Main Menu

Recent posts

Tweaked...

Megazine / Re: Meg 466: Shoot ’em up
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 02:53:31 PM
It's so weird for me that 2000 AD thought it was a good idea to hire on US superhero writers to work on the comic. That's coming from my perspective that 2000 AD offered something uniquely British that was taking a different stance on the market. No heroes in capes (Klep excepted) was a breath of fresh comic air.

I realize with hindsight that a lot of British talent wanted nothing more than to get hired on by the big boys of the US and join them in their "everything in comics is basically a superhero template" world, and the editors at 2K probably figured it was a great scoop to hire on some US talent.

The results, though. The absolute worst of Rogue Trooper output. An almost complete lack of regard for continuity, or even internal logic. The article in this Meg skates neatly over the fact that most of the stories they're talking about are risible. It's a bit like "Oh yeah, that Billy McFarland - I actually helped him out on his Fyre Festival planning - it was me that chose the catering and sourced the disaster relief tents".
Last post by Link Prime - Today at 12:07:00 PM
Ah. Cheers Colin.
Games / Re: Gamebooks
Last post by Barrington Boots - Today at 11:54:51 AM
I played through Dead of Night a little while ago - I wasn't excited to get to this one, because frankly the title and cover art are totally boring, but had loads of fun playing it which shouldn't have been a surprise because it's written by Jm Bambra and Stephen Hand who know a few things about rpgs!
You play a paladin-type holy warrior on a mission to defeat your demonic arch-rival and rescue your parents into the bargain, travelling through a corrupted, Warhammer roleplay esque low fantasy world where demons and horrors lurk at every turn. Everything here is down at heel, dirty and broken: there's a element of being a witchfinder about it, as corruption could (and often is) lurking in most locations, although your character is very much a hero and not a cruel witchburner type - keeping your own goodness up by doing the right thing is a major plot point. There's some nasty little tricks in it to trip you up along the way as things aren't always what they seem, as well as a dose of body horror with a living demonic factory, plenty of undead and superstition, and multiple paths to the ending that reward good play and decisions. Gorgeous artwork from Martin McKenna only enhance the dirty, Oldhammer-y atmosphere.

No playthrough on this one from me, but here's how I bit the dust (repeatedly):

• Killed by the possessed corpse of a necromancer I'd previously dispatched, having failed to prevent a ritual from summoning something horrible and tentacled into his body.
  • Dissolved by a pool of sentient sludge after foolishly wading into it.
  • Battered to death by an ogre after some bad dice rolls.
  • Eaten by the huge demon on the cover as, instead of running away I wasted my turn using my 'demon sense' power to see if it was real and not an illusion (it was indeed real)
  • Stabbed by a bazillion floating knives trying to nab some magic armour

Despite all this, loved it.

I'm now playing, on and off, the new Huntress books from Magnamund which are a Lone Wolf prequel of sorts.
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Tomwe - Today at 11:40:50 AM
I think I bought RASL during my digital days, which is a shame as I believe Jeff's work always works best in B&W. Actually, I think I once bought my brother the complete edition in HC. It may still be sitting there in my parents house (likely unread).
Last post by Colin YNWA - Today at 11:22:21 AM
He worked with Michael Fleisher on plotting some ideas during this time at 2000ad. It was a pretty interesting read, but fair to say his involvement was fairly minimal.
Last post by Link Prime - Today at 11:14:03 AM
Quote from: The Monarch on 19 March, 2024, 04:01:57 PMall i can think of this month was THE CREATOR OF VENOM DID WHAT.....

Not a Megger - Whats the story with Michelinie?
News / Re: Steve Dillon: Apex Edition
Last post by Link Prime - Today at 11:09:26 AM
Quote from: pauljholden on 27 March, 2024, 10:36:50 PMWho did the rogue trooper print?

Actually looks like your work PJ.
Prog / Re: Prog 2375 - err Bumper Is...
Last post by nxylas - Today at 10:57:24 AM
Quote from: A.Cow on 27 March, 2024, 10:21:14 PMNah, Dredd inferred his logic earlier in the story: a heatseeker would have done the job.  I don't think he's impressed by showboating; he wants someone who knows their duty.
Nothing impresses the Judge.
Creative Common / Re: Cover Puns
Last post by paddykafka - Today at 10:49:37 AM
Harry 20's High on the Rock.

Harry becomes addicted to crack-cocaine.