Main Menu

Dredd (2011): What the latest?

Started by Goaty, 23 June, 2011, 10:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 August, 2011, 09:29:00 PM
You mean the dude without a proper helmet?

He is a helmet. A tumescent, weeping, purple helmet. When I watch some of his movies, my eyes feel dirty. Having said that, Rambo is awesome.
You may quote me on that.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 August, 2011, 09:16:30 PM
Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 23 August, 2011, 09:05:59 PMPossibly right, but still without it would Judge Dredd be the same?

It probably would since Dredd's development was quite organic in the early years and certainly the influence of a film like Magnum Force only came through in stories like "The Devil You Know" in the early 90's.

Have to disagree with you there, since Magnum Force is basically Dirty Harry vs Judge Dredd - Dirty Harry being a direct influence on Dredd this to my logic makes it an obvious influence.

But it comes down to opinion, I'm happy to leave it there so lets agree to disagree.

The Sherman Kid

Andersons Shame -great pic -still laughing :lol:

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 23 August, 2011, 09:48:16 PMHave to disagree with you there, since Magnum Force is basically Dirty Harry vs Judge Dredd - Dirty Harry being a direct influence on Dredd this to my logic makes it an obvious influence.

But it comes down to opinion, I'm happy to leave it there so lets agree to disagree.

Since I was the one who raised the hypothetical influence of Magnum Force on Dredd on this very forum before, and it's never been that 'official' when it comes to particulars, any opinion remains purely hypothetical and -if you read my last post- I never said it didn't have an influence on Dredd but direct influence wasn't at least 'apparent' story-wise until the 'the Devil You Know'.

Since Magnum Force is about Death-Squads in LA, it's not totally congruent with early Dredd, the subtext is there but Dirty Harry is the major influence persona-wise with Dredd, the system of Judges developed as the strip went on and that's where the parallels with Magnum Force starts.

Quote from an earlier post of mine:

QuoteThe Dirty Harry/Dredd comparison still applies and is not confused since it's the persona people are comparing not exactly the character motivations/story or world and Dredd has indeed displayed Harry's more extreme lone actions many times in his objections to Justice Dept. policies etc, and the same humour/public relations too. Yes, there are differences but that's because Dredd represents/operates in a different system he mostly believes in, Harry doesn't because he's not allowed to dispense the kind of Justice he feels is needed for certian perps- he basically wants to be Dredd. It's the 'individualism' in the bloodline amongst the Judges that sets Dredd apart and makes him valuable as has been noted many times. Dredd ain't a vigilante cos he doesn't need to be. He can work within the law.

The closest thing to Harry becoming Dredd -in character and in film- is in the sequel Magnum Force, not a great film (bad script) but a great idea for a Dirty Harry sequel and a logical extension of the first:

[spoiler]A group of motorcycle patrol cops equally disillusioned with the weakness of their laws see Harry as an icon and his methods  something to aspire to, so they form their own death squad executing prominent gang leaders/perps. It further transpires that they intend this method almost to become part of the system, a fixture, something akin to the Judges and there may be reason to believe they have the power and connections to make it happen. When Harry realises his methods may become systemic, because being Harry the only judgement he can trust is his own, he revolts; his enemies are worse than he is because they're cops who've betrayed themselves by conspiring.[/spoiler]

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=32309.0

CYCLOPZ

Yep. Never read that post, so you agree with me then.

Not just being Contrary for the sake of it then  ::)

TordelBack

Reading that summary, I realise two things:  (1). I've never seen Magnum Force (I was sure I had); and (2). that's pretty much what the last Judge Edgar story was about - [spoiler]the one where Ramos had been part of a secret group of hardline judges who went around assassinating perps[/spoiler]. 

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 23 August, 2011, 10:33:44 PM
Yep. Never read that post, so you agree with me then.

Not just being Contrary for the sake of it then  ::)

No, but with Dredd's origins nothing is simple and all debate on this forum is just banter and supposition, ask John Wagner if you want a direct answer to what inspired him. He may tell you something completely different, he may never have even seen Magnum Force for all I know and since many other writers with Pat Mills as editor had some involvement with the early scripts, it's anyone's guess.

Hindsight is not truth. I just thought it was a fun idea that some of the more hardened ideas that developed in Dredd had an retro-echo in Magnum Force and since Dirty Harry at least was an influence that it's possible it gew as an influence, but Dredd wasn't that developed from the beginning and in the end I don't know if the idea came directly from that film.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 August, 2011, 10:43:39 PM
Reading that summary, I realise two things:  (1). I've never seen Magnum Force (I was sure I had); and (2). that's pretty much what the last Judge Edgar story was about - [spoiler]the one where Ramos had been part of a secret group of hardline judges who went around assassinating perps[/spoiler].

It's definitely worth seeing, some of Harry's macho stylings which are pure Milius can be hard to take and are incongruent with the first film but there's a scene in an underground car park that's very similar to this:

Beaky Smoochies

John Milius rocks, three words to prove it- Conan the Barbarian, 'nuff said!  On the subject of Magnum Force, my problem with the film was it tried to make Harry a more 'likable' character and softened him around the edges, a total about-turn on the original movie's violent and uncompromising vigilante-with-a-badge character.  I always disliked the idea of Dirty Harry sequels because I always loved the ambiguity of the final scene [spoiler]when Harry throws his badge away, is he giving up the force completely or does he just know he's gonna be demoted for plugging Scorpio[/spoiler], I liked the fact it wasn't stated and left it up to the audience, but the sequel answers that ambiguity, rendering the original ending meaningless... as long as the producers of Dredd can avoid trying to make JD more 'likable', they'll be going a long way to a truly great Dredd movie!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 24 August, 2011, 04:19:05 AM
John Milius rocks, three words to prove it- Conan the Barbarian, 'nuff said!  On the subject of Magnum Force, my problem with the film was it tried to make Harry a more 'likable' character and softened him around the edges,

It didn't really soften him, the film just introduced some new characters who were far worse than he was and willing to be more ruthless and non-compromising so that in contrast Harry after he questioned the 'morality' of what was being done, looked softer.

As for Conan, well it's one of the most unintentionally insanely hilarious crapfests ever made apart from the music which is excellent.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 August, 2011, 10:55:47 AM
As for Conan, well it's one of the most unintentionally insanely hilarious crapfests ever made apart from the music which is excellent.

As Dredd might say under examination, "Enjoy it?  Of course I enjoy it!".

Conan is one of those rare films that I have to watch right through to the end every time I catch sight of it on the telly ...  I think it's actually James Earl Jones' wig that compels me.  I also own the DVD, and often put on the magnificent commentary just to cheer myself up.   Some highlights here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86-vveE9DI4&feature=player_embedded

James Stacey

One of the few films where the commentary is a must.

JOE SOAP

It's the training sequences I find hilarious and the cage-rape and Arnie's insane face while sword waving alone, James Earl Jones' shape-shifting into a snake and then basically slithering off in the middle of a fight, the voice-over, the constant aimless running around ...it goes on...and...on...

but then again there is the music.

CYCLOPZ

one of the most unintentionally insanely hilarious crapfests ever made ...

A bit like the original Judge Dredd film

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 24 August, 2011, 04:26:34 PM
one of the most unintentionally insanely hilarious crapfests ever made ...

A bit like the original Judge Dredd film

Did somebody make a Judge Dredd film before?