Main Menu

Stargazing Live

Started by spireite68, 17 January, 2012, 09:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spireite68

Anyone been watching this over the past couple of nights? I've really enjoyed it.
You creeps must think I sailed through space on a synthi-biscuit!

SmallBlueThing

Yep, best thing on telly this week. I do like Brian Cox, and he's endearing gawky in this.

And now spider-goats! Sadly none of whom are fighting crime.

SBT

spireite68

Watching the Spider Goats now SBT. Scary stuff, throws up all sorts of ethical questions.
You creeps must think I sailed through space on a synthi-biscuit!

SmallBlueThing

See, i now want to take a goat and cross it with, um, well, with a goblin- and see if it automatically hates the spider-goat.

But there may be a flaw in that plan somewhere.

SBT

ICONIC_TM

Giant fire ants and synthetic Biology blows my mind,...... All gone very Blade Runner!

Goaty

Stop says my name again!   :D

James Stacey

Spider Goaty ?

That was some crazy stuff. It didn't help the scientist doing it was some crazy guy with a wandering eye in Utah.

Gonk

I'm glad they raised the issue of light pollution. If you live in a built up area you do not experience true nighttime due to alll the street lighting and the stars are practically invisible. Very frustrating if you have invested in a telescope in the garden shed.
coming at a cinema near you soon

TordelBack

Quote from: wonkychop on 19 January, 2012, 07:56:12 AM
Very frustrating if you have invested in a telescope in the garden shed.

Have you tried cutting a hole in the roof?

Gonk

There is a trapdoor in the roof, yes not a hole.

Next month I'm planning to knock together an orgone accummulator in there as well.

Tiplodocus

You could stick some cheese on the lens to block out the light pollution. Have you tried that?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Gonk

I did once try it with some gorgonzola, but it obscured my view of the local Boy Scouts orienteering in a neighbouring field!

TordelBack

Okay, I'm intrigued now.  I have an indestructible Russian 5" reflector (down, Roger) which I enjoy greatly, but it was pretty obvious before I got it (for a fiver, at a parish sale!) that light pollution round my house would make anything but moon-watching a complete no-no  (meaning I mainly use it when I'm camping or visiting folk in the sticks - and I live right at the edge of the mountains, on the extreme edge of the city suburbs).  Surely it was clear before you bought a scope that light pollution was going to be an issue, or has it got worse over time?

Also, wouldn't it have to be a very big trapdoor to get any kind of a field of view?

Gonk

:lol: Look! Getting back on topic. Since Stargazinglive was broadcast, it's been reported that telescope sales have increased by about 400% - but please don't quote me on that. A lot of people are going to be disheartened when all they can see out of them is the Moon and Jupiter. Right next to where I live is a sports field with floodlights. No joke, when they are turned on at night, all the birds in the trees bordering the fields start singing and chirping away because they think morning has broken.

I have a ladder and some binoculars.

TordelBack

Quote from: wonkychop on 19 January, 2012, 10:16:47 PM
I have a ladder and some binoculars.

And hopefully a good alibi.