Will that prove too many pages for one edition? I have a feeling that the Christmas story may be omitted, but I sincerely hope not as I am a real stickler for completeness!
May I also take this opportunity to ask for the return of this strip in the Prog, as it was a great story and I really don't like unfinished endings

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Max Headroom on 05 December, 2018, 05:49:48 PM
Just wondered if anyone knows if the Stickleback volume of the Ultimate Collection will feature all the following stories:
Mother London
England's Glory London's Burning
Number of the Beast
Twas the Fight before Christmas
The Thru'Penny Opera

No, but if I had to guess I'd say not. It's just too much! Hopefully it gives us up to London's Burning - that's a nice natural place to stop, an end to the first arc of the character and series before we jump forward in time for the next books.
@jamesfeistdraws