Main Menu

Metroid: Samus Returns

Started by Link Prime, 10 August, 2017, 10:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Any Metroid fans in the house?

Really, really excited about the upcoming Metroid: Samus Returns for the 3DS, now mere weeks away.
In a year without Breath of the Wild this would've been without a doubt my most anticipated game.

Love the series in general - very fond memories of the first Metroid Prime on the GameCube, the superb Super Metroid on the SNES, going all the way back to the experience etched into my then very young soul- playing the original Metroid on the NES.
We all know games from that era were sometimes quite tough, and completing this felt like a genuine achievement when I was 11 or 12.

All footage released for Samus Returns so far looks amazing- could be the fist 3DS game that I'll use the 3D for the duration.
I've already pre-ordered the two new (gorgeous) Metroid Amiibo that'll be released on the same day as the game, only afterwards realizing that they'll be useless without an NFC reader- my 3DS is the very first iteration.  :-[

Apestrife

Ive pre ordered it as well. Spec. ed. Tin box with OST.

Cant  wait to play it. Looks really smooth in action. I like that they carried over the melee stuff from other m. just hope none of the story bits made it over. Wasnt a fan how it told a story.

My favs are Super Metroid and the first Prime. I have a feeling this will rank up nicely.

Link Prime

Quote from: Apestrife on 10 August, 2017, 02:01:40 PM
I have a feeling this will rank up nicely.

I've a feeling you're spot on.

Never really gave 'Other M' a chance by the way- played it a few years ago for 30 minutes then gave up and moved onto Skyrim. Will have to try it again at some stage.

PS- congrats on getting the special edition- they were snapped up in the blink of an eye.

Apestrife

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 August, 2017, 03:20:38 PM
I've a feeling you're spot on.

Never really gave 'Other M' a chance by the way- played it a few years ago for 30 minutes then gave up and moved onto Skyrim. Will gave to try it again at some stage.

PS- congrats on getting the special edition- they were snapped up in the blink of an eye.

I quite enjoy Other M for the gameplay. Especially when you get to explore freely. Very bold with the nes style control. Shame some of the enviroments felt a bit flat, and the story took itself a bit too seriously. I much prefer the story in Fusion. Which also is quite story focused, but doesn't feel as forced as Other M makes it out to be, with it's drawn out cut scenes and fps pixel hunt (you'll see what I mean). Still think it's worth a go. I think it's a very interesting failure.

I love the prospect of getting a cd soundtrack.

Apestrife

Got it today. Took down one boss and gotten a couple upgrades. Really like it this far. Love the control. Very fluid. The free aim and melee is a fantastic addition.

Will listen to the OST collection CD tonight. Collector's edition is a really neat package.

Tiplodocus

I've seen some reviews saying it's hard - and much as I enjoy them, I'm shit at games.  What do you reckon?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Apestrife

While I'm quite early in, I don't think it's that hard. I think the trick is to learn to make use of the melee attack and free aim.

Link Prime

Quote from: Apestrife on 15 September, 2017, 06:01:19 PM
Very fluid.

Absolutely.
The designers deserve some real appreciation for how perfectly Samus can navigate the terrain, intuitively switching to morph ball when required- it's seamless.

This didn't disappoint me in the slightest, in fact it's an essential addition to the Metroid series.
The best '3D' on the 3DS I've ever seen too.

It's a challenging game, but not overly difficult. I breezed through to Area 6 (shortly after acquiring the Gravity Suit) and then got thrashed 10 times in a row by the construction mecha boss.

A solid thumbs up for the new Amiibo too- especially the Metroid, with it's stress-busting squishy head.