Main Menu

Spines

Started by Fleetos, 12 October, 2011, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Tombo, didn't realise the DMZ spines made the Manhatten skyline, sweet!
DDT did a job on me

Tombo

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 February, 2012, 06:44:28 PM
Psst. 

(Pic of drill)

I did honestly think of doing that but A) I don't think I'd be capable of making the holes line up straight, B) three rows of full sized would be too tight, and C) Like I could be trusted with a drill in the first place, my brother has still not forgiven me for the whole brand new table/orbital sander "incident" and that was twenty odd years ago.

QuoteTombo, didn't realise the DMZ spines made the Manhatten skyline, sweet!

It's what caught my eye in FP in the first place, its a really clever idea.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tombo on 02 February, 2012, 07:11:31 PM
I did honestly think of doing that...

I know you did, was just funnin' ya.

SmallBlueThing

I forgot to say that I bought one of them there Argos shelves the other week. Here it is, in my dining room:

SBT

The Adventurer

Wound up reevaluating my decision to integrate my 2000 AD trades with my main book shelf. So I pulled them all out and put them on their own designated one. They were just sagging too much mixed in with the others. It was causing too much cover warp.

This seems to work better.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Adventurer on 02 February, 2012, 09:38:15 PM
They were just sagging too much mixed in with the others. It was causing too much cover warp.

Actually that reminds me of something I was thinking of bringing up here - sounds like it might even be the same problem. I have my 2k trades in a row, on a shelf, and the spines all sit together fine; but the front ends of the books are all sagging downward. The books up against the vertical bit of the shelf unit are fine, but those at the other end are getting all warped and bendy. Is there a solution to this, or would I be better stacking the books horizontally, like Cosh?
@jamesfeistdraws

The Adventurer

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 02 February, 2012, 09:44:51 PM
They were just sagging too much mixed in with the others. It was causing too much cover warp.

Actually that reminds me of something I was thinking of bringing up here - sounds like it might even be the same problem. I have my 2k trades in a row, on a shelf, and the spines all sit together fine; but the front ends of the books are all sagging downward. The books up against the vertical bit of the shelf unit are fine, but those at the other end are getting all warped and bendy. Is there a solution to this, or would I be better stacking the books horizontally, like Cosh?

What seems to be happening is, the spines of the books are actually thicker then the actually cover+pages part of the book. So when you line them up, and square their spines together. The pages and covers have a lot more wriggle room, and gravity pulls them down, or left and right. And because of how heavy the glossy paper stock* is, when it pulls left or right. It applies a lot of pressure on adjacent books. And if you leave them sagging like that for a long time, the cover start to hold their shape.

I think it has to do with how much wider 2000 AD collections are compared to regular US comic collections.

*the case files, with their non-glossy paper. Don't seem to have this problem.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Adventurer on 02 February, 2012, 09:58:49 PM

I have my 2k trades in a row, on a shelf, and the spines all sit together fine; but the front ends of the books are all sagging downward. The books up against the vertical bit of the shelf unit are fine, but those at the other end are getting all warped and bendy.

What seems to be happening is, the spines of the books are actually thicker then the actually cover+pages part of the book. So when you line them up, and square their spines together. The pages and covers have a lot more wriggle room, and gravity pulls them down, or left and right. And because of how heavy the glossy paper stock* is, when it pulls left or right.

That's it! Is there any solution, does anyone know? Stack fewer trades together?
@jamesfeistdraws

The Adventurer

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 02 February, 2012, 10:02:31 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 02 February, 2012, 09:58:49 PM

I have my 2k trades in a row, on a shelf, and the spines all sit together fine; but the front ends of the books are all sagging downward. The books up against the vertical bit of the shelf unit are fine, but those at the other end are getting all warped and bendy.

What seems to be happening is, the spines of the books are actually thicker then the actually cover+pages part of the book. So when you line them up, and square their spines together. The pages and covers have a lot more wriggle room, and gravity pulls them down, or left and right. And because of how heavy the glossy paper stock* is, when it pulls left or right.

That's it! Is there any solution, does anyone know? Stack fewer trades together?

I'm looking into getting some book ends, to see if that improves things. But I'm actually haven't a really hard time actually finding any!

Tombo

Buttonman

Quote from: The Cosh on 19 January, 2012, 11:16:27 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 19 January, 2012, 02:23:42 PM
Cosh, What's that PKD book like? anygood?
Yeah. It's a bit French but well worth a read if you've any interest in Dick.

Snigger - Edimburghers all rushing to Watersons!

Grant Goggans

I slip a piece of cardboard, about a quarter-inch thick, in between every seven or eight books.  You can't see the board and it addressed the warping.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dr. Dog on 02 February, 2012, 05:49:47 PM
Cheers. I enjoy this thread because, apart from voyeuristically peering into people's living rooms, you can see the fatness of the trades to judge value for money on your next buy.

CF 9 looks fit to burst.
Not the best guide really. CF12 onwards have a broadly similar to the early volumes but are almost half the size because of the improved paper stock.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

i had noticed the cover warp too on my shelf, this is worsen by a support at the back which books can get caught in, Grant's cardboard seems the best idea.

I must update my photo of me shelves as the xmas gifts and another box have been added, sadly it doesn't look as good as. say SBT shelves, as my stuff is a bit more random.
DDT did a job on me

Dash Decent

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 02 February, 2012, 11:41:59 PM
I slip a piece of cardboard, about a quarter-inch thick, in between every seven or eight books.  You can't see the board and it addressed the warping.

That's a good idea.  I've been using the hardbacks (ABC Warriors, Prion Best ofs) at various intervals.  It works but of course it means you have a couple of series that are split up.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.