Main Menu

Help identifying a 70's childrens TV show please?

Started by Mangamax, 28 November, 2016, 04:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangamax

Indeed. I think i asked this years and years ago, and i think someone here did come up with the answer but have long forgotten what it was.
So was hoping i might be able to have enlightenment again please?
Right, i dimly remember the following:
It was shown on Sundays,
on ITV i think,
but was (i think) Australian,
it had dinosaurs in it (think they were people in suits, rather than stop motion),
and there was some sort of control room where people were watching the dinosaurs on monitors.
And that's all i recall.
I've done a bit of searching and pretty sure it wasn't Land Of The Lost.
Ringing any bells?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

M.I.K.

The Adventure Game had dragon-things, monitors and somebody with an Australian accent in it, but that was on the BBC in the 1980s.

Mangamax

Ah, nope to both. This is much earlier - 1970-1975ish i'd say
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Richard

JayzusB.Christ

But Mangamax... I remember you and the other kids used to say you were watching that show, and all you did was look at the static for half an hour.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

Did anyone see Candlecove? I mean the syfy remake, not the beloved children's programme I remember with good ol' Skin Taker.

von Boom

I'd watch Robert Hardy in just about anything, but that sounds like it could have been great.

Tony Angelino

As a child of the 70's myself I can't think of this at all. I don't remember there being too many Australian TV shows (or shows that I later found out were Australian) shown in the UK.

I also don't think that Australia made too many shows that were shown in other countries in those days. Prior to the Paul Hogan Show in the 1980's and stuff like Neighbours the only Australian TV show I can remember as a kid was Skippy the Bush Kangaroo but that's clearly not the show you are talking about.

Its possible it could have been a Japanese TV show that was re-dubbed.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 January, 2017, 12:54:55 PM
Hands up anyone who would love to have seen Robert Hardy as Robert Baldick, a Victorian supernatural investigator with his own special train...
Baldick.

The Incredible Robert Baldick - Never Come Night [1972]

Tjm86

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 21 January, 2017, 10:01:59 PM
As a child of the 70's myself I can't think of this at all. I don't remember there being too many Australian TV shows (or shows that I later found out were Australian) shown in the UK.

My memory of seventies television is further muddied by recollection of Iranian TV broadcasts.  I remember the sound track to Star Trek being broadcast on the world service to time in with the Farsi broadcast on the telly.  Except it wasn't always in sync!  Back in the UK Dad only ever got telly for the Olympics.  Granted some of the places we lived in it didn't really matter as you could hardly ever get a decent signal.  Different world in those days!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 January, 2017, 12:20:43 AM

Thanks, Joe. Took me a while to download but I enjoyed that. It's a shame nothing ever came of it - Robert Hardy might just have been born to play that role and John Rhys-Davies was excellent too, despite his Monkey hairdo!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Corinthian

Phoenix Five is the only Australian science fiction series to have got much air time in the UK in the 1970s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Five

NapalmKev

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 21 January, 2017, 10:01:59 PM

I also don't think that Australia made too many shows that were shown in other countries in those days.

The 80's was rife with Aussie shows on UK television.

Particular favourites of mine were: Round the Twist, about a family living in a lighthouse where weird shit happened regularly.

Pugwall about a lad and his friends who form a band (not so fun fact: we looked like fucking twins and I was actually known as 'Pugwall' for awhile until I put my foot down. Hard!)

Betty's Bunch about a group of kids living with an old woman - this one was from New Zealand.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"