Main Menu

Stargate

Started by von Boom, 19 July, 2017, 05:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Expect an announcement regarding either a new Stargate film or series tomorrow at SDCC:

http://stargate.mgm.com/

Magnetica

Wow that's got me more excited than it probably warrants- given I haven't got round to finishing off Universe or Atlantis yet.

Professor Bear

Roland Emmerich certainly has no qualms about making unnecessary sequels years after the window of opportunity for success has closed, but I would personally hope for a tv series closer in tone to SG1 or Atlantis.

Smith

Funny story;I was thinking about rewatching SG-1(granted,I havent seen a good deal of it),so is it worth it?How does it hold up in hive-mind opinion?

Magnetica

It's always a solid 6/ 7 out of ten. Never worse, hardly ever better.

In fact the quality is amazingly consistent.

It's well worth watching if there is no Trek or BSG to watch.

Goaty

It could be sequel. As not likely to get new series as SG1 or Atlantis as they got one problem, they ran out of villains. Wish they finish off excellent Universe as check out final season scripts online as it perfect ending. Too bad. Same about the game too!

TordelBack

*Disclosure: my son is named after an SG-1 character*

Yeah, SG is consistency personified: every now and again there's a personnel switcharound and you think 'oh no, the entire cast has been replaced by the guys from Farscape and/or Firefly, this is no good', but after an episode or two of settling in it's back on an even keel.  Possibly the second quarter of the first season of SG-1 is a bit ropey while they establish a direction; later on neither Beau Bridges nor the repetitive tavern/marketplace sets on the Ori-storyline worlds ever really worked; and the TV movies were a bit weak, but other than that: consistently enjoyable, light-hearted, relaxing viewing, with very few mega-highs (the Groundhog Day one is very good), but even fewer ghastly lows.  We've rewatched all of SG-1 and Atlantis a few times now, and yeah, it stands up. 

Never grokked Universe, but am unjustifiably excited to hear what they have planned next.

Magnetica

I've never felt the need to re-watch any Stargate but there are episodes of Star Trek I have seen countless times and can imagine watching yet again.

Woolly

Forgive me if I'm misreading this, but wouldn't the '.mgm' in the web address suggest another movie?

I've heard a few rumblings over the years that Emmerich is wanting to reboot the whole franchise (not sure he has the rights to it any more though?)

sheridan

Quote from: Woolly on 20 July, 2017, 05:42:52 PM
Forgive me if I'm misreading this, but wouldn't the '.mgm' in the web address suggest another movie?

Nope - MGM has had a television arm since 1955.

Goaty

Twitter said it's Stargate Origins so it's a new series.

von Boom

It looks like their going back to when the Stargate was first discovered. A prequel series. A bit disappointing really.

Goaty

Professor Bear

Is this a crossover with Assassin's Creed: Origins?

von Boom

10 episodes of 10 minutes each. What's the point really? And on a streaming service only. It's like they're trying to fail.