Main Menu

Ready Player One review

Started by Bad City Blue, 29 March, 2018, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Tinmachine

I liked it a lot, a very different tone to the book though. The book was incredibly dark in places. The movie didn't want to go into that territory.

Think the novel Jurassic Park and compare it to the film, and I think that is a good comparison.

That said, I really did enjoy the film, it was a thrill ride from beginning to end, so much to take in, and would reward a second or even third viewing on a big screen. Actors had good chemistry. A good film for all ages, and the most fun I've had at the cinema for quite some time.

Very glad I avoided all the recent trailers for the film. One of the ones I saw today, gave way too much away, I'd even look to avoid some of the character posters out there, one of which is a huge spoiler for those who haven't read the book.

Bad City Blue

Quote from: Tinmachine on 30 March, 2018, 01:05:47 PM
I'd even look to avoid some of the character posters out there, one of which is a huge spoiler for those who haven't read the book.

Yeah it's nuts that

It's the first film for years I actually want to see again at the cinema straight away
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Tinmachine

Trailers are really becoming something to avoid.

I felt the same, there was too much detail in many scenes to take in everything. The sound editing was brilliant, vehicles had the right sound, as did the various guns. Loved seeing the M41A Pulse Rifle  :D

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Tinmachine on 30 March, 2018, 01:05:47 PM
I liked it a lot, a very different tone to the book though. The book was incredibly dark in places. The movie didn't want to go into that territory.

Think the novel Jurassic Park and compare it to the film, and I think that is a good comparison.

Agree with that. It's a decent, middle of the oeuvre, film from Spielberg.
On it's own it's a 7/10 for me but compared to the book it's a 6.5/10.

A decent effort. It's fun but lacks substance.

Mattofthespurs

Gotta say though...That whole [spoiler]The Shining bit[/spoiler] that wasn't in the book...Genius.

Worth the price of admission alone.

I loved it.

dweezil2

The plot and script were severely lacking, but if astonishing visuals alone sell a movie, it's for this one!

It's pretty much the visuals that drive the movie's plot at any rate.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Richard

Can't see anything wrong with the script.

It's an excellent film. Definitely needs to be seen on a proper big screen, preferably an IMAX.

Tinmachine

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 31 March, 2018, 06:14:25 PM
Gotta say though...That whole [spoiler]The Shining bit[/spoiler] that wasn't in the book...Genius.

Worth the price of admission alone.

I loved it.

Yes! That was probably my favourite part of the film. Was grinning from ear to ear.

dweezil2

Quote from: Richard on 01 April, 2018, 12:22:13 AM
Can't see anything wrong with the script.

It's an excellent film. Definitely needs to be seen on a proper big screen, preferably an IMAX.

The film is pretty much two and a half hours of exposition, playing out like a video game with its quest narrative structure, which of course is deliberate, rendering it fairly predictable, but it was still a lot of fun and the best thing Spielberg's done in some time, although I enjoyed The Post too.

It felt very much like a Tron for today's generation and yes that "homage" to a certain late director's work was a significant highlight!

The 3D was surprisingly great too!

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Rusty

I personally thought it was a medicare to borderline terrible film. Nearly everything that I think that brings down a film, this had. Just chucking in references for the sake of references does not make a good film. Wreck It Ralph did it, but it did it in a much more clever way, and it was a better film.

TordelBack

Quote from: Rusty on 02 April, 2018, 02:55:30 AM...chucking in references for the sake of references...

Haven't seen the film (wasn't going to either, but positive WoM is wearing me down), but in the book the endless referencing and recycling of late 20th C nerd-culture is a significant (if deeply silly) aspect of the plot, rather than being gratuitous. 

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 April, 2018, 01:34:38 PM
Quote from: Rusty on 02 April, 2018, 02:55:30 AM...chucking in references for the sake of references...
Haven't seen the film (wasn't going to either, but positive WoM is wearing me down), but in the book the endless referencing and recycling of late 20th C nerd-culture is a significant (if deeply silly) aspect of the plot, rather than being gratuitous.
It is, but it's also exceptionally tedious.
We never really die.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: I, Cosh on 02 April, 2018, 02:21:13 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 02 April, 2018, 01:34:38 PM
It is, but it's also exceptionally tedious.

I didn't think it was, in fact, I thought that was the fun of the film.
Lots of references to counter culture of the 70's, 80's and 90's which made it quite fun for this old bastard born in the late 60's.

Steve Green

Yeah, I'm umming and aahhing over it.

I don't really like the VR character humans at much, and at £20 for an IMAX 3D screening round these parts, I have to be really wanting to see a blockbuster for that money.

It also made me realise I haven't seen a new Spielberg film since Tintin.